PDA

View Full Version : Pilot light keeps going out

Russ
25-03-2006, 22:00
Anyone know what could be causing my pilot light to go out about 10 seconds after I light it?

monkey2468
25-03-2006, 22:01
thermo couple is knackered:td:

Russ
25-03-2006, 22:02
Eh?

yesman
Anyone know what could be causing my pilot light to go out about 10 seconds after I light it?

On your boiler ?

If so, you probably need a new thermo-coupler

Edit: beaten to it by monkey

Maggy

errr....the pilot light to what?

Wind? Lack of gas or low gas level?The whatever is defunct? :erm:

Russ
25-03-2006, 22:03
On your boiler ?

If so, you probably need a new thermo-coupler

How much do these usually cost? Is it an idiot-safe job or will I need a plumber for it?

Chris W
25-03-2006, 22:03
same thing happened to one of our ovens at work...

was indeed the thermo-coupler... cost £600 to fix :erm: home boiler will be a lot cheper though! (thankfully!)

Scrubbs
25-03-2006, 22:07
when the pilot light is lit it should hit a small piece of meteal that looks like very thin copper pipe, that is the thermocouple. You might see a similair one on a gas hob,
It tells the gas supply there is a flame ........no flame .....no gas

yesman
25-03-2006, 22:08
How much do these usually cost? Is it an idiot-safe job or will I need a plumber for it?

Dunno Russ, sorry, I always get my plumber to change mine, but I don't think it is that difficult, or expensive

have a google

TheBlueRaja
25-03-2006, 22:08
I thought this was going to be another Rikki Fulton joke. (Probably only a few Scots will know what im on about there).

Russ
25-03-2006, 22:09
when the pilot light is lit it should hit a small piece of meteal that looks like very thin copper pipe, that is the thermocouple. You might see a similair one on a gas hob,
It tells the gas supply there is a flame ........no flame .....no gas

Cheers for that, but surely if it was that then the pilot light wouldn't light at all?

Scrubbs
25-03-2006, 22:10
I thought this was going to be another Rikki Fulton joke. (Probably only a few Scots will know what im on about there).

AAyy MORE STEAM MACPHAIL:) :D

monkey2468
25-03-2006, 22:12
If its easy to get to, then its a piece if wire connected to a piece of metal that will be held in somehow. Just a case of swapping it for the correct replacment. Cost, dunno:confused:

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Cheers for that, but surely if it was that then the pilot light wouldn't light at all?

it may not be completely knackered. I think the flame creates some sort of electrical charge. (don't quote me as I may have dreamt that!!;) )

edit: thay are elctrical.. http://www.picotech.com/applications/thermocouple.html

Scrubbs
25-03-2006, 22:14

It will still light otherwise how would it get hot ? there is a timer involved

Gas comes, on pilot light lights, t/c heats up, gas stays on.

Where is it? boiler? fire? hob? they've( is that a real word?:D ) all got them
they can be expensive and a bu***r to fit or they can be quite cheap and simple. One bracket and 2 wires

Russ
25-03-2006, 22:15
It's in my boiler. At the moment I have no heat (other than the gas heater in my front room) but I do seem to have hot water.

monkey2468
25-03-2006, 22:16
It's in my boiler. At the moment I have no heat (other than the gas heater in my front room) but I do seem to have hot water.

get the model number and do a uk google sreach for parts. Was the hot water already hot from when it worked?

yesman
25-03-2006, 22:19
Or it may look like this

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/03/2.jpg

Which I believe works on thermal temperature, hence if it fails, your pilot light cuts out, there are quite a few variations of the above though.

Scrubbs
25-03-2006, 22:20
Is the pilot light usually on all the time or does it only light at certain times.?
It might have reached its temperature and switched itself off
My boiler only comes on twice a day, heats the water then switches off

Russ
25-03-2006, 22:24
Is the pilot light usually on all the time or does it only light at certain times.?
It might have reached its temperature and switched itself off
My boiler only comes on twice a day, heats the water then switches off

It comes on at set times although I have had it on all day as my daughter stay over on saturday nights, but saying that I always do this and I've never had this trouble before. Just need to find the part for a Worcester 240 Combi now....*trundles off to google*.......

Scrubbs
25-03-2006, 22:30
The other thing you need to know is, is the main jet coming on to heat the water? cos there is other fings wot could be crackered. the electronics or the valve.
(:dozey: dont you just love a pessemist;) )

handyman
25-03-2006, 23:16
When you light the pilot do you keep your finger on the button for 20-30 seconds after. Sometimes this time is required for the thermocouple to heat up?

Russ
25-03-2006, 23:24
No, I only keep it pressed for about 10 seconds. I doubt that has anything to do with it thought because I've been lighting it this way for weeks now without any problems.

I'd noticed a few weeks ago it would occasionally go out, maybe once a week or so but never as much as it does now.

handyman
25-03-2006, 23:25
No, I only keep it pressed for about 10 seconds. I doubt that has anything to do with it thought because I've been lighting it this way for weeks now without any problems.

I'd noticed a few weeks ago it would occasionally go out, maybe once a week or so but never as much as it does now.

In which case it likely the thermocouple has gone. Part itself costs only a few quid but the labour will push the price up. try getting a few quotes 1st.

hm

Russ
25-03-2006, 23:33
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I can see the bill right now:

Thermocouple - £1.50

Labour - £30 :disturbd:

monkey2468
25-03-2006, 23:57

Thermocouple - £1.50

At least....... and you will probably get the sucking air through the teeth and "...and it looks like you pump is on its way out mate". ;)

Russ
26-03-2006, 00:01
.....whilst slowly shaking his head :D

greencreeper
26-03-2006, 00:35
Eh?
Just a device designed to stop you gassing yourself with the oven, or levelling the street.

Russ
26-03-2006, 00:42
Bluddy do-gooders :D :p:

monkey2468
26-03-2006, 02:00
...how dare these safety devises encroach on our human rights..:D

Pia
26-03-2006, 02:06
Don't you live in a rented house Russ? If so then it's up to the landlord to sort it i thought?

Shaun
26-03-2006, 03:55
Don't you live in a rented house Russ? If so then it's up to the landlord to sort it i thought?

Was just about to post that. If you do rent Russ they should fix it within 24 hours if you have no other means of hot water or heating!

Dante
26-03-2006, 03:56
When i had a Worcester 240 Combi the only reason it would not start was the fact it had no pressure, turn the pressure up to at least to 1bar, there is normally a valve below the boiler.
If this does not work it is probably your diaphramn. You will need a plumber!

Nidge
26-03-2006, 07:27

Thermocouple - £1.50

A Thermo coupling will cost you about £10 Russ, labour for fitting it £40 tops.

Russ
26-03-2006, 09:54
Well would you believe it.

The flippin thing is working fine this morning :spin:

I'd better get someone out though.

Could it be something as silly as the wind blowing it out?

Tuftus
26-03-2006, 11:45
When I used to live in my old house the pilot light used to keep going out and that was the thermo couple.

When I watched the guy replace it the only tools he used was a small adjustable spanner and a pair of pliers.

It took him about 5 minutes.

greencreeper
26-03-2006, 12:19
...how dare these safety devises encroach on our human rights..:D
Well, my thoughts exactly. If we have a right to life, we have a right to die. It's all about us fostering our own self-preservation instincts onto those who've had enough and want to call it day. From thermocouples to suicide - only on CF :D

Russ
26-03-2006, 15:41
An update - I've noticed that when the light goes out, there's quite an impressive 'clunk' noise coming from the boiler :confused:

r1ch
26-03-2006, 15:47
That could be the valve attached to the thermocouple closing and shutting off the gas. I'm surprised that it's that loud though!

roseandjim
26-03-2006, 16:11
another possibility is that the pilot light may be weak and not playing on the thermocouple fully

Russ
26-03-2006, 17:49
Update: now the pilot light won't come on at all.

Plumber tomorrow :(

Scrubbs
26-03-2006, 18:40
You might be lucky and it just needs a clean

Ramrod
26-03-2006, 18:43

Thermocouple - £1.50

Try getting an AGA serviced! :rolleyes: :(

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Update: now the pilot light won't come on at all.

Plumber tomorrow :(
Sounds like it needs a clean.....when was it last serviced?

edit--Scrubbs beat me to it! :D

Russ
27-03-2006, 00:05
I've just noticed the water pressure is low, well below 1 in fact - could that be in?

The only problem is I can't find where to increase the pressure.

yesman
27-03-2006, 00:13
I've just noticed the water pressure is low, well below 1 in fact - could that be in?

The only problem is I can't find where to increase the pressure.

It is usually a washing machine looking filler pipe, connected between the water main and your boiler, it is usually just below the boiler somewhere, if you find it, don't go over 2 bar :erm:

Russ
27-03-2006, 00:18
Actually scrap that - I managed to increase the pressure and now the pilot light is managing to come on, it just won't stay on. Through the little window I can see the racks of flames and it looks like the flame are being 'blown' out.

The 'clunk' noise I mentioned earlier? I've discovered that's the button I hold in on the gas valve while I'm strying to spark up the pilot - it kind of 'pops' out. That happens when the flame has given up the ghost completely.

greencreeper
27-03-2006, 00:27
Actually scrap that - I managed to increase the pressure and now the pilot light is managing to come on, it just won't stay on. Through the little window I can see the racks of flames and it looks like the flame are being 'blown' out.

The 'clunk' noise I mentioned earlier? I've discovered that's the button I hold in on the gas valve while I'm strying to spark up the pilot - it kind of 'pops' out. That happens when the flame has given up the ghost completely.
Funny you should say that. Had a cooker when I first left home that would blow out if you turned it up too much, so I guess that there's a flow issue with the gas, maybe :erm:

Russ
29-03-2006, 00:18
An update for you, taken from my blog:

Day 3 in the Big Freeze house, and Russ is still without heat or hot water.

Honestly it's like something out of Laurel and Hardy.

On sunday morning the boiler packed up completely - the pilot light would not stay on for more than 5 seconds. Found a plumbing site online where the guys advised me it could be the thermocouple. I phoned my landlord on sunday afternoon who said he'd get the guy who last inspected it to come down the next morning (monday) to have a look. That was great, so I asked him to leave a message on my voicemail to let me know what time the guy was coming.

I went to work at 6pm.

Got home at 11:30pm - no voicemail. Was the plumber coming or not?

The following morning I called my landlord to find out if the guy was coming. No answer, left a message on his voicemail. By 10:30 he hadn't called back to I called my own plumber in to have a look - he was coming at 6:30. He was good - but diagnosed that the boiler was leaking fumes and basically the whole system needed replacing. I called my landlord to tell him this and asked if my plumber should go ahead and work on it. He said no, he wanted his own guy to do it.

I thanked the plumber for coming and apologised for wasting his time. The plumber was due to come this morning. So that's another day without heat/hot water.

Their guy came this morning at 10am. He took one look and refused to touch the boiler.

You see, apparently under "plumber's law", the last person to touch the boiler becomes responsible for it, and seeing as my guy had a look yesterday, the second plumber apparently could not touch it (why? What would happen? Would killer rabbits descend from the heavens and take over the world??) so he make a hasty exit.

Called my landlord AGAIN and he sent out the guy who last serviced the boiler. 3 hours later a chubby plumber with an @rse cleavage to rival any builder turned up. Anyway when a bloke has got such an impressive example of builder's bum/constructor's crack/labourer's line, you just got to look at it, haven't you? You can't take your eyes off it. I felt like inviting the neighbours around to have a look too - "Mrs Winton? Quick, come around and have a look at this - honestly it's like the Grand Canyon".

Anyway, @rse-cleavage had a look and potched about with it and replaced the sodding thermocouple - and guess what - my boiler started working!!!

Honestly, if I was gay I would have kissed him.

My luck wasn't going to last though. Apparently the fumes from the ventilation were leaking back in to the house and it would have been illegal for him to leave with it still like that so he shut the boiler down, removed the fuse and said he'd be back tomorrow to sort out the ventilation.

So yes, ANOTHER day without any heat or hot water.

Still, at least tomorrow I'll be able to have warmth? Have a bath? Wash my dishes?

Yeah?? Yeah!!!!

No actually.

Tonight my landlord called and told me they've decided to have the boiler replaced. Which is a TWO DAY JOB.

So I have to wait until THURSDAY until I get hot water and heating.

One word:

Bugger.

marky
29-03-2006, 00:27
Poor you, and the first post after yours was right, amazing isnt it.
I hope you have an electric fire or something, coz i'm sure the landlord has to provide heating of some sort, or is you blog going to be called "Life under the quilt" brrrrrrrrrrrrrr:)

greencreeper
29-03-2006, 10:02
Sounds like my letting agency, Russ. I stopped reporting repairs after the first year of living here - they just don't do them. Most they've done is send people to quote on the cost. Originally they used to send a odd-job man but he disappeared. I fix what I can. Plenty of silicon sealant.

Russ
29-03-2006, 10:59
Yeah? Could you sort out my boiler?? Just as long as there's no butt cleavage on show then I don't mind!!

Anyway, he's just arrived with the new boiler, and all day job apparently....

Tuftus
29-03-2006, 12:55
Two day job?

Sounds like they have factored in loads of cups of tea in to that one then!

When we had our boiler replaced it only took a couple of hours.

Oh and Marky is right, the landlord does have to provide you with alternative heating arrangements in the mean time.

Russ
29-03-2006, 12:58
They reckon they might be able to get it fixed by the end of the day but it might spill over to tomorrow. I don't really care - I'm not paying for it!

My landlord has offered me a oil heater but what I really need is hot water - I haven't had a bath since saturday and I don't like having a shower becuase stepping out in to a feezing cold bathroom isn't my idea of fun....

driver_problems
29-03-2006, 13:03
They reckon they might be able to get it fixed by the end of the day but it might spill over to tomorrow. I don't really care - I'm not paying for it!

My landlord has offered me a oil heater but what I really need is hot water - I haven't had a bath since saturday and I don't like having a shower becuase stepping out in to a feezing cold bathroom isn't my idea of fun....

I was going to suggest that you nipped down to the local leisure centre to use their facilities but then realised my folishness and realised that they were out on strike :p: ....or are they back again today?

Fingy
29-03-2006, 13:09
I was wondering what the smell was. :p

Stuart
29-03-2006, 14:38
I was wondering what the smell was. :p

If it's that bad in Belfast, imagine what it must be like in Swansea (where Russ lives). People collapsing through being gassed.

Russ
29-03-2006, 14:41
If it's that bad in Belfast, imagine what it must be like in Swansea (where Russ lives). People collapsing through being gassed.

I don't live in Swansea!!

Port Talbot :)

Anyway, Fingy is known for her extravagant flatulence so that's that one solved.

Anyway there might be a chance they can finish the job by about 4:30 - 5 o'clock. If not they'll be back in the morning.

So if they finish tonight, will I be able to enjoy the lovely warmth? No - I'm working at 6pm :(

Fingy
29-03-2006, 16:44
:Yikes: Was there any call for that?

Hope its all sorted out soon. ;)

Russ
29-03-2006, 17:04
Ok they've just left me with a shiney new boiler - and some heat and hot water.

They need to come back tomorrow because apparently there's not enough gas coming through, so the place isn't as warm as it could be but it's better than feezing cold. Once they're done tomorrow, the plac should be cooking :)

Cheers to everyone who contributed here :)