PDA

View Full Version : New install - upstairs?

timelord1984
02-04-2006, 01:03
Hi,

This might be a stupid question - but has anyone had telewest install broadband to an upstairs room?

I'm currently with pipex ADSL and can only get 1mb, maxdsl probably won't get things much better, so I'm considering the telewest 10mb connection.

The thing is currently my ADSL router is based in an upstairs bedroom - obviously with a phone line extension from the BT master socket. I would rather have my main PC wired to my router (new one for cable obviously) - along with a wired connection to my NAS drive, with a laptop and secondary PC acessing it wirelessly as they do at the moment.

Basically is it likely I would be able to get it into an upstairs bedroom - rather than the living room - which wouldn't be practical due to having nowhere to put the router and there being two dogs roaming around!
It maybe possible for it to go straight though the wall of the bedroom (external wall) and just run down the side of the house, rather than naviagte around the room.

One final thing - how is the broadband supplied from the external cable box to the modem? - coaxal cable? or standard phone cable? - if the latter my extisting extension could be moved to the cable connection and that would solve the internal wiring problem :)

Many thanks

Matt

Druchii
02-04-2006, 01:19
Co-Axial.

And there should really be no problems installing it into an upstairs room, they ask you where you want everything, and we had our phone wired to the complete opposite side of the house to our cable and set top box.

Usually things like this really aren't a problem.

timelord1984
02-04-2006, 11:49

I might just go ahead and order online then - if they think it's too much work / not practical then I'll stay with adsl.

Matt

Graham M
02-04-2006, 13:41
There are houses and flats everywhere with the cable run up the outside wall and into an upstairs room so I can't see that there would be a problem in your case Timelord :)

timelord1984
02-04-2006, 13:47
Good point!

homealone
02-04-2006, 18:20
You should be fine, provided there is a way to route a cable from the access point at the front of the house, to the rear bedroom.

My NTL cable is connected to a rear upstairs room, by being clipped to the wall round the side of the house, but as far as I know, NTL will not route a cable over a roof, if you are in a terraced house you may have to think of an alternative.

- that could include routing the cable inside the house (messy) or looking at a wireless solution.

timelord1984
02-04-2006, 18:42
Well my bedroom is above the garage (detached house) - so has access all around the house. The cable access point is at the end of the drive (near the grass side). I would hope the cable could come:

up from the cable access point through the side of the garden, onto the house, up to just above the garage - along, round the side of the house and into my room from this side wall. Then once in the house it will be an ideal position (as my desk backs onto this wall).

Matt

handyman
02-04-2006, 20:32
Well my bedroom is above the garage (detached house) - so has access all around the house. The cable access point is at the end of the drive (near the grass side). I would hope the cable could come:

up from the cable access point through the side of the garden, onto the house, up to just above the garage - along, round the side of the house and into my room from this side wall. Then once in the house it will be an ideal position (as my desk backs onto this wall).

Matt

I cannot see this being a problem. If your looking at a new router best suggestion is going to be a linksys one. Would not be a bad idea to get a wireless one then you have flexability if you get a laptop or wanna do ps2/3 or xbox/360 in the lounge live.

timelord1984
02-04-2006, 23:13
Well at the moment I already have a wireless router (with integrated ADSL modem) - Netgear DG834G, which I know I'll need to replace anyway. All my wireless kit is netgear (other than the integrated wirless in the laptop).

I'll look into a linksys router- I'm sure I've read somewhere (probably a post here!) that they seem to give a faster connection than routers from other manufacturers.

Any particular model you would recommend?

My current router is wired to my main pc & a nas drive (the reason for me wanting the cable to enter upstairs is to keep my setup in the same place.)

In addition to this there is a wireless PC downstairs, a wireless laptop and a wireless xbox (original).

Thanks
Matt :)

Graham M
03-04-2006, 09:27
The Linksys WRT54GS is supposed to be very good and very customisable and Ithink there is some custom firmware you can download for it to increase the WiFi power (increasing range, and reliabiliy)

timelord1984
03-04-2006, 14:10
Thanks for that - seems likely if I bought one online though I'd get a v5 model - which would prevent me from using 3rd party firmware.

Seems the WRT54GL is now the version running linux with enough memory for a thid party firmware.

Thanks everyone for help - just going to plan exactly where I thnk the cable can go, then I'll go ahead and order :)

Matt