PDA

View Full Version : Biting Kids...

Mr_love_monkey
28-03-2006, 21:22
...or rather, kids that bite...

My son (19 mnths) has a habit of biting people every now and then - generally it's not good, but further to that his nursery has a very strict policy of removing kids that bite...

How did other people break their kids of the biting habit?

jellybaby
28-03-2006, 21:24
Bite them back.....not hard, but just so they get the idea its not pleasent

LemonyBrainAid
28-03-2006, 21:25
I like biting things and I'm 13... I bite anything.. not usually people tho - i'm not that wild..

Mr_love_monkey
28-03-2006, 21:25
Bite them back.....not hard, but just so they get the idea its not pleasent
Hmm... but if it's not hard, i.e. doesn't hurt - what's the point?

jellybaby
28-03-2006, 21:27
Good point....worked with my lad though lol

Mr_love_monkey
28-03-2006, 21:29
Good point....worked with my lad though lol
That's the thing - I've veered towards the biting back, but I don't really want to hurt him, but if it doesn't hurt, what if he just thinks it's a game?

budwieser
28-03-2006, 21:30
...or rather, kids that bite...

My son (19 mnths) has a habit of biting people every now and then - generally it's not good, but further to that his nursery has a very strict policy of removing kids that bite...

How did other people break their kids of the biting habit?

It`s just a phase.
Tell him its Naughty and bite him back but not too hard and he`ll get the point. Don`t worry. He`ll grow out of it in a few weeks.:)

jellybaby
28-03-2006, 21:31
I think its more the point that he will think its going to hurt. I remember alot of the time I just had to tell my lad I was going to do it back and he stopped

Mr_love_monkey
28-03-2006, 21:34
I think its more the point that he will think its going to hurt. I remember alot of the time I just had to tell my lad I was going to do it back and he stopped
How old was he?

jellybaby
28-03-2006, 21:36
I think he started at about 18 months...only lasted about a month (if that. It was 10 yrs ago so can't remember)

Mike
28-03-2006, 21:40
Please please do not bite your children back................it will reinforce that is what humans do !!!!

I have heard this type of suggestion before but that related to dogs and not children.

When it happens again make eye contact and say a firm no !

If your children crapped on the floor you would not do it !!!

Mike

Mr_love_monkey
28-03-2006, 21:42
So that's 2 for biting back, 1 against... and 1 who likes to bite everything :)

nffc
28-03-2006, 21:50
I like biting things and I'm 13... I bite anything.. not usually people tho - i'm not that wild..
We've heard - biting caps off "neer" methinks.

marky
28-03-2006, 21:51
I go for biting back ;)
And crapping on my kids head if they crapped on the floor :D

tick
28-03-2006, 22:01
take something away from him that he likes when he does it .

greencreeper
28-03-2006, 22:10
Babies stick everything in their mouth for a reason - it's one area of the body where there are a lot of nerve endings. It helps them work out their world. I guess the biting thing is an extension of that. I expect the, er, nibbled person makes a fuss. Best to make it clear when he bites that it's wrong, and put him to one side. No fuss or anything. Ignore him for a bit. Eventually he'll get the message that biting not good. Just like puppies really.

marky
28-03-2006, 22:19
Ive got 4 kids, and at 18mnths they dont understand reason. if they bite then bite back, then they understand that it hurts.

Ps. I batter my kids every day so kiss it you pc people

pps. no i dont, but as babies they need to learn, maybe its the suckling instinct :shrug:

Ramrod
28-03-2006, 23:10
I remember when one of ours used to do this......we researched the problem and used a short sharp shout as a sort of aversion therapy. I seem to remember that he just grew out of it though.

marky
28-03-2006, 23:18
I remember when one of ours used to do this......we researched the problem and used a short sharp shout as a sort of aversion therapy. I seem to remember that he just grew out of it though.
Yup that works, its the quick sharp noise, it makes them jump :)