PDA

View Full Version : Central Heating Contracts

Salu
24-11-2003, 13:40
WHat are people's feelings about whether these are worthwhile or not? I'm not particularly interested in horror stories etc....just the value of them.

Do you partake in one. Which ones?

homealone
24-11-2003, 13:54
WHat are people's feelings about whether these are worthwhile or not? I'm not particularly interested in horror stories etc....just the value of them.

Do you partake in one. Which ones?

We've had one for ages with British Gas for our central heating, the "Gold Star" one I think it's called. We recently extended it to include our drains & plumbing.

Ok it's not cheap and like any insurance policy, if you don't need to use it, cost outweigh's the benefit.

What we do get is an annual service & inspection (peace of mind), priority call out in the event of a problem and no charge for parts or labour if we do need something sorting.

The boiler has been ok recently (touch wood), but has had a new extractor fan, a new pump, a new heat exchanger, a new timer and two new valves, over the course of the contract.

The drains & plumbing option has paid off too, as soon after taking it out we had our sewer overflow - we called in the morning & the contractor was there within 90 minutes, sorting it out, we also had a follow up visit during which they did a camera survey.

Overall we are glad we took out the contract.

Ramrod
24-11-2003, 14:01
Since the hot water runs off the aga and the central heating is a hot air system, I don't think we would get much joy from a central heating contract.

Salu
24-11-2003, 14:14
Thanks Ramrod.

Paul
24-11-2003, 14:14
I have the British Gas 5 Star (or home service I think it is now).

I have had to call them a few times in the past eight years with no problem. In fact in the first year I got a new Hot Water Tank. I have also had a new timer, pump, and a discounted new boiler over that time.

Unless you are a Plumber or a very good plumbing DIY person then I would recommend it.

SMHarman
24-11-2003, 15:18
Depends on your system. I had pretty much a brand new system installed about 9 months ago. This is all in wwty etc.

I think I might sign up for it from about year 4. Also - depends if you know a good plumber.