PDA

View Full Version : Garden Law

wilcoxm
01-04-2006, 18:44
Guys,

Need some help from anyone regarding garden fences.

Who owns / maintains a shared fence. I was told that homeowners own and maintain the left hand fence and not the right one. Is this the case??

Chris W
01-04-2006, 18:48
Depends...

If the fence posts are on one side of the fence, it is usually the people on that side who maintain it. The right/ left theory is not the case at all... what would happen if there was a fence at the bottom of a garden ;)

However, you need to check the deeds of the property- as these will state who is responsible for the fences.

homealone
01-04-2006, 18:49
hmm, not sure, it should be shown on the deeds, have a look here

http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/chapter/587

^^^ as he already said ;)

yesman
01-04-2006, 19:00
I was told that homeowners own and maintain the left hand fence and not the right one. Is this the case??

Yes !!!

Chris W
01-04-2006, 19:07
Yes !!!

no it isn't...

my parents house for example- the only fence they are responsible for is at the bottom of the garden- the fence to the right of their garden is the responsibility of the house which backs onto it, and the fence to the left of my parents garden is the responsibility of the house to the left of theirs.

As said above it depends on the deeds- plus check the link homealone posted :)

yesman
01-04-2006, 19:15
no it isn't...

my parents house for example- the only fence they are responsible for is at the bottom of the garden- the fence to the right of their garden is the responsibility of the house which backs onto it, and the fence to the left of my parents garden is the responsibility of the house to the left of theirs.

As said above it depends on the deeds- plus check the link homealone posted :)

But that is your parents house, the general rule of thumb is usually the left hand fence.

I have lived in four different properties and it has always been the left hand side that needs maintaining.

Chris W
01-04-2006, 19:18
But that is your parents house, the general rule of thumb is usually the left hand fence.

I have lived in four different properties and it has always been the left hand side that needs maintaining.

perhaps you should have pointed out that it was the general rule of thumb in your first post...

could be rather misleading to the OP otherwise.

Salu
01-04-2006, 19:39
Try this....

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php