PDA

View Full Version : Free Criminal Record Check

BigDave1
03-04-2006, 13:36
EDIT - PLEASE DO NOT COME ON HERE EXPECTING TO BE ABLE TO FIND OUT SOMEONE'S CRIMINAL BACKGROUND OR ASKING IF THERE IS ANYWHERE YOU CAN GET A FREE CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK - THIS CANNOT BE DONE AND YOU WOULD BE WASTING YOUR TIME.

Where is a website that does a totally free criminal record check on a person of your choice? Thank You

Derek
03-04-2006, 13:40
I wouldn't think there would be one for all manner of data protection and privacy reasons.

Certain jobs can have applicants vetted by going through a government agency but I don't think criminal records are available to the general public.

Angua
03-04-2006, 14:23
If you run a business/organisation that requires employees to have a CRB check done the employees/potential employees have to complete a form which you provide and apply themselves. More details here (http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=310)

homealone
03-04-2006, 14:31
If you run a business/organisation that requires employees to have a CRB check done the employees/potential employees have to complete a form which you provide and apply themselves. More details here (http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=310)

thanks for that link, Angua

as the Rehabilation of Offenders Act allows for

Once a conviction is ‘spent’, the convicted person does not have to reveal it or admit its existence in most circumstances.

I would imagine that would preclude 'public' access to any database.

basa
03-04-2006, 14:47
Any individual can get a Basic Criminal Record check on-line through Disclosure Scotland (http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/basic.htm).

Whilst not free (£20) it is available to anyone with a UK address and does not show 'spent' convictions.

You can also obtain a copy of all convictions recorded on the Police National Computer by application to your nearest Police Station. It takes up to 40 days and costs £10 per person. Download forms from the web site of your local Police authority.

I should add the info. available is that which applies to the applicant only (you have to give ID proofs).

Escapee
04-04-2006, 18:46

I have never understood how that one works in practice.

I have worked for three different defence companies, and have been cleared to BC, SC, DV and "some others" above that level. The information regarding any criminal convictions including details of spent ones are placed in a sealed envelope for the vetting agency. This information is never disclosed to the company applying for the security clearance.

I thought this was due to civil liberty reasons, the vetting agency does not reject anyone for a criminal record as far as I know apart from Treason or professional malpractice. I'm not sure how a CRB check going to any old Tom, Dick or Harry company would be allowed to disclose conviction details to an employer.

AndyCambs
05-04-2006, 22:48
Don't forget that the Rehabilition of Offenders Act (Spent Convictions) does not apply in some circumstances..

liam130
27-10-2007, 15:50
hiya people does any1 know where i can get a free criminal record check on a person please.

Russ
27-10-2007, 16:01
hiya people does any1 know where i can get a free criminal record check on a person please.

You can't get a check on someone else without their permission. If it's for yourself (or you get the 3rd party's permission) then you still have to pay, I believe it's around £45.

Escapee
27-10-2007, 17:07
It has always seems strange to me that you can attend court and obtain the names of the defendants and details of the cases as they are going on and newspapers print the stories.

Why though is this not listed on a web as a searchable database, I don't see how it has anything to do with data protection. I have been looking for details on someone locally, I have found a newspaper report from a court case where he stabbed someone 3 years ago, so what would be the difference if that info was available on the court website?

Pedro1
28-10-2007, 12:00
Join the police if you want information like that.

You can apply for a subject access report from the police records it will cost around 10 quid.

I had to submit one as i work for TNT but you can't get one in someone elses name or find out about another person.

That information is not for public access.

Derek
28-10-2007, 17:38
Join the police if you want information like that.

Except you can't just check the PNC for information when you want a giggle. You need to have valid reasons for running a check on someone and if you get caught looking at things you shouldn't be you can be in *big* trouble.

That information is not for public access.

Maybe it should be though. On one hand there is the whole 'No smoke without fire' where the public might think they just got off with it due to smart lawyers and loopholes and extract some street justice.
On the other hand it might be useful to show a bit more transparency in the process letting the public see what people are charged with and how its resolved. It would also let them see sentencing overall rather than just the headline cases.

Personally I think it should be more open. I'd be happy to see the courts entire business displayed which would show how many people don't turn up, have cases delayed or plead guilty at the last moment to get the reduction in sentence.

Nidge
28-10-2007, 18:52
Where is a website that does a totally free criminal record check on a person of your choice? Thank You

You have to pay for them I'm affraid Dave, it's a bit of a con because when the old checks used to be used the local Police station did them all, all you did was filled in your name and address and gave it to the guy on the desk, the same thing happens now only with an agency in the middle, you phone the CRB offce up in Liverpool and ask them for a enhanced CRB form, they'll send you one when it suits them, when you get it you'll fill it in and furnish the form with £40 of the old english. When your form gets to Liverpool they'll open it put it in a file for it to be processed. When the fell like it they'll send it to your local police station for any criminal convictions to be added to it, if your local police station have a backlog you could be waiting upto 4 months, when the police have finished with it they'll send it back to Liverpool for them to open it then process it again and leave it in a file for god knows how many days or weeks, they'll then put it in a print que for it to be printed, when it's been printed they'll send it back to you.

Basically it's done a full circle, nothing has changed from when the old system was used a few years ago before Ian Huntly went on his murdering spree, like I mentioned above when the police used to do them on their own the system was much quicker, it used to take 10 days at the most to get your records back, the government have created a new department run by Centrica making millions of pounds each year from people who need these enahnced CRB checks to enable them to work, I'd sooner give the money to the police, they could make better use of it. Most of you will have heard of Centrica they are the ones who make billions of pounds a year running government departments.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

I have worked for three different defence companies, and have been cleared to BC, SC, DV and "some others" above that level. The information regarding any criminal convictions including details of spent ones are placed in a sealed envelope for the vetting agency. This information is never disclosed to the company applying for the security clearance.

I thought this was due to civil liberty reasons, the vetting agency does not reject anyone for a criminal record as far as I know apart from Treason or professional malpractice. I'm not sure how a CRB check going to any old Tom, Dick or Harry company would be allowed to disclose conviction details to an employer.

Any convictions which are classed as spent cannot be held against you when applying for any job, sexual offences come under a different catagory I think.

Pedro1
28-10-2007, 18:55
Except you can't just check the PNC for information when you want a giggle. You need to have valid reasons for running a check on someone and if you get caught looking at things you shouldn't be you can be in *big* trouble.

Maybe it should be though. On one hand there is the whole 'No smoke without fire' where the public might think they just got off with it due to smart lawyers and loopholes and extract some street justice.
On the other hand it might be useful to show a bit more transparency in the process letting the public see what people are charged with and how its resolved. It would also let them see sentencing overall rather than just the headline cases.

Personally I think it should be more open. I'd be happy to see the courts entire business displayed which would show how many people don't turn up, have cases delayed or plead guilty at the last moment to get the reduction in sentence.

I totally agree.

Nidge
28-10-2007, 19:00
You can't get a check on someone else without their permission. If it's for yourself (or you get the 3rd party's permission) then you still have to pay, I believe it's around £45.

When I was Taxi driving in Mansfield Russ I got whiff of someone who'd been given a badge by Mansfield Council who'd got 6 convictions for gross indecency against children plus he'd got loads of other convictions against him, the drivers kicked up a stink so I went on a mission, I got a hold of this guys CRB via a person who shall remain anon, anyway his forms came back to me and they were 4 pages long, he was also operating under a few different names, I took the forms to the Council, theuy asked me where I got them from? I didn't reveal my source but I told them if they let this guy carry on driving a taxi in Mansfield with his past convictions I'll go to the press and the local TV and radio stations, within 4 hours they'd revoked his badge and told him he couldn't drive a taxi in Mansfield, the Council phoned me up and told me that they'd revoked his badge, I'd already been to the press and given them copies of his enhanced CRB records check, It's easy when you know people in the right places:angel::angel::angel:

Pedro1
28-10-2007, 19:04
When I was Taxi driving in Mansfield Russ I got whiff of someone who'd been given a badge by Mansfield Council who'd got 6 convictions for gross indecency against children plus he'd got loads of other convictions against him, the drivers kicked up a stink so I went on a mission, I got a hold of this guys CRB via a person who shall remain anon, anyway his forms came back to me and they were 4 pages long, he was also operating under a few different names, I took the forms to the Council, theuy asked me where I got them from? I didn't reveal my source but I told them if they let this guy carry on driving a taxi in Mansfield with his past convictions I'll go to the press and the local TV and radio stations, within 4 hours they'd revoked his badge and told him he couldn't drive a taxi in Mansfield, the Council phoned me up and told me that they'd revoked his badge, I'd already been to the press and given them copies of his enhanced CRB records check, It's easy when you know people in the right places:angel::angel::angel:

Good stuff people like that shouldn't even be alive, they are a wast of clothes.

Nidge
28-10-2007, 19:19
Good stuff people like that shouldn't even be alive, they are a wast of clothes.

Cheers Pedro, when I was doing the dirty deed I kept thinking to myself am I doing the right thing, will I be in the wrong for getting a hold of another persons information? In the end I thought sod it if it keeps people safe then I'm going to go for it, I still have his forms in my filing box in the cupboard at the side of me here;);););)

Pedro1
28-10-2007, 19:30
Copy them all and post it in all the local shops and everything so the whole housing estate knows about him.

i have 2 boys, 9 and 7 and i would be horrified if someone like that was in my hosing estate.

Rita Malone
29-10-2007, 13:04
Criminal records is like last retribution. It ensures that the ex convict has about as much chance at getting a job as Milwall winning the World cup. Rehabilitation act says one has to drag your criminal record around for the next ten years or so. How can you be rehabilitated when you are forced to drag the past around?

I know nothing of a free criminal record check website. I am sure everyone would say they wish they had one. Yet again, British society is summed up in Channel four's Brass eye:(

pjm
09-06-2008, 21:01
criminal record check on Edited

Stuart
09-06-2008, 21:12
Err, if you are an employer and you need to check this, you can go through the Criminal Records Bureau. We are a cable TV website and cannot check. If any of our users had access to check, and did, they'd be violating all sorts of laws (not least the Data Protection Act).

goldoni
09-06-2008, 22:03
I get two free criminal record checks done. One for Barnardo’s and the other one is done by my local council as I’m on an approved list sent out by that council for the over 50s Trades list.

One other point if you get a criminal record check done to see if previous convictions are spent you have to apply to each force. So if you had been a rude boy in London and Stevenage you would need to apply to The Met and Hertfordshire constabulary to see what records they hold and if they are spent. Not all criminal records are spent after ten years.

As far as I’m aware and I'm no expert there are no free CRC checks.

Nidge
10-06-2008, 05:06
I get two free criminal record checks done. One for Barnardo’s and the other one is done by my local council as I’m on an approved list sent out by that council for the over 50s Trades list.

One other point if you get a criminal record check done to see if previous convictions are spent you have to apply to each force. So if you had been a rude boy in London and Stevenage you would need to apply to The Met and Hertfordshire constabulary to see what records they hold and if they are spent. Not all criminal records are spent after ten years.

As far as I’m aware and I'm no expert there are no free CRC checks.

No CRB checks in England are free, I've had 2 since January and every time I've had to pay, going onto the spent convictions most companies now are not accepting spent convictions, they are holding them against you. I was a bit of a boy back in the 80's you know the time when your hormones are all over the place, well I got into a bit of a scrape with the law, that is still on my record, potential employers are holding it against me.

goldoni
10-06-2008, 09:18
No CRB checks in England are free, I've had 2 since January and every time I've had to pay, going onto the spent convictions most companies now are not accepting spent convictions, they are holding them against you. I was a bit of a boy back in the 80's you know the time when your hormones are all over the place, well I got into a bit of a scrape with the law, that is still on my record, potential employers are holding it against me.

My point was they CRC were free to me but both Barnardo’s and the Council had to pay to get the information. I was also given a copy of the original form which I will soon be able to wallpaper the smallest room as I now have quite a few proving my Good character. :angel:

Regarding spent convictions once they are spent they can’t be used by anybody or Company because The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 allows people to start with a clean slate, but there are exceptions to this general principle. For further information Link (http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/chapters/the-right-to-privacy/spent-convictions-and-rehabilitation-of-offenders/)

Stuart
10-06-2008, 09:26
Regarding spent convictions once they are spent they can’t be used by anybody or Company because The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 allows people to start with a clean slate, but there are exceptions to this general principle. For further information Link (http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/chapters/the-right-to-privacy/spent-convictions-and-rehabilitation-of-offenders/)

This is true... I applied to the MOD for a job a few years back, and was told that as part of the application process they would be searching for any criminal record of mine, and would be including spent convictions.

Nidge
10-06-2008, 15:06
My point was they CRC were free to me but both Barnardo’s and the Council had to pay to get the information. I was also given a copy of the original form which I will soon be able to wallpaper the smallest room as I now have quite a few proving my Good character. :angel:

Well the company I was going to work for didn't want to know when my records came back with an offence on it from the early 80's, that job didn't involve being with vunerable people, I stated the rehabilitation of offenders act, they said we don't work with that law if you've got a conviction then your excluded from the job application.

TheDaddy
10-06-2008, 15:14

So why do they list spent convictions on a non enhanced disclosure, they never used to, farming it out to a private firm was the worst thing that could have happened to ex offenders who were genuinly rehabilitated. When is Nidge's debt to society paid for instance, when he had finished whatever punishment the courts deemed appropriate or 30 years later when it is still being held against him?

What do they mean

they said we don't work with that law if you've got a conviction then your excluded from the job application.

They don't obey the law then, seriously you appear to have a water tight case, I'd seek opinions from the CAB becasue they can't get away with doing this

PeteTheMusicGuy
10-06-2008, 15:21
Last time I checked you cant pick and choose what laws to follow I'd say you have a case there

Nidge
10-06-2008, 20:06
So why do they list spent convictions on a non enhanced disclosure, they never used to, farming it out to a private firm was the worst thing that could have happened to ex offenders who were genuinly rehabilitated. When is Nidge's debt to society paid for instance, when he had finished whatever punishment the courts deemed appropriate or 30 years later when it is still being held against him?

What do they mean

they said we don't work with that law if you've got a conviction then your excluded from the job application.

They don't obey the law then, seriously you appear to have a water tight case, I'd seek opinions from the CAB becasue they can't get away with doing this

2 jobs I've applied for over the last 2 months have all involved having a CRB records check, both of the firms have said that the rehabilitation of offenders act does not come into it when they look at your forms. Don't know what's going off but it stinks beyond anything.

TheDaddy
11-06-2008, 05:54
2 jobs I've applied for over the last 2 months have all involved having a CRB records check, both of the firms have said that the rehabilitation of offenders act does not come into it when they look at your forms. Don't know what's going off but it stinks beyond anything.

Depends how much you want the jobs really, you know what to do, might also be worth speaking to your honourable member, this system is flawed, a mate of mine even had a court case that was dropped appear on his, fancy that, the judge directs the jury to aquit and it still shows up on a CRB check.

If you can't be bothered with that, why don't you personally apply for a level 1 certificate, I am sure they only have unspent convictions on those.

Yes they do here is a link, also it has loads of info about what to with regard to the previous jobs you were denied

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/chapters/privacy/spent-convictions-and-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders/employment.shtml

danny08
02-07-2008, 19:26

sorry m8 i aint got a clue if you find out please let me no ill carry on looking and if i do then ill let you no
thanks

danny whiteoak

Jon T
02-07-2008, 19:58
The post your quoting is from April 2006, also the poster is a banned member. I'd suggest that your unlikely to hear anymore about this.

the_neurotic_cat
04-07-2008, 21:42
I talk regularly with an retired police officer and this subject comes up from time to time. He usually points out to me that people with criminal records are the ones that have been both found out and convicted. We all need to feel safe, but this kind of information won't make that happen, probably the opposite.

wwe
05-07-2008, 05:14
what do the police use then i thought they would have a website they use

Graham M
05-07-2008, 08:43

A website!? For what? To find out convictions? No that will all be a big internal database!

AndyCambs
05-07-2008, 09:41
Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act - you're not obliged to disclose most convictions to anyone (with certain restrictions).
Any information like this would be severely restricted under the Data Protection Act as well.

Derek
07-07-2008, 11:00

The Police use a large Police national computer. Never ones to go for fancy acronyms it's called the PNC. ;)

TheDaddy
31-07-2008, 06:22
Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act - you're not obliged to disclose most convictions to anyone (with certain restrictions).
Any information like this would be severely restricted under the Data Protection Act as well.

Lets hope so, although if you notice there is a web site advertising criminal record searches in the UK at the top of this page, I can't believe they can do this?

http://gov-reports.net/uk-search.php?search=UKFLAG&title=Personal%20Records

k_ck
02-09-2008, 18:50
hi i was just wanderin i got a five year reprimand when i was 16 for theft i was wanderin if after the 5 years is it cleared or will it still show up on crb checks???

Chris
02-09-2008, 18:56
The Police use a large Police national computer. Never ones to go for fancy acronyms it's called the PNC. ;)

Currently being updated to the "Police National Database". Guess the acronym. :D

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

hi i was just wanderin i got a five year reprimand when i was 16 for theft i was wanderin if after the 5 years is it cleared or will it still show up on crb checks???

It will show up. Whether a potential employer is entitled to take it into account depends on whether the conviction is 'spent' under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, and whether the position you're applying for is exempt from the ROA.

k_ck
02-09-2008, 19:11
so why is it called a 5 year reprimand what happens after the 5 years??

Chris
02-09-2008, 19:13
so why is it called a 5 year reprimand what happens after the 5 years??

Possibly it ceases to be taken into account should you require sentencing for anything else after the five years is up, like a suspended sentence? Or does the five years mandate a period of supervision by social workers or parole officers? I don't know, it was your sentence, don't you remember? :p:

k_ck
02-09-2008, 19:17
lol nope it was never really explained to me nothin has bin said or done about it tho.i was hopin ot would just go off it dependin on what the crb check was for.thanku tho

Danlows1
16-03-2009, 00:28

I am an active PCSO in the Met and can say for traffic offences the general rule of thumb is they are wiped after 7 years after the sentance is spent.
Civil court judgements are not removed at all but should not affect your job applications except if you are trying to work with vunerable/ young people and have a custody judgement against you.
Magistrates court judgements should be kept for ten years, but shouldnt affect your applications either.
Crown court judgements follow that rule as well, with a few exeptions such as sex offences.

I think people are getting confused between the CRB check and the PNC check. The CRB check can be done by anyone, on anyone, as long as they have permission in the form of ID of the subject of the check. Spent convictions should not be displayed in the basic form.
PNC can only be checked by MoD staff, the Police and a few other agencies to a reduced degree, such as the DVLA.
If i call up on the radio for a name check (PNC), the operator has on their display the subjects last known address, bail conditions if any, if the subject is wanted on various types of warrant which i wont go into now, and most importantly (for me), any warning markers the subject has. These are basically a way of telling me quickly if im dealing with a axe wielding mentalist, or just someone who is a gang member.
If i ask for a PNC printout, however, what i get is a ream or so of paper detailing all the times the subject has been arrested, what for, and what the final results were.
I should note here that the final results are not the sentance, just what police action was taken.
Finally, i can ask for a court printout which gives me even more paper which has ALL of the subjects court results (even spent ones) on it.
The reason for the distinction between the last two is that the police force has no direct influence on the judicial system, so all the police do is gather the evidence and deliver it to the CPS who make the decision on behalf of the crown whether it would be in the public interest to charge them.
Contrary to popular belief (thanks, the bill!), the police have limited discretion, to decide if they should charge the subject. If the subject is arrested, the police only have 4 options, caution, final warning, charge or release them. In effect the CPS determines if there has been a crime.
If anyone wants to discuss this in more detail, pm me.

rogerdraig
16-03-2009, 01:46
how old are you now and what sort of job is it

spent convictions are not normally put on any CRB unless the conviction is seen to be relevant by person doing the CRB or supposedly if a police officer is concerned about the person and then it wouldnt appear on your copy it is attached to the requsting agencies copy under strict non disclosure rules

see
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=310
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=1871

there is also this section that the requsting agency can get

http://www.crb.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1858

if you want to see what the form looks like see here

http://www.crb.gov.uk/pdf/crb11%20guidance.pdf

xxxcraigxxx
22-08-2009, 00:26

Nidge
22-08-2009, 03:37
how old are you now and what sort of job is it

spent convictions are not normally put on any CRB unless the conviction is seen to be relevant by person doing the CRB or supposedly if a police officer is concerned about the person and then it wouldnt appear on your copy it is attached to the requsting agencies copy under strict non disclosure rules

see
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=310
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=1871

there is also this section that the requsting agency can get

http://www.crb.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1858

if you want to see what the form looks like see here

http://www.crb.gov.uk/pdf/crb11%20guidance.pdf

Just to clear this up, I have a spent conviction from 26 years ago and it still shows up on every CRB check every 3 years. With my job I'm not exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.

zing_deleted
22-08-2009, 09:54
its an adult conviction isnt it? afaik thay will always be on record

rogerdraig
22-08-2009, 19:10
Just to clear this up, I have a spent conviction from 26 years ago and it still shows up on every CRB check every 3 years. With my job I'm not exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.

does the type of conviction have anything to do with the type of job you do ?

might be worth asking why they put it on there if it doesn't

be aware though even if it goes from your copy it could still be included in the other section the employer gets

Chris
22-08-2009, 19:46
If it's a conviction, it doesn't have to be relevant to the job application. So long as the employer is entitled to ask for a complete criminal record history, regardless of whether or not any convictions are spent, that is exactly what they will get.

webcrawler2050
22-08-2009, 20:05

In an old role, I gained BC, SC and then one to DV security clearance. The vetting process does not reject anyone with convictions, as long as your open and honest about it. However, any security clearance you try to get and have been served a custodial sentance, they will interview you at great length.

I also, have a conviction that is now spent and don;t have to declare it but the above was pretty hard to get but i can say, honesty is the best policy.

Nidge
23-08-2009, 08:48
We all did daft things when we were young me being no exception:dunce::dunce: Why do people have to pay for it all their life's when it comes to gaining employment?? IMHO the rehabilitation of offenders act needs looking at ASAP, also the amounrt of time between CRB's needs sorting out, A few years ago I had a CRB in the March then in the April I needed clearence to go onto another site, I had to have another CRB which cost me £35, just because I was over the 30 day mark by 3 days.

Kymmy
23-08-2009, 09:54
We all did daft things when we were young me being no exception:dunce::dunce: Why do people have to pay for it all their life's when it comes to gaining employment?? IMHO the rehabilitation of offenders act needs looking at ASAP, also the amounrt of time between CRB's needs sorting out, A few years ago I had a CRB in the March then in the April I needed clearence to go onto another site, I had to have another CRB which cost me £35, just because I was over the 30 day mark by 3 days.

Probably due to the fact offenders are very inconsiderate and tend to offend 365 days a year.. If they increased the time between crb's then people might slip through the net..

webcrawler2050
23-08-2009, 11:38

I'm with Nidge on this one - it needs looking at - convictions of some description, need to be looked at - there is two kinds of people, that get convicted / make the mistake. Those that, make the wrong choice once and learn by it and never do it again and there are those that consistantly offend and make the wrong choice over and over and never learn. I think, with CRB's, there should be some form of interview, at the end of the day, there is always a story behind a conviction, no matter what - desperation, made the wrong choice at the time, etc etc. I know this, thats how I got my conviction. I'm lucky, mine is spent now so i'm lucky that I don't have to declare it but for others, declaring it is again another gut call - I know you have to but sometimes it's better not to say anything, rather than being judged for a past mistake.

rogerdraig
23-08-2009, 13:17
I'm with Nidge on this one - it needs looking at - convictions of some description, need to be looked at - there is two kinds of people, that get convicted / make the mistake. Those that, make the wrong choice once and learn by it and never do it again and there are those that consistantly offend and make the wrong choice over and over and never learn. I think, with CRB's, there should be some form of interview, at the end of the day, there is always a story behind a conviction, no matter what - desperation, made the wrong choice at the time, etc etc. I know this, thats how I got my conviction. I'm lucky, mine is spent now so i'm lucky that I don't have to declare it but for others, declaring it is again another gut call - I know you have to but sometimes it's better not to say anything, rather than being judged for a past mistake.

explaining to employer can help just because there is a conviction and or other information given to employer doesn't mean they have to automatically refuse you the job the CRB is just advice to us it is our decision whether to use that to exclude the person or not

remember though too even spent convictions can appear on the employers other section if the CRB or an officer or other person involved in getting the information believes it is relevant to the application

always a good idea to tell your employer everything that could impact on the job

lucy7
23-08-2009, 14:00
explaining to employer can help just because there is a conviction and or other information given to employer doesn't mean they have to automatically refuse you the job the CRB is just advice to us it is our decision whether to use that to exclude the person or not

remember though too even spent convictions can appear on the employers other section if the CRB or an officer or other person involved in getting the information believes it is relevant to the application

always a good idea to tell your employer everything that could impact on the job

Baring soul, and the honesty is the best policy is ALWAYS the best way forward.

I was with my ex husband in a shop a very long time ago, the idiot unknown to me took his old shoes off and put some brand new expensive ones on........in other words he nicked them!

He was spotted, we both got pulled into the office, and the police were called. The lady store detective said I had been a look out!?!
Off to the police station we went, my ex would not admit to doing it, said the shoes were his.........what a nutter!
I was 8 months pregnant at the time, and in a cell, even the police man who interviewed me said I was with a wrong un.......did I listen......NO!

Long story, but in the end I got charged as well, went to court, I got a solicitor on the case and found not guilty,ex husband was found guilty.

Right, so thats the story.....................went for a job where I had to declare all, I was so scared to, even though I had not done anything and found not guilty.

I could not bare to tell them why i could not start the job, I was ashamed in a wierd way.
They hounded me as they wanted me, in the end I told them the story, they said thats is so long ago and it was not your fault, please come and work for us................I did!

The moral to me baring soul to all now is ..............what has happened is in the past, even if one has done wrong, is it is the past!
Any employer worth his salt will still want you if you are the best person for the job.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

Why do I never read the whole thread before posting????

An old one, oh well once typed and all that!!!

How do the old threads keep coming up?
Who else has trouble sleeping???? :)

Kymmy
23-08-2009, 15:00
Right, so thats the story.....................went for a job where I had to declare all, I was so scared to, even though I had not done anything and found not guilty.

There's no job where you would of had to declare a NOT guilty... It wouldn't even appear on an indepth CRB report..

lucy7
23-08-2009, 19:00
There's no job where you would of had to declare a NOT guilty... It wouldn't even appear on an indepth CRB report..

I know that now, but I was young when it happened (a long time ago) I thought if you had been through the court system it showed up on a check that companies did, so as I didnt want to lie, I told them about it in the end.

webcrawler2050
23-08-2009, 19:06
I know that now, but I was young when it happened (a long time ago) I thought if you had been through the court system it showed up on a check that companies did, so as I didnt want to lie, I told them about it in the end.

No being found not guilty shouldn't show unless you have been cautioned.

Kymmy
23-08-2009, 19:45
If you've been cautioned then you've admitted your guilt in the offence..so not guilty is nothing to do with a caution :rolleyes:

rogerdraig
23-08-2009, 20:18

i beg to differ if the offense that you were being prosecuted for was seen as being possibly relevant as part of a pattern or even a concern to the police despite your Not Guilty verdict it could still appear in the second part of the CRB that the employer gets

cant get at the relevant pages at the moment will try and find where the new umbrella agency has hidden them later

here is where they have hidden part of it lol why they need to move these pages around all the tome is beyond me

http://www.crb.gov.uk/guidance/rb_guidance/handling_police_force_info.aspx

the information in this letter can contain information like previous court cases no mater if they were successful or not and even just suspicions of relevent behaviour or contacts

Kymmy
23-08-2009, 20:57
Hmmm, reading more into it "False allegations" i.e..events recorded by the police but which you have been found not guilty or not even been taken to court may be recorded on the CRB by the relevant police authority..

Now that's quite shocking... There is though an appeals process for it and the police are only supposed to disclose such matters which are directly relevant (i.e.. if applying to a school and you have information on the system that you were investigated for child abuse then they would add the investigation to the notes on the CRB)

I can see it's relevant to some applications but from what I've seen it's not foolproof :(

TheDaddy
23-08-2009, 21:32
Hmmm, reading more into it "False allegations" i.e..events recorded by the police but which you have been found not guilty or not even been taken to court may be recorded on the CRB by the relevant police authority..

Now that's quite shocking... There is though an appeals process for it and the police are only supposed to disclose such matters which are directly relevant (i.e.. if applying to a school and you have information on the system that you were investigated for child abuse then they would add the investigation to the notes on the CRB)

I can see it's relevant to some applications but from what I've seen it's not foolproof :(

No it's not fool proof, the changes Roger alludes to were brought in because of Ian Huntly and the bizarre thing is even if the checks were avaliable then he'd have still killed those girls, they went to a different school to the one he was working at and went to his house to visit his girlfriend.

The whole thing needs more than looking at, treating it as a business means the CRB are happy to provide details to anyone that asks and until people like Nidge take prospective employers to court and hit them in the pocket for abusing the system it'll continue.

rogerdraig
23-08-2009, 23:39

the slightly worrying thing ( though i have yet to see irrelevant information on a CRB ) is that that extra form i get i cant tell you about in any case so you would not know that the information had been given as it only goes on the employers copy and is not sent to the applicant on their copy

Kymmy
24-08-2009, 00:05
the slightly worrying thing ( though i have yet to see irrelevant information on a CRB ) is that that extra form i get i cant tell you about in any case so you would not know that the information had been given as it only goes on the employers copy and is not sent to the applicant on their copy

Yep I saw that and it's even an offence for an employer to divulge that information to anyone else INCLUDING the person who the CRB is about :rolleyes:

Yet another mess the goverment has rolled out..

rogerdraig
25-08-2009, 01:43
No it's not fool proof, the changes Roger alludes to were brought in because of Ian Huntly and the bizarre thing is even if the checks were avaliable then he'd have still killed those girls, they went to a different school to the one he was working at and went to his house to visit his girlfriend.

The whole thing needs more than looking at, treating it as a business means the CRB are happy to provide details to anyone that asks and until people like Nidge take prospective employers to court and hit them in the pocket for abusing the system it'll continue.

tend to agree there was a whole thread on about someone wanting virgin to crb all its sales staff this it was never meant for it is only supposed to be used for those with access to children and vulnerable adults and sometimes for those who will be in jobs like bank managers where they have access to lots of money

but many employers seem to be trying to use any contact with the public as an excuse to get one done hence the advice i gave of telling a prospective employer anything that they may feel could be in some way to do with job as even though your copy of a CRB doesn't show it it may well be on the employers copy you not telling them wont go down well

i would suggest to that any one asked to have a CRB done asks why and i they feel its not appropriate to contact the CRB and ask them why its needed for that job they may find that they cant justify it

i would suggest any one asked to do one just to be in sales is being asked only so the employer can find out more and not because it is needed for the job as i cant see that it would lead to unmonitored access to the vulnerable groups all the time

Derek
25-08-2009, 15:42

Applying for the Police you have to declare *any* charges etc. regardless of the outcome. I'd imagine a few other other jobs are the same.