PDA

View Full Version : Continual Headache - Help and Advice Please

Louise_Jones
12-04-2006, 19:48
My boyfriend has had a continual headache since two Sundays ago. He prefers to be in a dark, cool room. He is thirsty quite alot and passes urine more frequently than normal. He likes to drink ice cold drinks.

The left side of his head hurts also and the left side of his neck is also achey. He has taken pain killers, these have a small effect but do not totally remove the headache. He also finds it hard to move his limbs.
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/8331/monkey9xq.jpg
He has a doctors appointment in the morning.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Also his genital are itching quite badly.

Updated at 20:46

He also has a tiny bump on the left side of his skull

homealone
12-04-2006, 20:21
too be honest, those symptoms sound too diverse to attempt any advice, he will be best to wait to see what the doctor says.

I find aloe vera gel very soothing if I get itchy, not the groin for me, but as it is so bland, I'm sure it would be suitable.

Kliro
12-04-2006, 20:27
Not at all sure, but it sounds a bit like meningitus?

smicer07
12-04-2006, 20:44
Why has he waited so long to go to the doctor? Good luck.

homealone
12-04-2006, 20:58
Not at all sure, but it sounds a bit like meningitus?

as far as I know he would have been unlikely to survive for a fortnight, if that were the case ;)

- please let's not scare Louise any more than she is likely to be already, let the doctor be the one for the diagnosis. :)

<edit> Louise if you do get worried, phone your local NHS Direct & see what they advise :tu:

Halcyon
12-04-2006, 20:58
I would check the signs for Menengitis and monitor him very closely.
You could phone NHS direct for advice too on 0845 4647 and they will assess your symptomns and advise you what to do. Its open 24/7

Also see here: http://meningitisfacts.com/

It is probably not that but its best to be on the safe side and eliminate this.

tick
12-04-2006, 21:09
go to the doctor now.
why wait 2 week it could be something simple to cure .

Ramrod
12-04-2006, 21:27
What kind of headache is it......sharp/throbbing etc....?
Does he feel nauseous?
Is it difficult to move all his limbs.....any numbness/tingling?
Is his headache worse at any time of day/night?
Has he had an infection recently?
Any vision problems?
Does he have a temperature?

First thought is that the genital itching may be separate and unconnected.....

Louise_Jones
12-04-2006, 21:27
He has been out the house since he got the headache. He hasn't been bed ridden.

His headache is at its worst during the day, like just after he wakes.
No Vision Problems
The headache isnt that sharp
He can move his limbs but they do ache after not alot of movement

Salu
12-04-2006, 21:33
Louise. How long has he been like this? Has he had all these symptoms for a fortnight? He really should have sought help before I feel. Those symptoms certainly warrant an examination.

What makes you ask for advice at this stage? Has he got worse recently?

Let us know how he gets on tomorrow...If you are worried he is worsening then call your GP's number tonight.

Ramrod
12-04-2006, 21:36
He has been out the house since he got the headache. He hasn't been bed ridden.

His headache is at its worst during the day, like just after he wakes.
No Vision Problems
The headache isnt that sharp
He can move his limbs but they do ache after not alot of movementSome of the symptoms obviously match diabetes but I'm concerned waking up with a headache thats the worst at that time......do what Salu said.....

Louise_Jones
12-04-2006, 21:40
He is taking extra power pain relief caplets.

He started taking them today at about 12 noon. Has take 6 already. Two every 4 hours.

He can't take anymore until tomorrow afternoon.

Shabba
12-04-2006, 23:49
If he has a doctors appointment in the morning then i fail to see how you requesting help on a cable forum is going to help matters?

Even given Salu's advice - waiting for an answer on a forum relating to an obviously serious problem is a little bit silly!

Pia
13-04-2006, 00:38
They probably were just worried and wanted some reassurance or idea of what to expect from the doctor in the morning....

Halcyon
13-04-2006, 10:37
Let us know how it goes and that hopefully all is ok.

Louise_Jones
13-04-2006, 11:17
He just got back from the doctor.

The doctor didn't seem to concerned. He expalined his situation to the doctor, the doctor said that his eyes seemed perfectly healthy, his heart rate was normal.

The doctor asked if there was a history of diabetes within his family, which there isn't.

He was told to book an eye test and book a blood test and give a urine sample.

He has been told to take 2 paracetamol and 2 nurofen in order to cope with the pain of the headaches.

basa
13-04-2006, 11:23
:Yikes: Continuous headache, aching neck, difficulty moving limbs, constant thirst, bump on skull ??

I can't believe a GP would say just say "take more pain killers" :shocked: (Well actually nowadays yes I can ! :mad: )

If it is bad I would get off to A&E. :erm:

Ramrod
13-04-2006, 11:23
:rolleyes: :(

Salu
13-04-2006, 11:25
Louise: Glad to hear it. Let us know how he gets on following his results, if you wouldn't mind?

Everyone else: I think this is a good example of how hard it is to extract accurate information from written text to help shape advice. It's easy to jump to conclusions. The value of seeing someone in front of you is hugely beneficial in diagnosing problems and we need to bear this in mind when advising people.

It's also worth pointing out that most people on this site are not qualified to give medical advice and that any advice given here should be weighed carefully and not taken as Gospel.

Louise_Jones
13-04-2006, 11:45
It seems all they ever say is "take more pain killers" rather than give you a full check over and list a variety of options.

Stuart
13-04-2006, 11:57
Everyone else: I think this is a good example of how hard it is to extract accurate information from written text to help shape advice. It's easy to jump to conclusions. The value of seeing someone in front of you is hugely beneficial in diagnosing problems and we need to bear this in mind when advising people.

It's also worth pointing out that most people on this site are not qualified to give medical advice and that any advice given here should be weighed carefully and not taken as Gospel.

Excellent advice. I am not medically qualified, but I know from my own experience (being a computer technician) that if you try and diagnose a problem like this, it's entirely possible that the person describing the symptoms will miss something that is actually important, and the person they are talking to will have an entirely different idea of what is wrong than if they actually looked at the problem.

With a computer this can be bad. With a human, it could be a whole lot worse.

Ramrod
13-04-2006, 12:22
He just got back from the doctor<snip>.Does he get any nausea?

Louise_Jones
13-04-2006, 15:18
No

Gareth
13-04-2006, 15:32
No offence to anyone, but there's no way I'd take advice from anyone on a website when it comes to medical issues. I might ask your opinion on fixing a leaky tap or playing around with my 'puter, but not anything health-related.

Louise, hope your partner gets it all sorted as quickly and easily as possible with help from his quack.

Ramrod
13-04-2006, 16:05
No offence to anyone, but there's no way I'd take advice from anyone on a website when it comes to medical issues. I might ask your opinion on fixing a leaky tap or playing around with my 'puter, but not anything health-related.You just don't trust Salu or myself!:mad: :D

Nugget
13-04-2006, 16:08
You just don't trust Salu or myself!:mad: :D

Now Rammy - none of us would trust you to spell your own name :PP:

Salu
13-04-2006, 16:43
Ramrub isn't it?

Gareth
13-04-2006, 16:46
Heh, I really didn't mean to offend anyone by my post :angel:

...oh, and Ramrub, don't forget that we went to the same university, so of course I wouldn't trust you :PP:

nffc
13-04-2006, 16:55
...oh, and Ramrub, don't forget that we went to the same university, so of course I wouldn't trust you :PP:

Surely not at the same time though, you're 31 and he's 38? :erm:

Ramrod
13-04-2006, 17:04
Thats Mr Ramrub to you rabble! :mad:

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

...oh, and Ramrub, don't forget that we went to the same university, so of course I wouldn't trust you :PP:......and I'm a member of that uni once again now!:D

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Now Rammy - none of us would trust you to spell your own name :PP:Damn, I forgot the NRD!