PDA

View Full Version : New cordless drill

bopdude
10-04-2006, 14:59
Hi all, guessing that this should go here.

Ok, I'm a DeWalt fan by habbit but bought a Makita just before xmas ( waiting for it to come back from repair :rolleyes: ) I still have my deWalt 18v and swear by it / them.
What I'm looking for are some personal recommendations, critieria.............

Must have variable speed / s
Must have hammer action
Must have torque settings
Must be managable

I've looked at the Hitachi but they seem to be percussion drills, not clever when using steel bits :( apart from that, they would be great.

Not to bothered about about voltage, although the larger drills, 24v+ are a lot less managable with one hand.
Above all, I'm looking for a drill that will take some stick as it WILL get some :erm: hammer :tu:

Anyone ???????????? and don't forget, I'm looking for personal recommendations from peeps that have or have had these drills :tu:

Chris
10-04-2006, 15:07
On the whole, I think this is a DIY sort of thread so should be in lifestyle - moved.

mrm1
10-04-2006, 15:07
I purchased a Worx 24v WX24HD from Homebase last year and I am very satisfied. A lot of torque.

13mm NOKEYââ€Æ¦Ã‚¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ chuck.
2 gear variable speed 0 to 350/0 to 1300rpm.
24 torque settings.
1 hour charger.
Hammer function.
PowerTest↞¢ battery status indicator.
Soft grip handle.
2 x 24V/1.7Ah battery packs.
Auxiliary handle.
2 x double ended bits.
Carry case.

Link http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20001&langId=-1&catalogId=3951&productId=236965

I know the 24v is more weighty than lower voltages, but I find the extra power more than makes up for this. I have done a ton of work with it, into contcrete, wood, and even 1/4" steel.

yesman
10-04-2006, 15:47
I use this and swear by it

Download Failed (1)

The Rolls Royce of cordless drills, the Hilti TE 6-A, you will need to break the bank to buy it though £450 + the dreaded.
The drill is quite heavy due to the 36v battery, but there is an attachment that comes with it whereby you clip the battery onto your work belt.

If this drill is a bit to big, its baby sister might be more up your street,
SFH 151-A Cordless Drill/Driver

greencreeper
10-04-2006, 16:12
On the whole, I think this is a DIY sort of thread so should be in lifestyle - moved.
I think we need a forum on Sex and Sexuality

handyman
10-04-2006, 16:37
You can't go wrong with a dewalt.

Out of interest if you have a 18v dewalt and a makita why do you need another drill? Or is it just that you dont have a good hammer drill?

Enuff
10-04-2006, 19:13
I use this and swear by it

http://www.us.hilti.com/data/images/prodlarge/de00818.jpg

The Rolls Royce of cordless drills, the Hilti TE 6-A, you will need to break the bank to buy it though £450 + the dreaded.
The drill is quite heavy due to the 36v battery, but there is an attachment that comes with it whereby you clip the battery onto your work belt.

If this drill is a bit to big, its baby sister might be more up your street,
SFH 151-A Cordless Drill/DriverThere's a nice hardly used one on ebay here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HILTI-TE-6-A-DRILL_W0QQitemZ7608340247QQcategoryZ50208QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

MovedGoalPosts
10-04-2006, 20:48

Out of interest if you have a 18v dewalt and a makita why do you need another drill? Or is it just that you dont have a good hammer drill?

A real man can never have enough drills :D

sorry been watching too many repeats of Home Improvement :cool:

bopdude
10-04-2006, 21:37

Well the DeWalt is getting on and the Makita is in for repair to soon ( no faith in it now :( )
In my work I need a drill I can trust, at £80 I think I'll try mrm1's worx, at that price you can use it and throw away after 6 months, hope its a s good as the hype ;)

Think I'll have another DeWalt as well, like Rob says, a man can never have enough drills .................lol