PDA

View Full Version : Can't change proxy server

caveman
25-11-2003, 22:08
I've been having terrible troubles with email lately (either slow or none at all) and been unable to get through to tech support.
So I decided to try and overcome this by changing the proxy server. I have the list downloaded from robin walker site. But I cannot connect with any other but the one that it's currently on.
Do you have to inform NTL of your decision to change, so they can set up differently their end or am I doing something wrong, or would changing server make no difference anyway.
The way I try and do it is Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN settings - Advanced - alter the proxy server address. Alas to no avail

th'engineer
25-11-2003, 22:11
I've been having terrible troubles with email lately (either slow or none at all) and been unable to get through to tech support.
So I decided to try and overcome this by changing the proxy server. I have the list downloaded from robin walker site. But I cannot connect with any other but the one that it's currently on.
Do you have to inform NTL of your decision to change, so they can set up differently their end or am I doing something wrong, or would changing server make no difference anyway.
The way I try and do it is Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN settings - Advanced - alter the proxy server address. Alas to no availCave man there are DNS probs tonight so that might be the reason

here (http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4531)

caveman
25-11-2003, 22:41
Thanks for response. As this is only affecting my email, I will leave it. But I will record thread and keep info regarding alterations in Local area connection / TC/PIP for another time. BTW what is DNS and where do you get info regarding NTL outages (whatever that means) and any other useful info re. NTL working on servers etc. Why do they seem to always be doing something with no noticeable difference at the end. I seem to have had trouble for 48hrs. now.
Am I being too critical, as I was on dial up with Virgin for 3 years without ant trouble whatsoever.

zovat
27-11-2003, 13:16
Thanks for response. As this is only affecting my email, I will leave it. But I will record thread and keep info regarding alterations in Local area connection / TC/PIP for another time. BTW what is DNS and where do you get info regarding NTL outages (whatever that means) and any other useful info re. NTL working on servers etc. Why do they seem to always be doing something with no noticeable difference at the end. I seem to have had trouble for 48hrs. now.
Am I being too critical, as I was on dial up with Virgin for 3 years without ant trouble whatsoever.

DNS= Domain Name System....

What it does is take the name of a website (www.yahoo.co.uk for example) and translates it into an IP (Internet Protocol) address eg : 192.168.123.112.
When this fails, if you do not know the IP address for the site you wish to browse (or connect to in any way) you will be unable to connect to it. :(

as for server status - look here (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp) for the current server status according to NTL.

Hope This Helps :)

Dooby
27-11-2003, 14:30
just to illustrate the DNS thing, and also provide the address incase you ever want to check the server status and cant, and you suspect the DNS is the problem, the IP address of that page is ( currently )

http://212.250.5.117/lookup/default.asp

worth bookmarking...

( oh, i say currently cos there is nothing stopping NTL moving that domain to a different IP at some point )

zovat
27-11-2003, 15:03
just to illustrate the DNS thing, and also provide the address incase you ever want to check the server status and cant, and you suspect the DNS is the problem, the IP address of that page is ( currently )

http://212.250.5.117/lookup/default.asp

worth bookmarking...

( oh, i say currently cos there is nothing stopping NTL moving that domain to a different IP at some point )

showoff :p