PDA

View Full Version : Have I been ripped off?

handyman
20-03-2006, 12:53
Hi,

On Friday we bought a 1.1 T reg Saxo for £975. I think Claire knocked him down a bit because it needed 2 front tyres but £975 is what we paid in total.

On Sat there was a noise from the passenger rear wheel so took it to a reputable tyre n exhaust place. It needed further work but they said that it would be best to take it home as the parts could noit be got till monday. The advised that it also need front pads n discs.( £150).

So we have took it in and it has had recent work to fit a rear bearing but that this was fitted wrong and its shaved 4mm off the drum :eek:.

Cost of a new drum and bearings £158.44 .

So total outlay for repairs is...

2 new tyres £55
Drum and bearing £158.00
Rear brake shoes £51
Front pads and discs £150

Total £414

Is it reasonable for me to go back to the seller for not stating that this work was required as we did ask about the condition of the car and recent work?
I trust this garage as they have done great work on 2 other cars for me.

AndrewJ
20-03-2006, 13:00
Bought as seen though :shrug: legally unless you had a written agreement I think the seller can hide behind that, he could deny all knowledge of further work required.

zing_deleted
20-03-2006, 13:01
If its a private sale then you aint got a let to stand on.You should really have took a mate who knows his stuff,They could have fitted the parts cheaper also

AndrewJ
20-03-2006, 13:04
Please note my username does not mean I am an expert in Saxo's.

;)

handyman
20-03-2006, 13:06
No problem thanks, guess I just got good brakes on my car then...

etccarmageddon
20-03-2006, 13:06
go back and tell them you want a refund or you will take it up with trading standards. it's worth a try.

AndrewJ
20-03-2006, 13:08
go back and tell them you want a refund or you will take it up with trading standards. it's worth a try.

But if it was a private seller ( was it ? ) it is bought as seen, if not then perhaps you could have means but it is dodgy the best you could hope for is some form of deal on parts but since you already paid for them well..

handyman
20-03-2006, 13:09

Private sale :(

AndrewJ
20-03-2006, 13:10
Private sale :(

Then you have a saxo with nice tyres and good brakes.

;):)

marky
20-03-2006, 13:17
The rest is down to you, but this
So we have took it in and it has had recent work to fit a rear bearing but that this was fitted wrong and its shaved 4mm off the drum :eek:.

is dodgy workmanship, if it was done by a garage then they should be made to cough up.

AndrewJ
20-03-2006, 13:18
The rest is down to you, but this
is dodgy workmanship, if it was done by a garage then they should be made to cough up.

True did you get any reciepts for recent work done?

handyman
20-03-2006, 13:40
True did you get any reciepts for recent work done?

nope just checked :(

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

But if it was a private seller ( was it ? ) it is bought as seen, if not then perhaps you could have means but it is dodgy the best you could hope for is some form of deal on parts but since you already paid for them well..

I'll get a good deal, they always seem to knock money off when I go in :)

They have not charged for 2 small jobs they did :)

AndrewJ
20-03-2006, 13:44
Well so long as the car is in good hands now, I am sure it will be fine afterwards.

Otherwise is it all in good condition?

marky
20-03-2006, 13:44
I think £150 for front disks and pads is way over the top, they must be charging £100 for fitting :Yikes:

handyman
20-03-2006, 13:45
I think £150 for front disks and pads is way over the top, they must be charging £100 for fitting :Yikes:

Crikey :) not said i'll have that done yet will haggle.

What about the other work?

marky
20-03-2006, 14:04
Crikey :) not said i'll have that done yet will haggle.

What about the other work?
The tyres are priced ok, but they are charging a lot for the parts on the rear,
I would phone a local motor factors (not citreon) for the parts prices, then agree to a fitting charge with the garage. :)

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Check this place out for prices, i think you will be shocked
http://www.speedways.co.uk/shop/
Just make sure you scroll down to the 1.1 saxo and if yours has the 3 or 4 stud wheels :)

handyman
20-03-2006, 14:07
will take it elsewhere for the brakes then...

etccarmageddon
20-03-2006, 16:23
ahh sorry private sale. ok, do you have a baseball bat? ;)

banjo
20-03-2006, 18:10
If you bought this car from a private add in a local paper check to see if this number keeps cropping up, could be a dealer hiding behind a private sale add ?

handyman
20-03-2006, 20:44
If you bought this car from a private add in a local paper check to see if this number keeps cropping up, could be a dealer hiding behind a private sale add ?

Doubt its a dealer, very amaturish, have bought from a dealer working from home and the car was alright.

An update:

The rear brake stub axle thread is busted and cannot be sorted. They have said they will fit part for free and do part at cost. :erm:

Total price so far:

2x New tyres £55.00 (knew they where needed)
Rear brake shoe £51.00
Rear brake drum and bearing £158.44
Stub axle c/w arm £149.00

Sub £413.44

And have been advised it needs front brakes and discs £150.00

Total £563.44

I'm livid I really am. I'm going to phone the lad tommorow and find out the score because I'm not leaving it like this.

Any further advice appreciated...

handyman (fuming)

smicer07
20-03-2006, 20:45
Sorry mate but you should have had the car fully checked out before you parted with your cash. Easy to say that now though..

marky
20-03-2006, 20:49
I wished that you lived more local, the stub axle will be ok 2nd hand, its only the brakes that need to be new.
I bet i could half that price, grrrrrrrrr i hate it when people get stung :mad:
They are charging for fitting 3 times

Rear brake shoe £51.00
Rear brake drum and bearing £158.44
Stub axle c/w arm £149.00

handyman
20-03-2006, 20:49
Sorry mate but you should have had the car fully checked out before you parted with your cash. Easy to say that now though..

I'm still going to turn up, they included receipts for work done on the car, there is no reciept for the rear brake drum which was fitted incorrectly and has caused the damage. I'm therfore making an assumption that they have tried to fit it themselves and bodged it then sold it or that the person fitting it advised them that it was a short term fix and to get rid.

Either way he'll not like me camped outside his house.

I think a fair gesture would be half.

Paul K
20-03-2006, 20:50
Hmmm thought you were buying a car not a lemon. That car sounds unfit to be on the road in the state it is in, when did it last go through an MOT and who did it?

handyman
20-03-2006, 20:54
Hmmm thought you were buying a car not a lemon. That car sounds unfit to be on the road in the state it is in, when did it last go through an MOT and who did it?

MOT up in June I think.

The problem stems from a badly fitted part thats what I want to find out about because if it was fitted at a garage I have some comeback(the guy showed me the work part and you can tell its brand new. Claires going to send me the number of the guy and I'm gonna call him, I'll update afters :)

Update 2:

According to the chap (and his mom) they have done no work to the vehicle other than that which we have a reciept for which is the head gasket and some other engine work. This was over 1 year ago and the log book shows they got it on the 20th dec 2004.

Seems odd that theres a brand new worn out part thats has 4mm of metal v metal wear on it and they no nowt about it. :grr:

AndrewJ
21-03-2006, 02:04
Could they've had it done and hardly drove it, or do you think they are hiding the factor of they knew it needed work doing.

etccarmageddon
21-03-2006, 08:33
of course they knew if was buggered - they just hoped for someone who wouldnt get a mechanic to check it out first - this is exactly why I would only buy from a dealer and not private - too risky.

Dave Stones
21-03-2006, 14:44
Just to pipe in, you are being *extremely* overcharged for the front discs and pads. This can be done easily for under £100 including labour, I have had mine done recently (mondeo though) and it cost £42 labour, £20 for pads and £25 for discs, all guaranteed for 25000 miles.

If you are feeling adventurous you could do it yourself...

LSainsbury
23-03-2006, 11:55
Handman! Let us know how you get on with the person you got it from!

Jules
23-03-2006, 12:03
Sadly this is a risk you take when you buy privately, I am lucky as I have a friend that knows his stuff and I would never buy a car without him with me.

I hope you get some of your money back Handyman as it sounds like this car is a death trap until it has had the work done on it :(

handyman
23-03-2006, 13:48
Handman! Let us know how you get on with the person you got it from!

They denied the work had been done whilst they owned it and after investigation/discussion of the part that caused the trouble is just about possible they could be telling the truth.

Its just had its front brakes done at a local (cheaper) garage and I have a large part spare thats going on ebay :)

Hopefully (touch wood) its done and has new brakes all round and new front tyres so should be quite roadworthy.

An I don't stand a chance of getting any money back, On a plus side it looks like given the condition / mileage we did get it for a reasonable price.

Maggy
23-03-2006, 14:01
I think it is bluddy iniquitous that this law of buyer beware under these particular circumstances still exists.

It's no wonder we can't get a handle of what our rights are as buyers/consumers if there are so many loopholes to the premise that whatever you buy should be fit for it's purpose and function.

budwieser
24-03-2006, 18:53
They denied the work had been done whilst they owned it and after investigation/discussion of the part that caused the trouble is just about possible they could be telling the truth.

Its just had its front brakes done at a local (cheaper) garage and I have a large part spare thats going on ebay :)

Hopefully (touch wood) its done and has new brakes all round and new front tyres so should be quite roadworthy.

An I don't stand a chance of getting any money back, On a plus side it looks like given the condition / mileage we did get it for a reasonable price.

" I have a large part spare thats going on ebay " ??????????????:erm:

The mind Boggles!!!!!!!!!:disturbd: :D

handyman
24-03-2006, 19:56
" I have a large part spare thats going on ebay " ??????????????:erm:

The mind Boggles!!!!!!!!!:disturbd: :D

The 'rear trailing arm' is going on ebay as it would have been a fortune to fit it and they only needed the stub axle off it.