PDA

View Full Version : Installation questions...

DarkMaterials
01-04-2006, 17:23
Hi All,

I have just subscribed to NTL's 1mg broadband service. I have a couple of questions regarding the installation process.

I previously had NTL telephone connected, can the Engineer use the existing cabling? My computer is in the front and first floor of the house. Can the Engineer install the connection box in this room as the cable runs just below the window? But this might require a ladder and drilling through the window frame. I am trying out the 1mg connection first, but hope to upgrade possibly to 10mg...do I need to let the Engineer know and will this require a particular cable modem be installed? Will I need to clear the area of furniture where the connection box will be place? Any other advice volunteered which could be helpful regarding the installation would be gladly accepted.

I live in South East London, Forest Hill area. Are there any issues regarding connections and speeds?

Ta Muchly ;)

MovedGoalPosts
01-04-2006, 17:29
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

telephone and broadband via cable use separate wires from the box mouonted outside your house. A new cable will be required, but this should be capable of doing any of the current cable speeds you choose now or upgrade / downgrade to in the future.

It's not a good idea to drill through window frames, especially plastic ones as that can damage damp proof courses or unacceptably weaken the frame.

The installer will need reasonable access to the wall area where the cable is to come through from outside. Within reason you can choose where you want your cable modem to be located, but the cable routed to this will be surface run within your house along the top of skirtings, so think carefully about how this might look.

Chris W
01-04-2006, 18:23
moved to billing and installation forum

DarkMaterials
02-04-2006, 10:45
Thanks for the helpful information Rob C :D and also for the nice welcome.

TA ;)

PS1
06-04-2006, 19:46
just one other point regarding the windows.Drilling through upvc windows will effect any sort of gaurantee you were given with them.If you are adament you want it done this way then drill all the required holes yourself before the engineer arrives.:tu:

spike7451
08-04-2006, 16:14
However,If there is a Cable TV line nearer to the PC than the one downstaires,he can split off that.