PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Freeview box to jerrold anologue cable box

XBFreedom
29-03-2006, 02:34
hi there. my friend has just moved into a house with no aerial installed and she is not allowed to install one because the landlords wont let her! ive got freeview kinda working with an indoor aerial! but she has a ntl cable sticking out of her wall and i have followed it down the outside wall to a junction box outside the property! which means ntl is installed or was once installed! i have purchased a jerrold anologue ntl cable box off ebay for her! my questions are:

1. if i install this will i pick up the free channels ntl broadcast down their cables?

2. if i connect the jerrold anologue cable box up to the ntl cable and then connect the freeview box to the rf output on the back of the jerrold anologue cable box, will the freeview box be able to pick up all freeview channels with clear reception?

please reply asap, i would appreciate this so much, thank you.

p.s. sorry is this is in the wrong section, i had no idea where to post it!

Horizon
29-03-2006, 03:01
Your asking how to basically steal services from ntl on a site owned/controlled by ntl which can capture your ip address. Not very clever....

Note: there are no "free" ntl channels. If you want ntl to provide you with tv, you have to pay for it like the rest of us.

homealone
29-03-2006, 09:53
just to clarify, this site is not "owned/controlled" by NTL ;)

for the OP - there is no way a freeview box will tune in any programs from the output of cable decoder. You may be able to pick up some 'free to air' channels off the cable with the jerrold box, but only if the cable is actually connected to the street cabinet - and as has been pointed out, the legality of this is dubious

Stephen
29-03-2006, 13:25
Unfortunatly the only way to get a signal on the freeview box is to use an Indoor/outdoor arial. Connecting to the analogue box will not give you output for recieving the TV signal.

XBFreedom
29-03-2006, 17:45
hi there im not wanting to steal channels from ntl, i was just asking if i plug in a ntl box into the cable will i pick up any free channels that ntl may send down its cable, just like a freeview box! also im not asking to plug my freeview box into the ntl cable i want to know if i plug the ntl box into the ntl cable coming through the wall and then plug the freeview rf aerial cable into the rf output on the back of the ntl box will it pick up a signal and allow me to tune my freeview box in?

homealone
29-03-2006, 20:23
hi there im not wanting to steal channels from ntl, i was just asking if i plug in a ntl box into the cable will i pick up any free channels that ntl may send down its cable, just like a freeview box! also im not asking to plug my freeview box into the ntl cable i want to know if i plug the ntl box into the ntl cable coming through the wall and then plug the freeview rf aerial cable into the rf output on the back of the ntl box will it pick up a signal and allow me to tune my freeview box in?

as far as I know the freeview box is expecting a digital signal on its RF input - nothing coming down an NTL cable is compatible with that. You cannot use an NTL cable as a substitute for a freeview compatible aerial, in other words.

- you may get a few channels by plugging the NTL cable directly into your TV, but only if it is physically connected in the street cabinet, and there have been many debates about whether this is 'stealing service, or not. I am not going to go there...

Graham M
29-03-2006, 20:43
Your asking how to basically steal services from ntl on a site owned/controlled by ntl which can capture your ip address. Not very clever....
Neither Controlled... Nor Owned... :erm:

We have one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5345210.htm

And it seems to perform really well, picking up all of the Freeview Channels in our area with a strong signal sat on my Window Sil.

Chris W
29-03-2006, 20:46
Plus if i were you i would return the set top box to ebay- it is and remains property of ntl hence the seller had no right to sell it....

Horizon
29-03-2006, 21:43
If the site is neither owned or controlled by ntl, who did "Frank" sell it to then?

Graham M
29-03-2006, 21:58
Uh!?!? Noone, that was NTHellWorld.com

Horizon
29-03-2006, 22:03
...ah, penny drops. I'll wake up now:)

Those sites have such similar names...Just think when (if) ntl gets the Virgin name, there'll be "I hate Richard Branson smug git" sites instead. Or "Virgin hell". Then again those sites might already be around now.....:)