PDA

View Full Version : OAP Buggys and such (NOT Road cars)

Hom3r
02-04-2006, 18:09
Can anybody tell me if those electric buggys that a lot of OAPs ride, are thay road legal?

The reason I ask is that in my area the is some old fool who ride one in the road (some have buses & lorries), on his back he has a note that says he can drive in the road.

But can he? I mean he's not Taxed, insured, MOT'd, no lights.

One day he's going to cause an accident, or worse end under the wheels of a bus.

marky
02-04-2006, 18:14
I think its down to the maximum speed, not to sure
They may be classed as electric wheelchairs wich dont need tax etc.
Imo they are pedestrians as such and should not create a hazzard on the road :shrug:

Paul K
02-04-2006, 18:16
Only certain types are permitted:
http://www.techmobility.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.08.&pgid=126
DFT info here (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_mobility/documents/page/dft_mobility_611259-06.hcsp)

bmxbandit
02-04-2006, 18:19
i'd far rather they were on the pavement: buggy + pedestrian = bruised shins, buggy + 44 ton artic = messy...

then again, i'd say the same for bikes.

Paul K
02-04-2006, 18:23
I'd rather that anyone using a disability scooter was made to take a mandatory test/ course before being allowed to take one on the pavements or road. A large proportion of people using these scooters are a menace to other pedestrians or road users and often make no effort to use the scooters safely or with due care and attention.

marky
02-04-2006, 18:28
I'd rather that anyone using a disability scooter was made to take a mandatory test/ course before being allowed to take one on the pavements or road. A large proportion of people using these scooters are a menace to other pedestrians or road users and often make no effort to use the scooters safely or with due care and attention.
Like a the simple cbt they have for mopeds, because at the end of the day they are risking there lives :(

Paul K
02-04-2006, 18:33
Like a the simple cbt they have for mopeds, because at the end of the day they are risking there lives :(
Not just their own lives, they risk the lives of pedestrians and other road users when they take the scooters out. Most scooter users are cautious and courteous users but there are also the people that behave like dodgem drivers and have no road sense what-so-ever. These are the users that should have to take a course to teach them to use the scooters safely and sensibly. No-one wants to take away a persons independance but you have to draw the line when peoples' lives or health are put at risk :(

JediMaster
02-04-2006, 18:45
I used to have a Electric Wheel Chair... To be road legal it had to have Lights & 6mph speed. I only went on road if the Kerb was to high (only on little roads) not the busy roads or M4 lol

They should be Pavement ONLY. As they are a risk IMHO

driver_problems
02-04-2006, 19:02
Can anybody tell me if those electric buggys that a lot of OAPs ride, are thay road legal?

no - they are definately not! - no license plates for starters. There is a massively busy huge roundabout near here (about 2 miles away) that connects dual carriageways and the other day there was some silly old duffer - smoking a pipe in the process no less - in one of these devices right out in the center lane of the thing with juggernauts bearing down on him. There are proper lanes and paths for these people and cycles and pedestrians at this place.

The reason nothing is done about it is that the plod are reluctant to give these people a proper ticket and fine as they are afraid of the "police target OAP when proper criminals are allowed to get away with it" type headlines that will inevitably ensue ;)

you can bet they have no road insurance for accidents that they may cause also

Paul K
02-04-2006, 19:04
not quite right, try clicking the links in my post above, Class 3 buggys are legal to be used on the road but other types of scooter are not allowed on the roads legally.

driver_problems
02-04-2006, 19:19
not quite right, try clicking the links in my post above, Class 3 buggys are legal to be used on the road but other types of scooter are not allowed on the roads legally.

maybe so - but if you get killed cos a juggernaut doesn't notice you it doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things

ian@huth
03-04-2006, 09:39

The reason I ask is that in my area the is some old fool who ride one in the road (some have buses & lorries), on his back he has a note that says he can drive in the road.

But can he? I mean he's not Taxed, insured, MOT'd, no lights.

One day he's going to cause an accident, or worse end under the wheels of a bus.Paul has given a link which sums up the use of mobility scooters. Users of these are very much like all other road users, you have got users who are sensible and others who are idiots. What you have to remember when driving on the road is that whilst you may be a brilliant driver you may come across someone who isn't. Some of the ones that aren't may be driving mobility scooters, some driving cars and commercial vehicles, some riding cycles and motorcycles and some just on foot. Always drive with the expectation that one of these may suddenly appear on the road in front of you.

I do think that any user of a mobility scooter should be tested for competance to drive one and be issued with a licence to drive it. There are many supermarkets and shopping centres which lend out electric mobility chairs and scooters but rarely do they ask if you have any experience of driving one. Nothing worse than letting someone with no previous driving experience of them loose with one in a crowded supermarket or shopping centre which have restricted spaces and ankles galore.

A bigger nuisance around here at the moment though is those petrol driven kids motorbikes. They are not road legal and shouldn't even be used in public places or on the pavement having quite a fast top speed. I can't understand parents who allow their children to ride them unsupervised on pavements and the road when they know how fast they can go.

Maggy
03-04-2006, 09:59
The biggest annoyance to me is that on Saturdays there is a huge collection of these 'vehicles' outside the town's Witherspoons on the high street.

So not only no licence,training or insurance you can probably add drunk driving as well. :Yikes:

Taf
03-04-2006, 11:57
I have been hit twice by people in the free loaner electric wheelchairs in the local Tesco store.... and have had several near misses... and I witnessed a toddler mown down by one... luckily no injuries sustained...