PDA

View Full Version : Dropped connections, proxies and stuff

magpie03
18-03-2006, 15:55
I'm in the NG5 area and for the past several weeks I have suffered from dropped connections, often at critical times when I am working. :mad: (These began long before the DoS evening of problems that have been reported.)

I've followed the threads on this board with interest and come to the conclusion that it is not (a) my router as TS have suggested, or (b) a loose cable connection from the wall to my modem as TS also suggested. I've messed around with the local proxies and still suffered from dropped connections.

However, after installing Firefox and looking at the settings I have the option to set up a manual proxy, automatic proxy, or connect directly to the internet.

Not sure what this third option actually means, do I by-pass the ntl proxies completely? and will it make my connection stable... :confused:

Any other advice to make my connection stable would be gratefully received

Graham M
18-03-2006, 16:23
You can never completely bypass the NTL proxies unless you specify a different proxy on a non-standard port.

magpie03
18-03-2006, 16:36
Well, I suppose I should have known that even selecting that option my connection would not last.
It dropped about 2 minutes after sending the message, and took a good 4 minutes before I could get ANY webpage to appear on my screen.

g7pkf
18-03-2006, 16:38
and it does not matter what you do on your pc if the modem drops the connection thats it.

it could be a faulty modem, incorrect levels both req an eng visit
if that does not fix it then its down to a network engineer as the fault is obviously outside your property.

ask your neighbours if they are having problems (assuming there on ntl)
thats how i found out my area is quite stable.

Graham M
18-03-2006, 16:58
Magpie, does this drop occur doing stuff like Email, online games, etc?

magpie03
18-03-2006, 17:07
Magpie, does this drop occur doing stuff like Email, online games, etc?

I don't use the PC for online games, but the drop can be when I am browsing the web - and I get "server too long to respond" message, or when trying to download mail - when I just get my AV popping up with a 'waiting for pop...." message.

And it seems to happen at anytime of the day - early morning, afternoon, evening and after midnight. Basically, whenever I am trying to use the computer!

Graham M
18-03-2006, 17:23
Well choosing a proxy wont help then, as proxies are only used for Web Browsing. Have you reported this to faults?

magpie03
18-03-2006, 17:28
...Have you reported this to faults?

Yes - and it's all my routers fault apparently, even though when I connect the modem directly to the PC the same thing still happens.

Graham M
18-03-2006, 17:32
Try faults again and hope you get a different response this time

Rone
18-03-2006, 18:54
Unfortunately the next response will be "its your antivirus\firewall\spyware\modem or pc thats at fault". :(

g7pkf
18-03-2006, 18:56
and it does not matter what you do on your pc if the modem drops the connection thats it.

it could be a faulty modem, incorrect levels both req an eng visit
if that does not fix it then its down to a network engineer as the fault is obviously outside your property.

ask your neighbours if they are having problems (assuming there on ntl)
thats how i found out my area is quite stable.

when your connection next "drops" post your cm light's status at this point here

(when connection comes back up)

then we will be able to advise better.

also quote your modem type 100,120,200,250 etc

magpie03
18-03-2006, 22:45
when your connection next "drops" post your cm light's status at this point here

(when connection comes back up)

then we will be able to advise better.

also quote your modem type 100,120,200,250 etc

OK, well I went out for a while earlier this evening, but the connection just dropped on me (22.40 - at the start of Match of the Day!)
At the time the cable modem had three static green lights (Power, Cable, PC) and the fourth (Data) was flashing slowly (around 2 seconds between flashes).

Once the connection came back I opened a new browser window and noticed the data light was flashing quickly as it pulled my homepage up.

The cable modem is a terrayon TJ210.

Hope that is of some use for you.

sollp
18-03-2006, 23:11
OK, well I went out for a while earlier this evening, but the connection just dropped on me (22.40 - at the start of Match of the Day!)
At the time the cable modem had three static green lights (Power, Cable, PC) and the fourth (Data) was flashing slowly (around 2 seconds between flashes).

Once the connection came back I opened a new browser window and noticed the data light was flashing quickly as it pulled my homepage up.

The cable modem is a terrayon TJ210.

Hope that is of some use for you.

The power and cable light will be solid as will the PC but the data light will flash when data is passsing. As you say the cable light is solid would suggest that it is not loosing the connection with the internet, this would flash,(cable light) if it was loosing the connection. Maybe a fault with the modem itself or...

magpie03
18-03-2006, 23:47
this would flash,(cable light) if it was loosing the connection. Maybe a fault with the modem itself or...

Well, after reading this I spent a while just watching the lights on the modem and the cable light went out 3 times. Each time it flashed quickly before coming back on solid.

Guess it's a call to CS.

g7pkf
19-03-2006, 19:08
sorry to say yes sounds like it

magpie03
19-03-2006, 21:13
Well, I guess its a phone call then.
Oh, wait a minute - I can't because their database is down for maintainence!

Roll on Monday evening...

Web-Junkie
20-03-2006, 00:17
Read this thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=43920

magpie03
20-03-2006, 01:17
Read this thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=43920

Oh wonderful, so basically, speaking in non-technical vocab my modem is a great steaming pile of kaka. Lovely!

Mr engineer man, prepare to be called out...

Web-Junkie
20-03-2006, 12:42
He most likely will replace the Teryon with a blue NTL 250 modem, so hopefully it should make an immediate difference to your connection, judging from my mates experience.

Hope all goes well :)

magpie03
22-03-2006, 20:23
Hope all goes well :)

I've had several late evenings at work, and so tonight was my first chance to actually ring ntl to request an engineer.

I had filled in the online form on the forum homepage complaining about the response from the call staff, and to be fair to one of the ntl workers they did reply with an agreement that the modem is faulty (apparently he checked some details and it has rebooted itself 1111 times recently!!). His suggestion was to ring to arrange an engineer.

So tonight I tried.

All I got was "All our staff are busy, please call back later [CLICK]" Phone call terminated. :mad:

This is really unacceptable customer service - to not even be able to ring and make a request for an engineer because of a fault with their equipment.

I have already phoned BT with a view to reactivating my phone line and using ADSL. It has to be more stable and a better standard than what I am getting at the moment.

ntl really does suck at the moment :td:, and I'd be interested to see how many customers they have lost over the past month with the recent problems.

IanUK
22-03-2006, 20:28
Tonight everyone is probably calling because it appears that most of the country is having massive problems with the NTL network, just for a change..

magpie03
23-03-2006, 16:18
Well I have spent the afternoon looking at broadband suppliers going through a BT line. I cannot continue trying to use my computer without a stable connection to the web, and so ntl is going to have to go. The TV package went to Sky before Christmas, and was the best decision I made. :D

Looks like I'm about to make another good move.

I'll ring BT to reactivate the line, and then I think I'll opt for a RELIABLE provider for BB.

BTW, can I alter from an ntl BB package down to the dial up 'as you go' option - to keep my email address until I remember all the places that I am signed up to with that address!?

Jon M
23-03-2006, 16:24
You can set a forwarder on your NTL address to whatever address you prefer.

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Just login here: http://selfcare.ntlworld.com/cgi-bin/frontend to set it up.

magpie03
23-03-2006, 16:31
But if I cancelled my BB acount, the email would not work anymore wouldn't it?
With the Pay as you Go dial up, I could keep the email 'live' until it wasn't needed.

Or do ntl keep their email accounts going even when an account is closed?

Jon M
23-03-2006, 16:42
AFAIK it will continue to forward for 6 months... if in doubt however talk to NTL and find out.

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

Beware however, after checking some searches on the forum it seems that if you request an account removal it will be removed too unless you ask specifically.

Hopefully whoever you call at CS will be able to help.

magpie03
23-03-2006, 19:08
Hopefully whoever you call at CS will be able to help.

Except that I cannot get through to CS - just an annoying message about being busy and an engaged tone.

Is this a cunning strategy to avoid conversations about faults and cancellations?!!

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Well, I finally got through after going through alternative menus, and eventually got put through to a guy in India who tried to tell me that there is a fault today in Nottingham and that that would be causing the problem.
Fortunately I had the reply from my ntl feedback form in front of me and quoted it to him.
I was then put on hold for 15 minutes as I waited for TS to book an enginner.
Eventually the guy in India came back on the line and said that there was no one to take the call, and I should call back tomorrow after 6 to try again. :mad:

This is unbelievable. Customer service? Customer no-service I think. I cannot get an engineer to come out to mend a dodgy modem (that ntl have said is faulty), and is giving me only 35 minutes connection between each drop.

Not happy. Not happy at all. :mad:

Web-Junkie
24-03-2006, 01:57
Let's just hope there are some nice chaps who work for NTL reading this and offer to give you a dig out, you should be getting better support than that.

magpie03
28-03-2006, 18:20
A final message regarding this modem issue I've been facing.
After getting nowhere asking TS for help, an engineer was booked for Monday 27th to check the modem. I made it clear that as a teacher I could not get home until 4pm, and could the engineer get to visit after that. The helpful CS woman made a note of this.
Monday evening I got home at 3.45 to find that the engineer had left a note - already visited. :mad:
I tried to rebook a visit instantly, but because the visit hadn't been signed off by the engineer yet, they couldn't rebook. After a while, they arranged for a new appointment a week on saturday.

However, today I have phoned BT and they are coming to reactivate the line soon. :) As soon as this is done they will sort out a BB connection for me. :) :)

I will be cancelling ALL my ntl services tonight, and moving to a provider who value their customers and offer helpful support.

Oh - and it was so nice to speak to CS that was helpful and polite to me.

Thank you ntl, and goodnight.

yorkieand
30-03-2006, 15:22
Zep said [quote][/You can never completely bypass the NTL proxies unless you specify a different proxy on a non-standard port.QUOTE]

How do you do this please?

magpie03
17-04-2006, 00:37
Just a note to say that the dropped connection issue has been sorted (finally). :D
It took phone calls to customer service, india (no help :dunce:), tech support india (no help :dunce:), faults, uk (tried to help - but put me back to TS who were no help), retentions, uk (who promised to help...) and finally the escalations department, uk, who called me to ask why I was leaving, said they would get an engineer to me within 12 hours and when the engineer arrived he said what I had said all along;
It WAS the black terayon modem at fault, so he replaced it.

Total time spent trying to get this issue fixed = over 2 months
Total time engineer spent solving problem = 1 minute

In 10 days time though BT will be installing my new BB service, as I have lost faith in ntl through their inept CS department.