PDA

View Full Version : Flights to the US

spacedhopper
24-11-2003, 16:12
Hi, does anybody know of any good sites that offer cheapo flights to the US?

I usually look at cheapflights.co.uk, but wondered if there were any different ones?

Cheers

TigaSefi
24-11-2003, 16:16
teletexts and the classified in newspapers are good for bargain buckets seats.

basa
24-11-2003, 16:23
Or www.expedia.co.uk

SMHarman
24-11-2003, 16:40
www.opodo.co.uk

www.ba.com
Nice feature showing the prices for each day of the week before and after the flight.

www.aa.com
Covers all carriers.

Where / When (month) are you going? Direct is more expensive than Non Stop / Changes.

To the US different US carriers have their own hubs, Continental to Newark NJ, and Huston, United to Chicago, Denver. American to Chicago and Dallas and Miami. As such their hubs may give them better deals.

spacedhopper
24-11-2003, 16:41
Going to San Diego next Feb, just thought i would have a look now and see if there were any offers going

SMHarman
24-11-2003, 16:55
The £300 prices are not bad, its off season and the other side of the country. Remember £60 odd is tax and it's a less flown longhaul destinantion compared to say LAX. NY at its cheapest is £180 (60 each way plus 60 tax), the west coast at best is normally 90 each way plus 60 tax, so it's unlikely to get much cheaper and leaving it later could cause problems with the school holidays in Feb (16-20 US and UK)

Looking at the prices on Opodo, I would pay the extra £15 for American. Their Economy seats have 35" pitch, compared to the 31" of BA and Virgin. The extra 4 inches makes all the difference when sitting for that long.

Also if you join their frequent flier program and register for their EUR4 offer of 5000 extra miles for flying across the pond and the miles for the journey you will probably earn enough miles for a free UK / EU flight just from the 1 trip.