PDA

View Full Version : sky+ get data off hd without taking hd out

webstuff
11-04-2006, 02:23
Hey All

Just wondered if anyone knows how this can be done. I have 10mb ntl and sky plus. I would like to be able to pull recorded shows off the sky+ box and transfer the data to a pc. Is there any way i can do this without having to pull the hd out of it? I notice there is a usb port on the back, so is there any way of networking it. Any thoughts would be appreciated as i can't seem to find much out there on this subject

have fun

webstuff

Download Failed (1)

Neil
11-04-2006, 08:07
You'll need a DVD recorder to archive the programmes you have recorded.

I don't think you will be able to archive movie channels as I believe they are encrypted.

HTH.

Download Failed (1)

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2006, 08:09
There is no way to do this. Even if you did take the drive out and put it in yout pc you STILL couldn't access the data as the stream is stored encrypted on the drive.

The only way do to what you want to do is to feed your sky+ box into a tv/vivo card on your pc and record it like that.

Stuart
11-04-2006, 09:32
Hey All

Just wondered if anyone knows how this can be done. I have 10mb ntl and sky plus. I would like to be able to pull recorded shows off the sky+ box and transfer the data to a pc. Is there any way i can do this without having to pull the hd out of it? I notice there is a usb port on the back, so is there any way of networking it. Any thoughts would be appreciated as i can't seem to find much out there on this subject

have fun

webstuff

As pointed out above, you won't be able to, as the data is encrypted. They do this deliberately, as they don't want people to be able to make perfect copies of the original, then burn them to DVD and sell the DVD at the local market or Ebay.

I am not saying that you would, just that people do, and Sky don't want to be seen to be encouraging it.

Neil
11-04-2006, 09:43
As pointed out above, you won't be able to, as the data is encrypted. They do this deliberately, as they don't want people to be able to make perfect copies of the original, then burn them to DVD and sell the DVD at the local market or Ebay.

I am not saying that you would, just that people do, and Sky don't want to be seen to be encouraging it.

It most certainly can be done. :)

I think it's only Sky Box Office & Sky Movies that use Macrovision protection to prevent them being copied from the Sky + box.

You have to connect a DVD Recorder via the 2nd SCART socket & copy over that way (as I already said ;) )

[Edit]

Here's a picture:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/04/9.jpg

James Henry
11-04-2006, 15:37
Macrovision Neil? That's reserved for cable companies and can and is decrypted in real time :p: Sky use Videoguard.

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2006, 16:19
Macrovision Neil? That's reserved for cable companies and can and is decrypted in real time :p: Sky use Videoguard.Is that besides the thousands of videos and dvd's that are macrovision protected ;):)

Neil
11-04-2006, 16:28
Macrovision is used by Sky for Box Office channels (& normal movie channels too I'm fairly certain) :)

Stuart
11-04-2006, 16:28

It most certainly can be done. :)

Yeah, I know about the Analogue way of doing it... In fact that is pretty much how I have my Tivo hooked up to the NTL box. Just pointing out that Sky's standard software will not allow you to rip the data directly off the hard disk.

altis
11-04-2006, 16:55
You can't even get the data off the HDD by plugging it in another Sky+, you need the original box!!!

RealDiamond
12-04-2006, 18:03
Sky stop you recording Sky box office events buy saying "they are multi start events so you have no reason to record them as you can watch any time during 1 full day" 5am-5am and if you order an event but dont watch it they wont charge you. :shocked: right yea not gonna risk that. only Box office is protected movies 1- 10 record fine and do HD stand alone recorders exsist yet, nope.

Stuart
12-04-2006, 18:20
Give the companies time. HD is a very small market ATM.

James Henry
12-04-2006, 20:55
Is that besides the thousands of videos and dvd's that are macrovision protected ;):)
Ah yes Rip Guard for the DVDs, they even have a copy protection for non-video CD/DVD media if you're really that interested in it, namely Safedisc, presently on version 4.6. Works with a proprietary API and uses a series of logic gates and tables to access and decode encrypted areas of memory and executes instructions in the style of an unwrapped VM based on extremely obfuscated mathematical operations. A single couple of operation instruction in native x86 can take thousands of ops on CPU to execute using the Safedisc API and obfuscation engine.

I'm referring to Macrovision the broadcast conditional access scheme if we're really having to be pedantic :rolleyes:

Yes people being pedantic is a bugbear of mine. ;)

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Macrovision is used by Sky for Box Office channels (& normal movie channels too I'm fairly certain) :)
They use a weaker copy protection scheme for Box Office than they do the other stuff? Some mistake surely?

Videoguard is their proprietary and uncracked copy protection system. I'm not even sure if the Sky boxes have a Macrovision CAM.

EDIT: Ah now I understand, the streams are protected with Macrovision then encrypted with Videoguard system, the Macrovision protection is to prevent recording of the decrypted Videoguard stream. My apologies Neil, you were correct. Where it says that you can't record the movie it is due to Macrovision encoding. A slightly different version from the rather poor encryption scheme that cablecos use, and the Sky+ box doesn't have a Macrovision CAM as it doesn't remove the Macrovision signals.

dilli-theclaw
12-04-2006, 21:41
Is that besides the thousands of videos and dvd's that are macrovision protected ;):)
Ah yes Rip Guard for the DVDs, they even have a copy protection for non-video CD/DVD media if you're really that interested in it, namely Safedisc, presently on version 4.6. Works with a proprietary API and uses a series of logic gates and tables to access and decode encrypted areas of memory and executes instructions in the style of an unwrapped VM based on extremely obfuscated mathematical operations. A single couple of operation instruction in native x86 can take thousands of ops on CPU to execute using the Safedisc API and obfuscation engine.

I'm referring to Macrovision the broadcast conditional access scheme if we're really having to be pedantic :rolleyes:

Yes people being pedantic is a bugbear of mine. ;)

So - why do the dvd's have 'macrovision copy protected' on them if they aren't?

edit - I mean I don't understand what the difference is between what you're saying and what the 'manufacturors' if you like are saying.

James Henry
12-04-2006, 22:04

edit - I mean I don't understand what the difference is between what you're saying and what the 'manufacturors' if you like are saying.
I was referring to the encryption not the copy protection sir, while Neil was referring to the copy protection and not the encryption. Cue confusion :angel:

Macrovision do both copy protection and encryption of TV signals.

dilli-theclaw
12-04-2006, 22:08

I was referring to the encryption not the copy protection sir, while Neil was referring to the copy protection and not the encryption. Cue confusion :angel:

Macrovision do both copy protection and encryption of TV signals.Ah - I see :tu: :)

nicke261192
16-04-2006, 00:25
the USB is for installers to use