PDA

View Full Version : Download Speed Conundrum

AdEnough
18-03-2006, 15:22
10mb STB and Cable modem connections.:Yikes:

Connected via a Samsung STB I had been experiencing the same slow download speed as many others. Reported the issue to TS who sent an engineer. He tested nothing but said he had spoken to a colleague who suggested it was an issue with the STB, so he was going to install a cable modem (NTL 250) and that in a few days it would be activated.

So this morning, over a week later I get the welcome letter with the details to set up the modem. Funny thing is that the connection via the STB has been tickety boo since the modem has been in place. Anyway I went ahead with commissioning the modem and guess what? Slooowww downloads, speed tests show downstream connection at 6-7kb like some kind of retro dialup.

Left it running for a while but it got no better so switched back to STB and now am consistently getting 2mb. I never asked for a cable modem, the engineer just installed it, yet with it in place at least I now get acceptable performance from the STB.

Any ideas techies, and has anyone else had a similar experience?

JonathanLH
19-03-2006, 22:59
i'd guess it is a power level thing?
with the cm in place, it's taking power off the ntl network, perhaps the current incoming level is too high and it needs some attenuation?