PDA

View Full Version : Sky and programme info.

orangebird
05-04-2006, 09:15
I succumbed to the wants of my other half and got Sky+ installed in our new house. It rocks, and am very happy with nearly all of it. Just one thing that bugs and me and always has done about Sky. Whilst watching one channel and browsing through the mini guide looking at other channels, why the bloody hell can't they supply the info on other prgrammes there and then, rather than having to either go to that prgramme channel (if it's on at that time), or having to go into the tv guide, therefore unable to watch what you were watching. At least with ntl, you could get info on any prggramme at any time, and if you did have to go to the guide for any reason, you could still watch your programme in the right hand corner of the screen. ****es me off royally. :mad:

Derek
05-04-2006, 09:23
Yup one of the few plus points of the Ntl EPG over Sky.

Seemingly its because they only put minimal EPG information in the stream and you have to tune to a dedicated guide for more in-depth details.

Why they can't use the 2nd Sky+ tuner for this when its not in use I don't know.

Chris
05-04-2006, 09:53
Sky's digital epg was so far ahead of any of the competition at the time it was launched, I think they have sat on their laurels a bit and done less than they could have to keep it cutting edge. It got its first update in years a few weeks ago, and has greatly improved the way Favourite Channels works, amongst other things. However it is still not as flexible as the NTL epg.

On the other hand, you do get a full week's listings out of it, which makes setting the STB and the video to work together while you're on holiday a lot easier.

orangebird
05-04-2006, 11:13
Sky's digital epg was so far ahead of any of the competition at the time it was launched, I think they have sat on their laurels a bit and done less than they could have to keep it cutting edge. It got its first update in years a few weeks ago, and has greatly improved the way Favourite Channels works, amongst other things. However it is still not as flexible as the NTL epg.

On the other hand, you do get a full week's listings out of it, which makes setting the STB and the video to work together while you're on holiday a lot easier.

I'm not one that plans their viewing at all tbh. If I'm on holiday, I really couldn't care less about what's on TV. The most I do is set up series link of some of the prgs that I've Sky +'d (Nighty Night, Soccer AM and Jimmy's Farm to be exact). I just want to be able to, for example, see which episode of friends is coming up next whilst watching the one currently showing. BUt unless I go into the bloody guide, I can't. V annoying.

RealDiamond
09-04-2006, 11:17
The feature you are requesting was removed when sky+ was launched. yes SKY+ resulted in the EPG losing that exact feature.
because the EPG was the same on every sky box, even boxes with just one scart socket on the back SKY+ changed all that. As the guilde is realy a seperate channel (think instant Teletext). so you can thank SKY+ users as they needed room in the guilde for the infomation alowing the recording of 2 channels + playing back one at the same time. loads more info needs to be sent and decoded. and now the EPG is even bigger with HD TV included (but normal boxes wont be able to access it)

TheBlueRaja
09-04-2006, 13:17
The most I do is set up series link of some of the prgs that I've Sky +'d (Nighty Night, Soccer AM and Jimmy's Farm to be exact).

I wish i had a grilfriend like you! Top call! :tu:

Easy! Easy! Easy! :D

orangebird
10-04-2006, 08:46
The feature you are requesting was removed when sky+ was launched. yes SKY+ resulted in the EPG losing that exact feature.
because the EPG was the same on every sky box, even boxes with just one scart socket on the back SKY+ changed all that. As the guilde is realy a seperate channel (think instant Teletext). so you can thank SKY+ users as they needed room in the guilde for the infomation alowing the recording of 2 channels + playing back one at the same time. loads more info needs to be sent and decoded. and now the EPG is even bigger with HD TV included (but normal boxes wont be able to access it)

IIRC, it's never been able to show info on other programmes. It's a lot more dated that Sky+... :confused:

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 ----------

I wish i had a grilfriend like you! Top call! :tu:

Easy! Easy! Easy! :D

I larve it, larve it, larve it larve it, laaarve it! :D It's what our saturdays are based around, and the reaon why we got sky in the bedroom - Soccer AM, cup of tea and bacon sarnies in bed. :drool:

handyman
10-04-2006, 09:50
IIRC, it's never been able to show info on other programmes. It's a lot more dated that Sky+... :confused:

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 ----------

I larve it, larve it, larve it larve it, laaarve it! :D It's what our saturdays are based around, and the reaon why we got sky in the bedroom - Soccer AM, cup of tea and bacon sarnies in bed. :drool:

I'm the same with saturday kitchen :)