PDA

View Full Version : Moving Box

bri@n
27-11-2003, 01:01
I want to move the box that comes into the house for broadband (no TV). If I needed to extend or shorten the cable could I expect problems or should I call an NTL engineer to do it?
Thanks in advance.
Brian

Pointman
27-11-2003, 01:05
I want to move the box that comes into the house for broadband (no TV). If I needed to extend or shorten the cable could I expect problems or should I call an NTL engineer to do it?
Thanks in advance.
Brian

Dredging from my long ago experience in the call centre.

Generally speaking, if you call your local office they'll send you (at a small cost) a piece of cable with fitted connections (up to 4m).
Longer than that can degrade signal and then an engineer may be needed.

At least thats what the deal was in the past.

Still worth calling your local office

SMHarman
27-11-2003, 09:20
For broadband, you can leave the box where it is and extend the cat5 cable from the box to the PC up to 100 metres I think with no problems.

Extending / shortening the coax, anything 10m in either direction is unlikely to cause a problem, but above that will cause a change in signal strength that may result in poor operation.

Pointman mentions getting cables from the office, this is sometimes a problem, you can often find an install team in your area willing to make up a cable for you, or go to Maplin or somewhere similar and buy sat/catv coax, not just cheap TV stuff, the screenings not good enough and the connections, then make your own.

If you get problems you can always replace it with the original cable and then call an engineer for £50.

bri@n
27-11-2003, 10:42
Many thanks for your advice. I am moving the box because the cable extends round 3 sides of the house (attractive NOT) so I want to get the cable in the house ASAP and do modifications from there. Extending the CAT5 cable sounds the best option so far.

Thanks again
BT

SMHarman
27-11-2003, 11:10
This makes it sound like you want to move the white box that is attached to the internal wall?

If so that should really be an engineers job.

If you want to avoid wires, you could always plug the SACM into a wireless router and connect to your broadband wirelessly. You could tuck the cables well out of sight then.

bri@n
27-11-2003, 15:31
Sorry it wasn't clear. Yes the white box seems easier to move than the "tamper-proofed" grey box. Can I not apply your first solution?
Regards

SMHarman
27-11-2003, 15:40
Sorry it wasn't clear. Yes the white box seems easier to move than the "tamper-proofed" grey box. Can I not apply your first solution?
Regards

Well you can, but you are moving NTL attached equipment, so according to their T&Cs should not.

Also if it goes pear shaped and you have cut x metres out of the cable then it will not be possible for you to reinstate as was.

Also I imagine, that unless you have a particularly small house the cable running around the 3 sides is likely to be above 10m long, so your signal is likely to be over strength post move.

bri@n
28-11-2003, 00:13
Thanks, you've been a great help.
BT