PDA

View Full Version : The boat race

Shabba
01-04-2006, 15:32
No this isn't cockney slang :)

Has anybody ever cared a monkies about the result? I saw a preview on ITV before and some of the rowers seemed to be American or Australian. In the past races i knew who had won (well it could only be one of two - but y'know what i mean) because the upper class BBC showed the final stretch on the news, but i was never converted.

I can't see the attraction and neither can i see why the cash strapped ITV network would wish to buy the rights?

Millay
01-04-2006, 16:50
Irts a good day, out to watch my friend had a houseboat on the thames.

but the TV never really excited me..

driver_problems
01-04-2006, 16:56
No this isn't cockney slang :)

Has anybody ever cared a monkies about the result? I saw a preview on ITV before and some of the rowers seemed to be American or Australian. In the past races i knew who had won (well it could only be one of two - but y'know what i mean) because the upper class BBC showed the final stretch on the news, but i was never converted.

I can't see the attraction and neither can i see why the cash strapped ITV network would wish to buy the rights?

I thought it was largely an excuse for a booze up with a fiver bet on the side for novelty purposes

LSainsbury
01-04-2006, 17:10
I thought it was largely an excuse for a booze up with a fiver bet on the side for novelty purposes

....a bit like the Henley Regata!

Same as the Grand National me thinks - it's a good way to sting some money from Joe Public by the bookies!

driver_problems
01-04-2006, 17:18
....a bit like the Henley Regata!

Same as the Grand National me thinks - it's a good way to sting some money from Joe Public by the bookies!

I've always felt the Grand National was a bit of a con (isn't it all :dozey:) with the prices they give - eg a field of often more than 35 horses the odds are often 3/1 and so on - and most of them fall over anyway ;) The only person who scoops any decent loot is the horse owner and, of course and as always, the bookies :soapbox:

Tuftus
02-04-2006, 15:47
Hmmm, get your pims ready....

Maggy
02-04-2006, 15:53
Look I hate football but I appeciate that the rest of the world does not share my view on this..so there is coverage of football.Same can possibly go for the Boat race surely.All tastes catered for otherwise tv is going to be excessively boring if only one type of narrow viewing is shown.

Mind I think if this event was opened out to include other university teams it would be much more interesting and more exciting.A two horse race will always be more boring than a 20 horse race.:)

bmxbandit
02-04-2006, 15:54
i quite like the boat race, but only cos it happens so infrequently... can't say i care who wins though.

Paul K
02-04-2006, 15:56
Mind I think if this event was opened out to include other university teams it would be much more interesting and more exciting.A two horse race will always be more boring than a 20 horse race.:)
20 horses racing in the Thames? Exciting? Mmmmmm, in my experience there is enough cr*p floating in the Thames as it is ;) :p:

Maggy
02-04-2006, 16:01
Mind I think if this event was opened out to include other university teams it would be much more interesting and more exciting.A two horse race will always be more boring than a 20 horse race.:) 20 horses racing in the Thames? Exciting? Mmmmmm, in my experience there is enough cr*p floating in the Thames as it is ;) :p:

So a mixed metaphore that still makes a point..:p:

Hom3r
02-04-2006, 17:53
Were where the adverts during the race??

They do it during other races (ie F1)

Macca371
02-04-2006, 18:34
Were where the adverts during the race??

They do it during other races (ie F1)
It only lasted for 18 minutes so there would be no point.

LSainsbury
02-04-2006, 18:37
I decided to put a small wager on the Boat Race!

I put £10 on Oxford to win by more than 3.5 lengths.

Won £80 - result - and I start a new job tomorrow - perhaps my luck is changing!

Anybody got any tips for the Grand National next week? :D

Lee

marky
02-04-2006, 19:10
Anybody got any tips for the Grand National next week? :D

Lee
A small child with a pencil,
Instructions are
Put a circle around a horsey ;)

Hom3r
04-04-2006, 15:43
A small child with a pencil,
Instructions are
Put a circle around a horsey ;)

Well a few years back a bloke got his toddler to give him sum numbers for the lotto, the numbers they picked won him the jackpot.

I'll think I'll call my nephew and neice for a flutter on th national

Orior
08-04-2006, 00:13
Why is it always Oxford and Cambridge in the final?

Druchii
13-04-2006, 19:17
Why is it always Oxford and Cambridge in the final? Because they researched how to make undetectable steroids? iunno.

driver_problems
14-04-2006, 09:36
Why is it always Oxford and Cambridge in the final?

I think it's just an event between the two institutions (but will stand corrected) out of some kind of tradition