PDA

View Full Version : My noisy neighbour

printerman
29-03-2006, 09:38
This is a recording of me trudging round my kitchen, but listen to the background. This is no joke but the barking goes on day and night and now i'm sick. Thing is my neighbour is nice but shes out all day and her dogs just bark.I know the recording isn't great but i think you'll get the idea.

orangebird
29-03-2006, 09:42
This is a recording of me trudging round my kitchen, but listen to the background. This is no joke but the barking goes on day and night and now i'm sick. Thing is my neighbour is nice but shes out all day and her dogs just bark.I know the recording isn't great but i think you'll get the idea.

Call your local enviromental health officer, and call the RSPCA. It's not fair on you, or the dogs.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
29-03-2006, 09:52
I had this when I first had my dog - she suffers from separation anxiety and having had her from a shelter she was concerned about being abandoned.

I would suggest in the first instance you actually call on your neighbour and tell her - she may not know. I didn't until my neighbour told me!! Her reaction will tell you what to do next - but give her time to sort it out.

If you call the environment officer I would first suggest you keep a diary for a minimum of 2 weeks - they will want proof that it is a regular occurence and not a one-off by a malicious neighbour. They will probably then give you some record sheets to monitor the situation for a period of time, following which they will write to her with notice to serve some legal whatsit (can't remember what they call it) and she has a fixed amount of time to show the situation is being brought under control.

I ended up getting a dog behaviour expert in to advise on how to deal with mine, and altho she still has occasional tantrums she is generally well-behaved when I'm out and knows I will come back for her each evening.

etccarmageddon
29-03-2006, 10:18
sounds like the bark of a small dog. one of those little yappy annoying things.

asbo the bitch!

basa
29-03-2006, 10:28
..............asbo the bitch!

Dog or owner ?? :disturbd:

etccarmageddon
29-03-2006, 10:31
sorry, bitches!

basa
29-03-2006, 10:58
sorry, bitches! :D :D

Saaf_laandon_mo
29-03-2006, 11:59
My neighbour has a massive Great Dane. I have never seen her take it for a walk, and sometimes she's away at the weekend leaving the dog on its own in the house. We then hear the dog constantly barking and jumping around, thuding into the wall. I dont talk to my neighbour and if I called the RSPCA she'd probably know it was me who did it, and we will suffer endless hassles from her. Any solutions? Apart from shooting the bitch (and no Im not refering to the dog)

greencreeper
29-03-2006, 23:13
Minced steak and a box of Ratak should do the trick. Could also simulate noisy sex, "MABLE NO - NOT THE CHEESE GRATER". Failing that, make a noise nuisance complaint.

AndrewJ
29-03-2006, 23:49
Invite the cf crew over for all night lan party.

Await her emigration.

Angua
29-03-2006, 23:59
My neighbour has a massive Great Dane. I have never seen her take it for a walk, and sometimes she's away at the weekend leaving the dog on its own in the house. We then hear the dog constantly barking and jumping around, thuding into the wall. I dont talk to my neighbour and if I called the RSPCA she'd probably know it was me who did it, and we will suffer endless hassles from her. Any solutions? Apart from shooting the bitch (and no Im not refering to the dog)
Even if your neighbour knows it was you the environmental people wont tell and after all it is her fault for leaving the dog.

You do not have to put up with this!

Druchii
30-03-2006, 00:17
Invite the cf crew over for all night lan party. Await her emigration. I'll pack my Pc now ;)

Pia
30-03-2006, 01:02
Put one of these in the wall:D
http://www.smarthome.com/61392.html

Flubflow
30-03-2006, 05:51
Printerman,
If she is a nice neighbour then the first thing to do is to talk to her about it. After all, if she is out leaving the stupid mutt alone all day then she may quite surprised to learn that it is barking all the time and may bend over backwards to sort it out.

If she fails to suceed in making arrangements that would consistently end the barking then you could make some friendly but serious remark such as, "there are types round here that would report you to the council" - only worded better ;). Maybe point out about those anti-barking devices that are available.

If she still does not do anything about it then do not feel guilty. Go right ahead and report her to your local council's environmental health dept. If she is worth anything then she should have done something about it when asked nicely (if she comes battering your door to moan at you then you can safely deny it was you who reported her). There is sometimes a form on the local council website for reporting nusance noise etc. Initially you don't have to have a diary to back up your alegation (just typical times/days will do at first, what the noise is and how it affects you). They will send her an initial polite warning letter with useful advice. Your neighbour will not know who made the alegation. You will also receive a letter confirming your compaint along with information on what to do next if the noise persists (usually invovling filling out a diary sheet). They may then write to the offender again, or visit and may come to you to take decibel readings if they need some more concrete evidence for court. If the council don't hear from you again then after a certain period they consider the matter closed (and you'll have to start again with the complaint procedure if the noise starts up again months later). There maybe slight variations depending on your locale.

We had exactly the same problem. Twice.

First was a neighbour with two dogs (yappy and woofy-wimper) left alone in the garden for long periods. Actually we didn't get chance to complain although we did make some friendly comments about "concern" but the noise continued. Some other neighbour must have reported them or had words because eventually the noise stopped all of a sudden (only make the occasional noise now and again). Yappy died and they only have woofy-wimper now, so that might have helped too.

The second one was someone in the next street who let their loud dog wander between the open rear garage door (presumably its kennel) and the garden but only at times when they were actually in (relentlessly between late afternoon and mid evening every day and sometimes all weekend daytime) so just how they could sit there and ignore it was beyond me. It would bark at the sky, bark vicously at people walking down the ajacent path or bark just to prove that it could bark. It was loud relentless and echoed round several streets. You couldn't sit in your garden or have the patio doors open because of this noise. It's a reasonably nice peaceful area and they seemed like filth so I just reported them via the council website and the noise stopped. Like magic. I think there were still a couple more barking marathons when I think they were still taking the pish on odd days here and there in the weeks after they received the letter but we've hardly heard a wimper now for ages (hopefully its dead or gone).

Note that it is often very difficult to diary-document dog barking. I mean, are many batches of barks seperated by ocassional half hour silences during the course of a full day considered seperate accounts of barking or simply all day barking? I would go with the latter otherwise you are constantly chasing the diary. You could back it up with a typical recording of a complete barking mad day (easily done either as a medium or low quality MP3 on the PC or use a video recorder using a 4 hour tape on long-play (requiring something to pre-amp the microphone to the audio line-in of the video). Stick the mic near an open window.

Good luck.

KingPhoenix
30-03-2006, 11:12
Invite the cf crew over for all night lan party.

Await her emigration.

Mmmmm... the clan are planning there next LAN :D and judging by the last one of 3 of us fighting out on the front lawn at 2am in the morning.... im sure that'd do the trick!!! :D

SnoopZ
01-04-2006, 12:04
Mmmmm... the clan are planning there next LAN :D and judging by the last one of 3 of us fighting out on the front lawn at 2am in the morning.... im sure that'd do the trick!!! :D

haha. :D