PDA

View Full Version : NTL Phone Hell

coventrycityfan
29-03-2006, 18:20
Since the weekend i am getting calls from Bid-tv advising me that i have placed orders with them.
However this is not the case so i am wondering how can i stop this and how has someone got hold of my own phone number?

Chris W
29-03-2006, 18:29
maybe someone did place an order, but gave their phone number wrong...

have the callers got the correct name for you?

AFAIK the only solutions ntl will be able to offer you in this situation are:
1) blocking withheld numbers (i assume that these calls come from an unavailable/withheld number?? )
2) changing your phone number

there may be charges for either/ both of these services but i'm not sure.

coventrycityfan
29-03-2006, 18:32
Chris,
In response to your post, you see it has happened since Saturday and another call came tonight, now i'm now jumping to conclusions here but i sincerely doubt the phone number would be wrong.
I have already option 1 you posted on my phone already and the calls come from bid-tv themselves so if for example i dial 1471 their number will be there.
I don't wish to change my phone number, i am currently trying to sort this out with the company myself

Paul K
29-03-2006, 18:33
If it were a BT line I would suggest asking for Choose to refuse to be put on the line for a month to filter the calls out. If I were you though I would be talking to Bid-Tv as unless they remove your number from whatever file it is on you will continue getting these calls.

coventrycityfan
29-03-2006, 18:35
Paul,
That is the process i'm currently doing now

Paul K
29-03-2006, 18:39
Paul,
That is the process i'm currently doing now
I know, you posted just as I was typing and posting myself. You could talk to NTLs' abuse department and ask for choose to refuse (or NTLs version of it) to be put on your line for a month while it is being sorted. As soon as it is dealt with by Bid-TV you can then get it off your line again. Obviously someone has the wrong number against their account or has put your number in on purpose to annoy you. Either way it should be easy to sort out IF NTL and Bid-TV want to prove their customer service values.

coventrycityfan
29-03-2006, 18:41
cheers Paul will let you know if it get's sorted. it is very annoying especially when i get 2 phone calls saying i've bidded for something when i haven't!

Shaun
29-03-2006, 18:46
Ignore it when you don't pay Bid-Tv will eventually blacklist your number from making bids. :)

coventrycityfan
29-03-2006, 18:48
is this true Shaun? If that is the case why have i had as explained above 2 phone calls from them?

Paul K
29-03-2006, 19:18
Because the payments aren't overdue, if it's not your account that's got incorrect info against it then YOU cannot do anything with the account due to DPA BUT when no money is paid to TV-Bid for the items they will block the problem ACCOUNT from bidding until the monies are paid.

SLM
29-03-2006, 20:21
Since the weekend i am getting calls from Bid-tv advising me that i have placed orders with them.
However this is not the case so i am wondering how can i stop this and how has someone got hold of my own phone number?

I think you have named your thread wrong mate, should it not be bid-tv phone hell as this is the company you are having troubles with and NO others and also nothing to do with ntl!!!!

I think Chris W is correct someone has either given (the person buying) or taken down (bid-tv opperator) the wrong phone number.

perfect-bliss
30-03-2006, 03:51
if anonymous caller rejection isnt working for u because bid.tv are showing their number, the only other options are, as mentioned before: changing your number, which u dont want to do (one off charge £10), or telling them to take your telephone number off their call listing as you havent placed an order and if the problem persists, tell them you will be contacting the police if the calls dont stop. Because that would be classed as a form of harrassment. Theyre naggin you for money that you dont owe. Sounds like a pain in the butt!
If your a new customer on telco (?) then it could be possible that the pervious owner of that telco number is the name bid.tv have?

freeda
31-03-2006, 00:32
could well be that prev cus has had reg the number with bid.tv. try also registering with the telephone preference service on 0845 070 0707. it should stop all unsolicited calls against your number, its a free service but it can take up to 28 days to go thru fully

perfect-bliss
31-03-2006, 01:12
or go to www.tpsonline.org.uk (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk)

Shaun
31-03-2006, 21:02
or go to www.tpsonline.org.uk (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk)

This sort of call wouldn't be covered by TPS. :)