PDA

View Full Version : Ntl Home Standardises On Motive For Broadband Service Management

Frank
25-11-2003, 11:24
Internet Press Centre 11:13 24-Nov-03

http://www.ffgb.presscentre.co.uk/corp/Releases/release.asp?ct=114&ReleaseID=10041&NID=Press%20Releases

NTL Homeâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s broadband customers will now have access to industry-leading levels of service management, including automatic connection and email tests.The e-mail tests should be interesting :rolleyes:

Chris
25-11-2003, 11:33
Internet Press Centre 11:13 24-Nov-03

http://www.ffgb.presscentre.co.uk/corp/Releases/release.asp?ct=114&ReleaseID=10041&NID=Press%20Releases

The e-mail tests should be interesting :rolleyes:
:eeek: Words cannot express...

philip.j.fry
25-11-2003, 13:38
I smell a forced software installation in the works :afire:

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 13:47
:eeek: Words cannot express...Whats the problem?:confused:

Fawkes
25-11-2003, 14:45

I think they are talking about the kind of software that runs this site: https://autoreg.autoregister.net/

So no forced software install needed but i could be wrong.

th'engineer
25-11-2003, 14:50
I for one will not want it

philip.j.fry
25-11-2003, 15:37
To me, it sounded like an enhanced version of that broadjump app that gets installed when you run the cd, it would send information back to the main server about the connection to allow them to remotely analyse the data and fix any problems.

To me it means:

a) another junk app running in the background
b) potential privacy issues surrounding the information sent
c) if the connection is lost the program is useless

Chris
25-11-2003, 15:59
Whats the problem?:confused:
The sweet irony of email testing supplied by an ISP whose mail service is ropier than a hangman's noose.

th'engineer
25-11-2003, 16:08
To me, it sounded like an enhanced version of that broadjump app that gets installed when you run the cd, it would send information back to the main server about the connection to allow them to remotely analyse the data and fix any problems.

To me it means:

how would they measure the bandwidth use of the application

Fawkes
25-11-2003, 16:24
I don't mean to be argumentative but I just don't think any software is going to be forced on anyone who doesn't want it. However I think this will help a great mean people who would otherwise have difficulty collecting the information that is sometime required to diagnose a fault.

The new e-care service will also provide the option for subscribers to send technical data electronically to NTL customer support teams, ensuring greater efficiency in handling support calls from broadband customers.

You probably only need run it when you have a problem. BTW i don't use broadjump.
No quite sure what information your referring to? NTL already have my name, address, telephone number, email address and my bank details.
True but we can't have everything. :)

dr wadd
25-11-2003, 17:06
I don't mean to be argumentative but I just don't think any software is going to be forced on anyone who doesn't want it.

One would hope that would be the case, but I`m a little concerned about the statement that NTL will now be able to supply users with proactive alerts. Since they can already do that (when it is working) via e-mail, this suggests to me something that will open pop-ups on the desktop with little messages from NTL in them. Combined with the fact that it can send technical information back to NTL, I can easily see them taking the approach that if you don`t install this software then they will no longer provide you with tech support.

If they do attempt to use pop-ups to provide warnings to users, it surely won`t be long before some bright spark at NTL decides that they would be a good idea to use for advertising.

th'engineer
25-11-2003, 17:15
One would hope that would be the case, but I`m a little concerned about the statement that NTL will now be able to supply users with proactive alerts. Since they can already do that (when it is working) via e-mail, this suggests to me something that will open pop-ups on the desktop with little messages from NTL in them. Combined with the fact that it can send technical information back to NTL, I can easily see them taking the approach that if you don`t install this software then they will no longer provide you with tech support.

If they do attempt to use pop-ups to provide warnings to users, it surely won`t be long before some bright spark at NTL decides that they would be a good idea to use for advertising.
In that case lets hope that it is reliable as the NTL e-mail, NTL newsgroups the 4000 STB on BB the 1000 STB on interactive CR3 .

The cap need i go on it will not work lets have some confidence in the consistancy of NTL :rolleyes: :smokin: