PDA

View Full Version : Sky question

Russ
16-03-2006, 09:52
If I have Sky installed but take the digibox and card to my mate's house occasionally to connect it to his dish (he had Sky taken out a while ago) so we can all watch it around there, would I be breaking the rules of the contract?

Derek
16-03-2006, 09:54
As far as I know you have to call Sky up to get the card paired to a specific box.

I think they can do this if you buy a box off ebay but wouldn't swap the cards back and forth for you.

EDIT:

Ah didn't see the bit about taking the box as well (must drink more coffee)

Yeah I think this is allowed. I can't see them finding out as long as the box can callback from your line every month or so. If this was for a night or couple of days I'd think it would be fine.

Nugget
16-03-2006, 09:56
If I have Sky installed but take the digibox and card to my mate's house occasionally to connect it to his dish (he had Sky taken out a while ago) so we can all watch it around there, would I be breaking the rules of the contract?

If he had Sky disconnected, would he still be able to receive the signal?

Apart from that, you may find that it's technically breaking the rules but, in all honesty, what would be the likelihood of them finding out?

andygrif
16-03-2006, 10:15
Yeah I think this is allowed. I can't see them finding out as long as the box can callback from your line every month or so. If this was for a night or couple of days I'd think it would be fine.

I'm not sure it's allowed, but I doubt anything would come of it either. First of all no-one will be watching the telly round at Russ' and second , as long as the box isn't plugged into the phone line at the temporary location then they will not know anyway.

As long as it's not for any extended period of time the box will just keep trying to connect to the phone line in the middle of the night as I understand it - after many attempts Sky will write to you reminding you of your contractual obligation to keep the box hooked up to the phone and threatening to charge you extra if you don't!

But if it's only for one night, I don't think it's unreasonable to do it, personally.

handyman
16-03-2006, 10:18
If he had Sky disconnected, would he still be able to receive the signal?

Apart from that, you may find that it's technically breaking the rules but, in all honesty, what would be the likelihood of them finding out?

Theres no breaking the rules, and if you have only 1 stb and have had it for over 12 months there is no requirement to have it plugged into a tel line anyway. Its your stb Its paid for all the channels it gets so there is nothing for sky to get wound up about.

However if you on multi room and taking a stb thats getting the channels for £10 a month and when sky call its not on the end of your telephone line they will ramp your billing for that stb up to the price of your other stb.

RealDiamond
16-03-2006, 15:40
Its all in your contract after 12 months each box is yours. if you cancel sky after 12 months. sky have to replace the card with the free view version, also the interactive discount that required the phone line is also up at the time limit in the contract which varies with the box type, so you can unplug the phone line after this. also BskyB is not the company giving you the shoping and phone services anyway.

Nugget
16-03-2006, 15:42
Its all in your contract after 12 months each box is yours. if you cancel sky after 12 months. sky have to replace the card with the free view version, also the interactive discount that required the phone line is also up at the time limit in the contract which varies with the box type, so you can unplug the phone line after this. also BskyB is not the company giving you the shoping and phone services anyway.

Why exactly would Sky have to replace the card with the freeview version? If you cancel your contract with them, they're not obliged to give you anything anymore.

handyman
16-03-2006, 16:31
Why exactly would Sky have to replace the card with the freeview version? If you cancel your contract with them, they're not obliged to give you anything anymore.

They have an agreement that they have to supply a sat freeview card to anyone requesting one, so long as they are outside their sky contract.

Nugget
16-03-2006, 16:32
They have an agreement that they have to supply a sat freeview card to anyone requesting one, so long as they are outside their sky contract.

Fair enough. Is that a fairly recent agreement, 'cos I've been a customer of Sky for a few years, and that's the first I've heard of it :)

Chris
16-03-2006, 16:35

I have wondered about this - I always thought the danger of discontinuing a Sky contract with the aim of continuing to receive free channels only was a risky business in case Sky at some point decide to replace everyone's viewing card again.

EBO48
16-03-2006, 16:40
I take my sky box to my caravan for about 3 months each summer and sky have never said anything

Chris
16-03-2006, 16:44
I take my sky box to my caravan for about 3 months each summer and sky have never said anything

They wouldn't. All they care about is that it's connected to the phone for the first 12 months. After that it's yours to do with as you please. The only exception to this is if it is part of a multiroom subscription. Because Multiroom means you are continually getting a discount deal from Sky, they are able to insist it remains connected to the phone. And they are a lot more particular about ensuring Multiroom boxes remain connected to the correct phone line in order to prevent neighbours from arranging among themselves to get Sky on the cheap.

Nugget
16-03-2006, 16:53
They wouldn't. All they care about is that it's connected to the phone for the first 12 months. After that it's yours to do with as you please. The only exception to this is if it is part of a multiroom subscription. Because Multiroom means you are continually getting a discount deal from Sky, they are able to insist it remains connected to the phone. And they are a lot more particular about ensuring Multiroom boxes remain connected to the correct phone line in order to prevent neighbours from arranging among themselves to get Sky on the cheap.

Another question then - if I had multiroom, would I need to have both boxes connected to the phone, or just the 'main' one? I'm only asking because we've considered getting multiroom, but I'll be buggered if I've got to faff about running another phone line around the house.

Derek
16-03-2006, 16:59
You need both connected so when they call back to Sky every so often they can check they are calling from the same number and not from your mates house down the road.

Chris
16-03-2006, 17:04
Another question then - if I had multiroom, would I need to have both boxes connected to the phone, or just the 'main' one? I'm only asking because we've considered getting multiroom, but I'll be buggered if I've got to faff about running another phone line around the house.

Both. They have to be able to check both boxes are in use at your house and not 'on loan' to your neighbour. They 'hit' them to phone home regularly.

However AFAIK the Sky installer should put the extra cabling in for you.

Graham M
16-03-2006, 18:12
I always wondered, does the box dialup for software upgrades or do Sky ring your home line with a special code that makes the Sky Boxe's Modem kick straight in?

KingPhoenix
16-03-2006, 22:37
They send a signal to your box via satelite to get your box to dial a number.... they never answer the call (hence it never appears on your bill) but they use caller ID for it....

Graham M
16-03-2006, 22:46
What about regards to software updates?

Paul
16-03-2006, 22:47
They send a signal to your box via satelite to get your box to dial a number.... they never answer the call (hence it never appears on your bill) but they use caller ID for it....I hope they dial the prefix then, since callerid is disabled on many lines (inc mine). It's also not available everywhere, so how do those work I wonder.

Chris
17-03-2006, 09:42
What about regards to software updates?

They hit it from the satellite. AFAIK there is no reason for the box to dial up, except perhaps to confirm successful download.