PDA

View Full Version : Another 'sync light flashing'

Sandydog
19-03-2006, 17:04
I hope someone can give me some advice!

The sync light on my 250 cable modem is constantly flashing, and the only lights on permanently now are power and ethernet. I've called NTL support this afternoon and they are going to send an engineer out on Tuesday. They did a check but think it's either the modem or the box outside.

Trouble is, this has all happened at the same time as I was setting up my router, and I'm wondering if this could have burnt it out. I had it all up and running but it just went.

I wasn't going to tell the engineer about the router, but I'm concerned that he might give me a new modem and then it'll bust again when I reconnect wirelessly.

Another thing - last night when I phoned the tech support line, there was an announcement about the service being slow and intermittent and possibly down in an area a couple of postcodes from me, I'm LE10 and this was LE12. But that announcement wasn't there today although the engineer who I phoned last night told me it could be affecting me.

Anyone got any words to put my mind at rest. I'm worried that this is all going to go a bit pear shaped and I'll get charged for all sorts of things!

jellybaby
19-03-2006, 17:09
As far as i'm aware, it is not posible to damage the modem by connecting a router :)

marky
19-03-2006, 17:12
My bet goes on coincidence ;)

Sandydog
19-03-2006, 17:19
Aaaaahh, two replies and the stress levels are dropping............!

But should I tell the engineer about the router, or should I hide it?

jellybaby
19-03-2006, 17:22
Aaaaahh, two replies and the stress levels are dropping............!

But should I tell the engineer about the router, or should I hide it?

Wont make any difference. But I'd imagine the engineer will want to do everything without the router in place. But there's no need to hide it

g7pkf
19-03-2006, 19:05
ntl engineer? the good ones get promoted to network.

bad ones stay where they are.
most are computer/network illitarate IMHO
they check levels and say "levels wrong" and either

1 ill fit this attenuaor
2 ill inform networks and they will sort it usually within 24 hours.

Graham M
19-03-2006, 20:41
ntl engineer? the good ones get promoted to network.

bad ones stay where they are.
most are computer/network illitarate IMHO
they check levels and say "levels wrong" and either

1 ill fit this attenuaor
2 ill inform networks and they will sort it usually within 24 hours.

Smart post to make ona forum where quite a few "computer literate" Engineers post.

jtwn
19-03-2006, 21:06
illitarate

:disturbd::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu: :tu::tu::D

nffc
19-03-2006, 21:11
illitarate
:disturbd::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu::tu: :tu::tu::D
Yeah and it's also attenuator.

Sandydog
19-03-2006, 21:14
Thanks for the support. Mysteriously the modem started working again tonight! I'll leave it until Monday afternoon and then call them to cancel, just in case it goes wrong again!

mikey
19-03-2006, 21:24
Make sure the screw-on connections are tight at both the modem end and the point at which it cable comes into the room.
Also make sure you have the correct power supply plugged into the modem.

Sandydog
19-03-2006, 21:52
ok, thanks mikey!

g7pkf
20-03-2006, 09:18
Smart post to make ona forum where quite a few "computer literate" Engineers post.

Don't mean to upset people too much but in my area all the standard first line engineers i have come across were to but it mildly not computer literate, they knew how to run cables and check levels (well all bar 1 who ran a cable through the trunk of a vine climbing my outside wall:dunce:, but thats another story)...

good engineers are worth there weight in gold.:)

2nd line and networks were superb :romance:and actually talked to me about what the problem really was, perhaps they realised that i actually knew about networks not only there's but general communication and computer networks.

what i hate is the way ntl do there engineering the first thing that is always said when calling helpdesk is "well send out an engineer". hence my advice "If" you get a problem see if your neighbours are having a similar problem first.

if they are then it's more than likely not your modem and it is a waste of your and the engineer's time.

NTL would need less engineer's running about like headless chickens looking in the wrong place for the fault and hence have more time to resolve the real issues.

I wonder how much time is wasted in this way.

and i am sure this annoys Ntl engineer's as much as customer's. i know it would me.

V3n0m
20-03-2006, 11:20
*Thick mode on*

I thought that all the lights flash except power on(which stays on all the time)

mine does...is something wrong with it:confused:

Sandydog
20-03-2006, 21:06
When mine is on - and seems to be working correctly, the power, sync, and ready lights are still for what seems like all the time. The others flash. That probably doesn't help much though!