PDA

View Full Version : which router and or...switch?pc,ps2,xbox360

bobby999
29-03-2006, 11:38
whic router shall i buy? simple easy one to connect PC, PS2, xbox 360, all to telewest broadband connection.

want to stop swapping cables over. and be able to go on PC at same time (only when really have to like for validating results on proevorankings)

saw this one which has integrated switch.. does this mean i can switch so all broandbandwidth could eg go to Xbox when i wanted it to.?

Etherfast Cable/DSL 10/100 Router inc 4pt Switch

what shall i get? just worried about getting LAG!

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10214090&pid=44&rstrat=0

help!

Stuart
29-03-2006, 11:57
I think I need to explain what a network switch actually does. What a network switch does is divides the available bandwidth amongst all the active ports. So, if you are on the Xbox, and the PC (or whatever) isn't running, then the xbox will get all the available bandwidth. If another device comes online (such as PC, or other console), then the switch will divide the available bandwidth between all the devices that are currently accessing the network. So, if those devices come online then do nothing, then the xbox will get all the bandwidth again.

So, you are sort of right, but the switch does it automatically. I don't know of a switch that will allow you to do it manually (other than by shutting down or disconnecting the other devices of course).

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

As for gaming without lag. Well, I know a lot of people on here use Linksys routers (both the one you are looking at and the WRT-54G range) for gaming, and they don't seem to have problems.

jamesclarke555
31-03-2006, 09:27
You can't go far wrong with Belkin, you can get a decent router with a 4 port switch built in for under £50 ;)

SnoopZ
31-03-2006, 13:23
You should get a Linksys WRT54GS (http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1029639974.114380762 6@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceladdhgkkdhehcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=250537&category_oid=)