PDA

View Full Version : How much of this can/should I believe?

CaKe
25-11-2003, 15:10
My hubby called ntl to complain about the BB service - on occasion it's slow, the speeds are appalling (can run a speed test and get a whopping 20kb/s on 600k), and we all know the problems with e-mail.

A month ago, someone at ntl (I'm naming no names cos this issue is still being dealt with and I don't want to jeopardise anything) said that yes, there were e-mail faults, and that they were looking into it (yeah, I know!) and that it'd be sorted soon. The speed problems however, are down to me apparently, and my router and "badly-configured" firewall. Tech support apparently tried to run tests on the modem, and couldn't, because they couldn't get through to it, therefore nothing was gonna be able to get through, hence the bad speeds.

I disagreed, and ignored that - after all, my speeds weren't a problem 75% of the time. Surely if it was a badly configured firewall, or my router causing the problem then I'd have crap speeds all of the time?

Anyway, things perked up for a month. They've been getting worse, so my hubby called this person at ntl back and complained about the e-mail service again, and the crap speeds. He was told that the reason we've been getting crap speeds and crap e-mail was because they've turned the modem off at their end?! WTF is that supposed to mean? They've tried to run more tests, and again, can't communicate with the modem (had they told me they were running tests, I'd have scrapped the router so they could get through)

The only way this can be resolved (and get this, this is going to solve the e-mail send/receive problems :rofl:) is to let them cancel this account, and to sign up for a new one so they can turn the modem back on, then I'll get a proper e-mail service (even though loads of people are having this problem), and better speeds (even though they're not a problem all of the time :shrug: ).

I don't get it. Surely if they've "switched the modem off" I'd have a degraded service all of the time. This isn't the cause of the e-mail problems either - a glance at the server status page would suggest that to any right thinking person - or are ntl switching everyone's modem off!?

So, basically, I would like to know just how much of this I should believe. Should I really sign up for a new account and transfer it all over? *I have been assured that this doesn't mean the start of a new 12-month contract, although I have heard this before. I have also been assured that the files on my webspace and my e-mail accounts will be migrated for me, although I've heard that before too and lost the bloody lot* Or should I stick to my instincts and tell them this is all a load of crap and not a valid solution?

Thanks in advance for any help/replies, much appreciated!

Carly :)

Bifta
25-11-2003, 15:16
Turned the modem off? Sounds like you husband managed to get someone who talks out of the wrong orifice (that in itself isn't unusual for NTL), I'd push to speak to someone more senior than the imbecile who fed you this crap in the first place. Just out of curiousity though, have you tried changing your proxy settings to use a different xparent cache?

basa
25-11-2003, 15:21
Not just that...aren't the router and firewall after the modem (from ntl's end). Why would they stop them 'hitting' the modem ??? Duh !

Dooby
25-11-2003, 15:24
Not just that...aren't the router and firewall after the modem (from ntl's end). Why would they stop them 'hitting' the modem ??? Duh !
i was thinking exactly teh same thing, unless you have managed to put a firewall upstream of the modem, on the coax then there is nothing stopping NTL getting to the modem other than there equipment. In fact if you DID put anything between the modem and the cable outlet you would be in breach of t&cs, and probably be kicked of, or even prosecuted for tampering with the kit LOL

Dooby
25-11-2003, 15:26
oh, also if they had 'turned the modem off', surely you would get NO service....and how have they turned the modem off if they cant contact it....did they send a pixie into the house??

Neil
25-11-2003, 15:29
<snip>

PM me your post code & I'll work out what region you fall under, & I'll give a contact for that region. :)

MetaWraith
25-11-2003, 15:30
lays traps for leprechauns and pixies

CaKe
25-11-2003, 15:42
Turned the modem off? Sounds like you husband managed to get someone who talks out of the wrong orifice (that in itself isn't unusual for NTL), I'd push to speak to someone more senior than the imbecile who fed you this crap in the first place. Just out of curiousity though, have you tried changing your proxy settings to use a different xparent cache?

This is apparently a manager. And yup, as soon as the speeds start slowing I usually change it! 7 times out of 10, this helps, but my better half doesn't see why we should have to do that, hence the call to ntl ;)

Yup! Still, they want remote access to the 'puters too to see what my settings are - me telling them isn't enough.

oh, also if they had 'turned the modem off', surely you would get NO service....and how have they turned the modem off if they cant contact it....did they send a pixie into the house??

That's what I said(about the no service) - luckily for me my hubby was having none of it either, and so we're to call back tonight to "discuss" this further.

Neil - have PM'ed you, thanks :)

Honestly, it did make me chuckle at least - someone's giving out extra BS as a Christmas present this year, obviously :)

I just wanted other people's opinions/views so when I called back, I had as wide a range of answers/questions to put across as possible - thank you :)

SMHarman
25-11-2003, 15:42
lays traps for leprechauns and pixies

Envisages pixies in fireproof suits trying to get through the firewall and to the modem.

Dooby
25-11-2003, 16:00
Envisages pixies in fireproof suits trying to get through the firewall and to the modem.
WAY too surreal

Chris
25-11-2003, 16:06
The farmyard smell emanating from this 'explanation' by NTL is almost overpowering. I know jack all about routers but even I know that is absolute, undiluted moopoo :rolleyes:

th'engineer
25-11-2003, 16:07
This is apparently a manager. And yup, as soon as the speeds start slowing I usually change it! 7 times out of 10, this helps, but my better half doesn't see why we should have to do that, hence the call to ntl ;)

Yup! Still, they want remote access to the 'puters too to see what my settings are - me telling them isn't enough.

That's what I said(about the no service) - luckily for me my hubby was having none of it either, and so we're to call back tonight to "discuss" this further.

Neil - have PM'ed you, thanks :)

Honestly, it did make me chuckle at least - someone's giving out extra BS as a Christmas present this year, obviously :)

I just wanted other people's opinions/views so when I called back, I had as wide a range of answers/questions to put across as possible - thank you :)
This person at NTL does not happen to have a second name of Goodland by any chance

CaKe
25-11-2003, 16:12
Pixies and leprechauns aren't too surreal, let's face it, some of the best authors in the world couldn't tell stories and fairytales as well as some ntl staff do!

This person at NTL does not happen to have a second name of Goodland by any chance

nope, sorry to disappoint you ;)

th'engineer
25-11-2003, 16:20
Pixies and leprechauns aren't too surreal, let's face it, some of the best authors in the world couldn't tell stories and fairytales as well as some ntl staff do!

nope, sorry to disappoint you ;)
Oh well never mind its inherent through the company lies, just wondered if it was one of the usual suspects

zoombini
25-11-2003, 16:53
Hmm that joke about the guys talking on an aeroplane & "if you dont know $hit, how can you talk about NTL broadband" springs to mind (with a slight change to make it on topic).

zovat
27-11-2003, 11:58
<snip>

<snip>

why on earth do they want access to your computer ?
I may be wrong - (it has been known :( ) - but IIRC NTL do not support your actual computer, and I personally have never seen or heard of NTL remote testing your actual PC (apart from anything else, the first thing most users do is disable any form of remoted help).
So how are they proposing to check your PC's settings ???? :confused:

As pointed out earlier, the router is behind the CM - so there should be no issue with the CM not being seen, or not getting DHCP updates - this really does smell like BS to me...

IMHO (as you asked :) ) this sounds like someone who is flapping about the problem, and doesn't want to deviate from a set script... (I used to do tech support, and have seen people who follow the same script for every fault - even when they have a windows script and the pc is running linux......)

NB: I do not, and have not ever worked for NTL.....

Paul
27-11-2003, 12:39
I must have missed this the other day. I'm sorry to sound a bit callous but I have just fell off my chair laughing at the "explanation" they gave you, it's so full of $hit I can't believe they actually had the nerve to say it (well ok, I can).

I hope Neil can point you at someone who does actually know what they are talking about because the person you spoke to clearly doesn't have a clue ...

Neil
27-11-2003, 12:45
I must have missed this the other day. I'm sorry to sound a bit callous but I have just fell off my chair laughing at the "explanation" they gave you, it's so full of $hit I can't believe they actually had the nerve to say it (well ok, I can).

I hope Neil can point you at someone who does actually know what they are talking about because the person you spoke to clearly doesn't have a clue ...

Already supplied. :)