PDA

View Full Version : Power Cut!

shredder
01-04-2006, 19:43
Argggggh I'm going insane, yesterday morning our electricity went off at about 7am and it's still off! they've now further extended the time it will be off for....as they keep doing every 4 hours as the previously given fix time elapses! they turned it back on at 8.30 pm last night....for 5 mins before they blew the whole street again! I'm at a friends now as we have no hot water or central heating as the bolier has a gas ignition! Can we put a claim in for this as all our food etc in fridge/freezer has thawed and we have no means of cooking food!? couldn't even go to work as my uniform is being held prisoner by the washing machine in the middle of a cycle! x :(

Chris W
01-04-2006, 19:46
The food in the fridge/freezer should be covered by your home insurance,

However I believe that you are entitled to compensation from the leccy company when they provide no service for XXX period of time, but i have no idea what it is... check there website to see if you can find out.

homealone
01-04-2006, 20:00
Have a look at

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/temp/ofgem/cache/cmsattach/12227_TICstormswrittenNov04.pdf?wtfrom=/ofgem/shared/template3.jsp&assortment=/parliament/selectcommitteeevidence

especially

22. Under the Guaranteed Standard on Supply Restoration[19] domestic
customers are entitled to £50 compensation (business customers £100) if their
electricity supply is not restored within 18 hours. [20]Customers are entitled to
an additional payment of £25 for each subsequent period of 12 hours that supply
is not restored. In order to trigger a payment under this Standard, the electricity
distribution company must receive a claim for compensation from the customer
within one month of their supply being restored.

although the following paragraphs mention how the supplier can claim exemption from compensating 'in exceptional circumstances'.

shredder
01-04-2006, 20:23
Ah thanks guys, was having no luck with british gas's website!

etccarmageddon
01-04-2006, 22:06
your local substation has probably worn out.

shredder
01-04-2006, 22:18
not sure, they've dug a massive hole at the end of our street near my house and they've brought a massive genorator the size of a truck.....except it's still not connected (they need to connect it to do the repairs, but can't decide if it's safe)?!

Shaun
01-04-2006, 22:54
Tell them to plug it in and get on with it........afterall whats the worst that can happen!! :erm: Download Failed (1) Download Failed (1)

Angua
01-04-2006, 22:55
Do you have any contents insurance? This is the bit that usually pays for freezer waste (surprising how much it costs to re-stock). Definitely claim for compensation from the electricity "supply" company, though it may not be the same as the company that bills you.

Good luck