PDA

View Full Version : Here's a challenge: optimising TV/web experience for my parents?

gat1
01-04-2006, 23:03
I'm back home staying with my parents, who have been with NTL for over 5 years. They're paying £46 per month for a package of 600kbps broadband, TV base pack and phone rental. However, the following problems exist:

1) Our house is in a hollow, and receives fuzzy TV through a conventional arial. We've only got NTL in one room, but would really like it in a second room.

2) We'd like PVR functionality in at least one room (mirroring to the second room would be great).

3) There's no real need for TV stations beyond what's now available on freeview. However, we can't use freeview boxes which work through the roof arial because of the bad reception.

4) My parents maintain a BT phone line, and will not consider changing it.

5) Broadband (at some speed) is necessary.

You see the difficulty. I'm aware of the impending NTL PVR offer, which sounds like an ideal solution for our second room, but I think it's going to be 2007 before it reaches our area. In the absence of that, how much is it likely to cost to add a second NTL box (including installation) in the meantime?

Would it be possible to cancel the NTL service, but get a freeview type experience from the existing line? Could we hold onto our existing set-top box to do this, or would we have to buy another?

If we cancelled our NTL service, even for a few months, would we then qualify for the join-up offers and free installation (which we could use for our second room)?

If we did cancel, is it worth switching our requirements over to Sky for a while?

Stephen
01-04-2006, 23:18
best bet is to phone and say you are thinking of leaving NTL and thet may offer you a better deal.

Are you sure they still have 600k broadband as the lowest offered by NTL is now 1MB.

Graham M
01-04-2006, 23:49
600k was upgraded to 750k and then to 2MBit, if they haven't been upgraded, they need to phone NTL as they aren't getting what they are paying for, they may also be able to get some compensation.

gat1
03-04-2006, 14:51
The price seems to have come down to £33 per month for basically the same thing (there's now a 3GB cap on internet usage, but this shouldn't bother the folks). The extra box seems to cost £50 for install and £15/mo thereafter.

paul11974
03-04-2006, 15:09
The price seems to have come down to £33 per month for basically the same thing (there's now a 3GB cap on internet usage, but this shouldn't bother the folks). The extra box seems to cost £50 for install and £15/mo thereafter.

there is no cap on the broadband in the 3 for £33 deal

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

you have a few options and that is the 3 for £33 deal with ntl which includes unlimited local calls http://www.home.ntl.com/page/3for30existing?layout=eclayout

or homechoice £14.99 for there base pack http://www.homechoice.co.uk/packages/2mb_base_pack.html seeing as you want to keep your phone line i would say homechoice is your best option

Neil
03-04-2006, 15:18
My parents maintain a BT phone line, and will not consider changing it.

Have they not got an ntl line too?

I've never come across anyone who has managed to get ntl DTV without having an ntl phone line too.

You see the difficulty. I'm aware of the impending NTL PVR offer, which sounds like an ideal solution for our second room, but I think it's going to be 2007 before it reaches our area.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the ntl PVR.

In the absence of that, how much is it likely to cost to add a second NTL box (including installation) in the meantime?

£15.00 per month from memory.

Would it be possible to cancel the NTL service

As long as you are out of the initial 12 month contract, then you just need to give 30 days notice.

but get a freeview type experience from the existing line?

Could we hold onto our existing set-top box to do this, or would we have to buy another?

I don't think ntl offer any kind of Freeview equivalent.

If we cancelled our NTL service, even for a few months, would we then qualify for the join-up offers and free installation (which we could use for our second room)?

Probably-as long as you signed up under a different name.

If we did cancel, is it worth switching our requirements over to Sky for a while?

Sky carries a 12 month contract.

HTH.

gat1
03-04-2006, 15:26
Are you sure they still have 600k broadband as the lowest offered by NTL is now 1MB.

Turns out they did get the 1MB upgrade. Here's their old breakdown:

1 Base£21 .50
1 Digital Set top box rent-
1 Broadband Internet 1Mb24.99
1 Standard 321-
1 Line Rental with TV pack-
Total full month service charges £46.49

It's a bit of a shocker how they weren't told that they could get basically the same thing for £33!

I'll discuss with my parents whether it's worth switching to Sky for a bit, then going back to NTL when the PVR is available.

Graham M
03-04-2006, 15:39
1MBit isn't 24.99. That's 2MBit

gat1
03-04-2006, 15:53
Should the 1MBit be £17.99?

There's some notes in the file my mum left which looks like she'd been disputing the rate with them. Recent bills are definitely charging £24.99 for 1Mbit.

Graham M
03-04-2006, 16:08
Correct, it should.

paul11974
03-04-2006, 19:36
homechoice is your best option http://www.homechoice.co.uk/packages/2mb_base_pack.html

Chris W
03-04-2006, 19:43
your parents could switch to the Select Pack, which is £16 a month (including telephone line rental). If they don't want the phone line, they have to pay the rental anyway unfortunately.

However, the channel lineup is similar to freeview, details here (http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/selectpack)

Marge
03-04-2006, 19:52
Have they considered porting the BT number onto the ntl telephone line, no charge for doing this or are they just wanting to stay with BT anyway??

homealone
03-04-2006, 20:17
Have they considered porting the BT number onto the ntl telephone line, no charge for doing this or are they just wanting to stay with BT anyway??

as they are paying for it anyway, that would make sense, but people's brand loyalty can be very stubborn ;)