PDA

View Full Version : Removing Telewest cable plugs

clarendon6
16-03-2006, 15:09
I have moved my pc from the front of my house to the back. My Telewest broadband entry point is now of course still in the other room and I'm using a temporary extension to connect. I'd like to feed the cable back out and pass it into the room where I now have my pc. Problem is that the plug on the end is too wide to go back through the hole in the sill where the cable was initially entered. Is it possible to detach the plug on the end and - after routing the cable through, outside and back into the sill of the new room - reconnect?
It doesn't appear to unscrew in the way that a normal UHF plug does.
Can anyone help?

Thanks
G

MovedGoalPosts
16-03-2006, 15:15
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

the plugs used by the cable companies are crimped on with special tools. It makes for a much more secure connection than the screw on satellite plugs you see inthe DIY shops. Unfortunately they cannot simply be released and replaced.

The problem with using a less robust plug, and indeed DIY fittings is you can introduce interference to the signal affecting your own and possibly your neighbours connection. Hence it's discouraged.

clarendon6
16-03-2006, 15:36
Hmmm. Thanks Rob. I thought so. I will find out how much it costs to have them do it.
Cheers
Greg

:) And thanks for the welcome!
G
---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

ianrandy
17-03-2006, 10:25
Hi, let me know how you get on cos I have to do exactly the same soon..
Thanks,
Ian

clarendon6
17-03-2006, 10:42
Ok Ian,
A few months ago I caught an engineer as he was helping a neighbour. I just wanted to move the terminal in the house from one side of the window to the other and he kindly obliged. I couldn't do it myself as I didn't have the special screwdriver to fit the screws but they were replaced with normal screws. It's a drag because I could do the whole thing bar getting the plugs off!
G

utopia470
18-03-2006, 16:38
I managed to sort the problem by borrowing a long masonery drill from a friend, enlarging the hole in the wall then sealing the space round the cable with mastic to prevent draughts and 'nasty' things getting in. A very cheap method and one that is reversible if you want to move the cable again in the future. Hope this helps.:D

janipewter
18-03-2006, 18:21
I sorted the problem by purchasing a router and a large Ethernet cable :P

clarendon6
19-03-2006, 08:48
Funny you should say that utopia470 as I was thinking about that very idea! i.e. drilling a larger hole just above and connecting the present one and passing the cable up and through that way.
That's an idea I hadn't considered janipewter. I had thought of leaving the modem in the room and using wifi but routing ethernet cable instead hadn't occured to me.
Thanks both of you!
I'll post here once I've decided what to do.
G

peterjohno
21-03-2006, 12:45
I was going to do what you want also , and ive found out that the connectors at the end of the wire are called "f" type connectors and you can buy a crimping tool and connectors from maplins .

clarendon6
21-03-2006, 18:16
Hmmm, off to check that one. Cheers.
G