PDA

View Full Version : Glasses are crooked

MadGamer
11-04-2006, 11:29
Thats right they are, and i look like a complete and utter nerd. Anyway gonna go to the opticians and ghet them straightened out this afternoon. Glasses seem to be so sensative, nowadays so even if you knock them ever so slightly they seem to go out of preportion.

Anyone else ever had any other experiences with their specs that they care to share?

MovedGoalPosts
11-04-2006, 11:44
You probably need those nice tortoiseshell brown chunky framed indestructible NHS things we used to get as kids (I assume they are still around today). Having said that, look after your glasses and they'll last years - My current pair is 5 years old and yep a recent eye test shows they are still the right prescription.

Nugget
11-04-2006, 11:47
I always thought that my glasses were crooked - took them in to get them straightened and the nice optician pointed out that it was actually my nose that was out of shape :erm:

Apparently, they can't do anything about that...

danielf
11-04-2006, 11:56
I always thought that my glasses were crooked - took them in to get them straightened and the nice optician pointed out that it was actually my nose that was out of shape :erm:

Apparently, they can't do anything about that...

I'd have no problem at all reshaping your nose :shrug:

Nugget
11-04-2006, 11:57

But would you help me pick a new one if it broke :disturbd:

danielf
11-04-2006, 11:58

Why do you say if? ;)

Nugget
11-04-2006, 12:00
Why do you say if? ;)

'Cos you're really weedy?

:PP:

danielf
11-04-2006, 12:12
'Cos you're really weedy?

:PP:

Hm, I hadn't thought of that :mis:

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-04-2006, 12:24
Hm, I hadn't thought of that :mis:

dont worry, theres a queue forming :D

MovedGoalPosts
11-04-2006, 12:27
hmm anyone care to remind me what the topic was?

DaggaDagga
11-04-2006, 12:32
Get yer money out and get titanium. Mine are light as a feather, really thin and I haven't yet managed to wreck them after a year. They did cost £300-plus though.

basa
11-04-2006, 12:48
..............They did cost £300-plus though.

:Yikes: I buy reading glasses from Tesco ..... £10. :p:

Chuck 'em out and get another pair when they get knackered. :D

(Only j/king. I do realise some people need more than cheap reading glasses :angel: )

Maggy
11-04-2006, 13:20

Going by your past avatar you already know how to do that...;)

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2006, 13:31
Thats right they are, and i look like a complete and utter nerd. Anyway gonna go to the opticians and ghet them straightened out this afternoon. Glasses seem to be so sensative, nowadays so even if you knock them ever so slightly they seem to go out of preportion.

Anyone else ever had any other experiences with their specs that they care to share?I don't wear my glasses as often as I should 'cos I look like a prat in them.

Mind you it looks like I'm going to need new glasses every couple of months or so now - talk about expensive :(

Anyway I found THIS site....

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/?vcn=google&gclid=CKimxKPupIQCFSwnMAodtw-QlQ

You could get a pair from there (Even 'bendable - ie memoflex - ones) really cheap.

DaggaDagga
11-04-2006, 14:03
GlassesDirect looks excellent. I was looking at ordering some new DIY specs from there, as my old ones are covered in varnish.

They're probably every bit as good as £300-odd ones. I can't see how any specs can be worth more than £50. The internet shakes up another load of fat cats again.

Nugget
11-04-2006, 14:06
Going by your past avatar you already know how to do that...;)

I know, but the leprechaun made me stop doing it :D

Ramrod
11-04-2006, 15:45
Get yer money out and get titanium. Mine are light as a feather, really thin and I haven't yet managed to wreck them after a year. They did cost £300-plus though.heh......I managed to break my titanium frames :D

MadGamer
11-04-2006, 15:56
Get yer money out and get titanium. Mine are light as a feather, really thin and I haven't yet managed to wreck them after a year. They did cost £300-plus though.heh......I managed to break my titanium frames :D Ive done that before, though i dont think they were titanium. It did cost £50 though to repair

Nugget
11-04-2006, 16:17
Ive done that before, though i dont think they were titanium. It did cost £50 though to repair

:shocked: 50 quid to repair??

Next time, try Specsavers Wayne - I've always got mine from there, and a decent new pair has never cost me more than £90.

Mind you, if we're still talking about glasses... :naughty:

nffc
11-04-2006, 19:23
Get yer money out and get titanium. Mine are light as a feather, really thin and I haven't yet managed to wreck them after a year. They did cost £300-plus though.

£300- mine were less than half that, including wicked lenses. Titanium too.

Druchii
11-04-2006, 19:24
Had loads of glasses thoughout my life, and always managed to write them off within 6months, heh.

Strangely though, my eyes seemed to get better within a period of 2 weeks just a year ago, my vision is really good now, so, i've taken an eye test and they say that it's upto me whether i want to wear any or not... I gave them up, and wow, everything is fine :)

My last pair of glasses are bent... haha.

DaggaDagga
11-04-2006, 20:40
I think my lenses cost more than the frames, as I've got crap vision so they look like jam jars unless I get the thinnest lenses they do. Well worth it.

I've always bought semi-cheapo in the past, but these are Clavin Klein (probably made in a sweatshop in China then). They do seem to be staying together better than the anybrand ones I've had before.

Top tip - wash them instead of wiping them. They don't get scratched then. Fill the bathroom sink with hot water and a squirt of washing up liquid, swish them about holding the arms, then rinse under hot tap and wipe with a very clean towel. Good as new.

And don't hold the arms when drying them or you'll eventually snap them. I did with my last pair anyway.

Gareth
12-04-2006, 00:56
My missus tried Glasses Direct... she then sent 'em back and went to a local opticians. They are cheap, but the cheap ones are poor quality - they can send you them through the post if you want to see the quality. Also their range of designer glasses is very limited.

The biggest problem, however, is that they only ask you to provide your prescription details and the pupillary distance. As any good ophthalmologist will tell you, getting a pair of glasses that fits perfectly requires more than just the pd. As my wife wears her glasses constantly every day, it is crucial that they be comfortable and correctly fitted. In the end, Boots were doing a good deal, so she bought some Armani ones for every day use and got a 2nd pair for free.

It cost her more than Glasses Direct would have charged for their glasses, but I think that buying glasses is like buying toilet roll or cornflakes - getting the cheapest ain't always the best option.