PDA

View Full Version : House moving advise (caution, long post!)

monkey2468
25-03-2006, 20:11
Basically I'm wanting to move house and wanted some advise on a particular part of it.
My house has been up for sale and I have a first time buyer who has put on an offer on my house which I have accepted. So, I have been out and viewed many houses and found the one I want. The house is a vacant possession as it is a repossession so it is now owned by the mortgage company.
We put a low offer in which was rejected.
While I was in that estate agent there was an "independent mortgage adviser" trying to persuade me to use him. But I had no intension's as I new he was a cowboy from my brother-in-laws dealings with him. Later I was then told by the estate agent the price the mortgage company was wanted was a little under the asking price, so we went to my mortgage adviser to make sure we can get a mortgage for that, which we can. We then put the offer to the estate agent with the price they said they wanted. They then came back to us and said they won't accept the offer until we can show them the the PID offer from the mortgage company we are going with. So we went back to our adviser, got the PID and presented it to them and left. They then got back to us saying that the company the own the property accept the offer, but they (the estate agent) advised the the mortgage company not to accept the offer. The estate agent said they won't accept the offer until the first time buyers have had a full survey done on my property.
This seems very wrong, and I have a feeling they are doing this because I won't use there "independent mortgage adviser" to get my mortgage. The first time buyers have instructed there solicitors to start proceeding, but I can't do anything, because they are still taking viewing on the house I want.
my questions are,
- Is this normal
- Is there anything I can do about it
- Would gain anything by going to the estate agent and killing 1 or 2 of them?;)

P.s. I could probably understand if there was a large chain, but there isn't

edit: Apologies for the really bad grammar and punctuation!

yesman
25-03-2006, 21:44
I can't really advise, but, It does seem a bit odd that the estate agent is acting in this manner (unless there are new laws out now about this), I always thought sales and purchases proceeded "subject to contract"

MovedGoalPosts
25-03-2006, 21:50
It's not unusual for properties to remain "on the market" until the seller (in this case the mortgage company that owns the repo), knows the buyre is genuinely in a position to proceed. You need to be able to demonstrate to the vendor's agent that your buyers are serious.

However, you are right to be a little suspicious of the estate agent's motives. They get lot's of commission from the mortgage deal. They are however obliged to pass every offer they get to vendors. but you have no idea as to what else the agent may be saying to twist the vendor's arm.

monkey2468
25-03-2006, 23:02
It's not unusual for properties to remain "on the market" until the seller (in this case the mortgage company that owns the repo), knows the buyre is genuinely in a position to proceed. You need to be able to demonstrate to the vendor's agent that your buyers are serious.

However, you are right to be a little suspicious of the estate agent's motives. They get lot's of commission from the mortgage deal. They are however obliged to pass every offer they get to vendors. but you have no idea as to what else the agent may be saying to twist the vendor's arm.
hmm, just as I see it. However, with regard to the genuinity (is that a real word) of my offer, I have a £25K deposite. It just looks like a i'll just have to sit it out...... just how stressful is moving house, I had no idea!!! and it has barely started!!!!:shocked: