PDA

View Full Version : Do you get offended by your 'label'?

Russ
15-03-2006, 15:32
There are 'names' for people in most walks of life - gays get called 'shirtlifters', over-zealous workers get called 'jobsworths', those with with high Burberry content are 'chavs' - if you have such a label, are you offended by it?

If someone called me a 'Jesus-freak', 'Bible-basher' or a member of the 'God-squad' then I'd wear the title with pride - what about you?

driver_problems
15-03-2006, 16:19
There are 'names' for people in most walks of life - gays get called 'shirtlifters', over-zealous workers get called 'jobsworths', those with with high Burberry content are 'chavs' - if you have such a label, are you offended by it?

If someone called me a 'Jesus-freak', 'Bible-basher' or a member of the 'God-squad' then I'd wear the title with pride - what about you?

Gonna be a long thread this - I can sense it

:juggle:

Shaun
15-03-2006, 16:24
No they make me laugh, infact I can't think of a more stupid name for a poof than shirt-lifter! :rofl:

punky
15-03-2006, 16:36
Labels are like swear words. The word itself isn't offensive, its the context and emotion behind it.

Black people call themselves "niggers" all the time. One of the most offensive words in the English language has become a term of friendship and rapport for the very people who were most offended by it. Same would apply to "shirt-lifter" or "bible-basher". Its the same with any other word though. "She's a top bird" vs "She's just a bird".

Its not what we say that's important, its how we say things.

Russ
15-03-2006, 16:40
No they make me laugh, infact I can't think of a more stupid name for a poof than shirt-lifter! :rofl:

A guy I used to know called them 'dinnermashers' :spin:

danielf
15-03-2006, 16:56
My wife calls me a 'moron'. I'm not so much offended, I just don't understand :confused:

Nugget
15-03-2006, 16:58
My wife calls me a 'moron'. I'm not so much offended, I just don't understand :confused:

Is she a weightlifter? Maybe she just wants heavier things to lift, so you need to put more on.

Oh, hang on - I think she might be implying something...

:disturbd:

Russ
15-03-2006, 17:10
Everyone please step back - the Punmeister is in the room :D

Nugget
15-03-2006, 17:14

:wavey:

Can't believe I'm working late *mutter* *grumble* *chunter*

driver_problems
15-03-2006, 17:14
when I was in school they ran a pun competition and desperate to win I entered ten puns. I thought that I would have won the competition, or one of the puns would have, but in the end not one pun in ten did

danielf
15-03-2006, 17:15
Speaking of the Punmeister: I haven't seen Nikko in ages...

Nugget
15-03-2006, 17:16
Speaking of the Punmeister: I haven't seen Nikko in ages...

That's cos he's locked in my shed until he admits that I'm a better punner than he is :D

danielf
15-03-2006, 17:19
That's cos he's locked in my shed until he admits that I'm a better punner than he is :D

He'll have plenty of time to think up shedloads of puns then. I'd be afraid if I were you...

Nugget
15-03-2006, 17:22
He'll have plenty of time to think up shedloads of puns then. I'd be afraid if I were you...

Yep, absolutely bricking it! Oh, hang on ... dammit! It's a wooden shed!!!

:D

danielf
15-03-2006, 17:24
Yep, absolutely bricking it! Oh, hang on ... dammit! It's a wooden shed!!!

:D

A wooden spoon in the punning contest for you then ;)

Nugget
15-03-2006, 17:26
A wooden spoon in the punning contest for you then ;)

Don't worry - I'll flagellate myself later on :disturbd:

That'll be a suitable punishment :shocked:

Russ
15-03-2006, 17:29
OK back on topic now :D

Ramrod
15-03-2006, 17:30
Well Zingle called me 'a lanky streak of p*ss' last week.....and I wasn't offended :D

ikthius
15-03-2006, 17:52
no offence meant here to the gay people of this forum.

but My bro calls gay guys "crafty butchers"..........
cause they take their meat in the back door

ik

p.s. on the topic of labels, it denpends on what label is used and in what context, but it depends again on how I feel at the time too.

bopdude
15-03-2006, 18:04
Black people call themselves "niggers" all the time. One of the most offensive words in the English language has become a term of friendship and rapport for the very people who were most offended by it.
When I lived in South Africa there was a black guy ( boilermaker ) that used to call a lot of the other black labour 'kaffier' pronounced 'kaffer', this was meant as a term of endearment, also, it was a long time before it was 'fashionable' in the States or U.K.
Maybe he was ahead of his time :shrug: a good guy by the name of Sam Zenzili :tu:

So I don't think its the name / word, it's who says it, in what context they say / mean it and wether it's meant to cause mental aguish.

LemonyBrainAid
15-03-2006, 18:08
At our school there's labels like this - e.g. Emo, Goth, Nerd, Skater, Chav

You can't help but be labeled by the popular kids and there's just no end until you leave..

TBH I don't care what people call me.. I'll get PA on them :D

nffc
15-03-2006, 19:00
At our school there's labels like this - e.g. Emo, Goth, Nerd, Skater, Chav

You can't help but be labeled by the popular kids and there's just no end until you leave..

TBH I don't care what people call me.. I'll get PA on them :D
Who, or what, is PA (and what's your label?)

LemonyBrainAid
15-03-2006, 19:41

PA is short for private_ace - he's a good friend and a member of the clan..

http://www.nthwclan.com/gallery/upload/clanner%20pics/private_ace1977/PA_1.JPG

When I'm not insulting him - I'm usually kicking his **** on BF2 :D

Err.. My label has to be a bit of everything - in other words i dunno.. :D

ScaredWebWarrior
15-03-2006, 20:03
Well Zingle called me 'a lanky streak of p*ss' last week.....and I wasn't offended :DWas that because he was speaking the truth?

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Maybe he was ahead of his time :shrug: a good guy by the name of Sam Zenzili :tu:The term 'kaffer' (as I know it) was not one you'd use for your friends, ever.

So I don't think its the name / word, it's who says it, in what context they say / mean it and wether it's meant to cause mental aguish.To a point, that's true. This is why mates, amongst themselves, can call each other some really foul names and it won't be taken as offence. Use the same words down the street to some stranger, and you might get knifed as a result.

I actually think that if you psychoanalysed the why's and wherefore's of that phenomenon, you'd find it's not only a 'bonding' type of activity, it also signals to the group what the shared values/prejudices are going to be.

Anyway, the point I was making was that sometimes, and obviously more so in print (e.g. CF), people hear what is said, rather than how it was said - i.e. what the intent was - looking at the context to see what interpretation it supports. It isn't always carelessness that has people say 'the wrong thing' - sometimes it's because they're struggling to find a direct way of saying it - they fear what other will think. Of course, if you then pick up the wrong interpretation, they'll simply put up their defenses - thereby further strengthening the original interpretation. It's how wars start...

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

If someone called me a 'Jesus-freak', 'Bible-basher' or a member of the 'God-squad' then I'd wear the title with pride - what about you?Well, if they called me that, then I'd have to assume they got the wrong person!

You may indeed choose to 'wear it with pride' - but that's denying the fact they're being abusive. In many walks of life, it would amount to harrasment - i.e. usually a sackable offence.

By wearing it with pride, you are failing to assert your rights in the face of ignorant people. People should no more be allowed to use those terms of abuse - because they ARE intended to be abusive - than they are allowed to use racist abuse.

nffc
15-03-2006, 20:45
PA is short for private_ace - he's a good friend and a member of the clan..

http://www.nthwclan.com/gallery/upload/clanner%20pics/private_ace1977/PA_1.JPG

When I'm not insulting him - I'm usually kicking his **** on BF2 :D

Err.. My label has to be a bit of everything - in other words i dunno.. :D
So, you wear Burberry? :D

Maggy
15-03-2006, 20:51
How can I get offended when someone calls me a fat b*tch?
They are both true. ;)

However if someone calls me a liar or a racist or a thief then I'll be offended because they are not true.
Therefore I think it depends on the veracity of the comment.:scratch:

Dave Stones
15-03-2006, 20:54
I'm not entirely sure what label I would fall into. I wear mildly baggy jeans, and a large proportion of my clothing is Quiksilver etc branded. Skate/surf whore maybe?

Doesn't bother me really, I'm comfy and that's all that counts :D

Ramrod
15-03-2006, 20:55
Well Zingle called me 'a lanky streak of p*ss' last week.....and I wasn't offended :DWas that because he was speaking the truth?I like to think of myself as slim and toned :p:

Dave Stones
15-03-2006, 20:57
I like to think of myself as slim and toned :p:

I use that excuse too...

Mr_love_monkey
15-03-2006, 21:03
My wife labels me average, but I think she's just being mean

Maggy
15-03-2006, 21:04
My wife labels me average, but I think she's just being mean

Oh she's just in a mode...;)

LemonyBrainAid
15-03-2006, 21:05

No I bloody don't :P ;)

nffc
15-03-2006, 21:22
No I bloody don't :P ;)
Lol, so which bit of you is chav then?

Dave Stones
15-03-2006, 21:42

My vote is for the socks.

LemonyBrainAid
15-03-2006, 21:48

You stay away from m'socks

I dunno.. The fact I overuse the word "innit" ?

danielf
15-03-2006, 21:50

His Dad? :) :Sprint:

Dave Stones
15-03-2006, 21:52

Does using innit get you respeck among your brahs? ;) :p:

Marge
15-03-2006, 21:58
I know I'm a daft old northern bird so don't mind him indoors calling me it (amongst other things :erm: )

punky
15-03-2006, 22:00

Nah, its the fact that at the tender age of 12, you are already a p**shead :) :beer: :drunk:

LemonyBrainAid
15-03-2006, 22:03
Does using innit get you respeck among your brahs? ;) :p:

Totally bled. Respekt to all ma homies round my home town of New Haw and woking! Da Woking Massiv comin to get you!! Innit

Nah, its the fact that at the tender age of 12, you are already a p**shead :) :beer: :drunk:

Lol! innit!

nffc
15-03-2006, 22:05

Innit. Does you tuck yer trackies in yer socks innit?

punky
15-03-2006, 22:05
I know I'm a daft old northern bird so don't mind him indoors calling me it (amongst other things :erm: )

Woot, I have that in writing now :)

On that website which shows people who have my surname are distrbuted in the UK & Ireland, and a lot of my clan were in Ireland. Therefore my bird calls me a pikey, tinker, peg seller, etc. :)

nffc
15-03-2006, 22:07

Nuff sed, I remember hearing about that now... what was it again, white lightning? :D

Apart from occasionally slipping into Chav-speak (mainly to take the pee) I don't think I'm chav... I don't wear makeup, loads of jewellery, believe in "darkness" or dress in black so I can't be goth... I abhor skating so I'm not a sk8r... dunno what I am really, don't really fit into any of the "boxes" at all.

greencreeper
15-03-2006, 23:02
It does assume we're all active and that all men wear shirts, both of which are flawed :D

I don't mind too much - depends on the situation. Can sometimes spoil an evening. I've the view that the sharpest weapons are the enemies' weapons.

Russ
15-03-2006, 23:29
By wearing it with pride, you are failing to assert your rights in the face of ignorant people.

Really?? :confused:

I wouldn't bother causing any fuss if someone called me that - I'd consider the sort of person who would kick up a ruckus over that sort of comment would be the type who goes looking for racist/sexist/any other -ist comments whether they exist or not.

bopdude
16-03-2006, 05:17
I've the view that the sharpest weapons are the enemies' weapons.
:disturbd: :naughty: :D

---------- Post added at 05:17 ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 ----------

Maybe he was ahead of his time :shrug: a good guy by the name of Sam Zenzili :tu:The term 'kaffer' (as I know it) was not one you'd use for your friends, ever.

You could be right, but there again 10 / 15 years ago a black man wouldn't have called a fellow black man a 'nigger' as a friend, would he ?? All I know is what I saw and heard, and the response given........ a smile :D

Seems all to popular now, not being black, I don't get it :D

ScaredWebWarrior
16-03-2006, 09:37
I wouldn't bother causing any fuss if someone called me that I know, and I understand where you're coming from.

Now try and see where I'm coming from.
I'd consider the sort of person who would kick up a ruckus over that sort of comment would be the type who goes looking for racist/sexist/any other -ist comments whether they exist or not.I think I can safely say that is NOT me.

What I am trying to say is that by your indifference to the use of those labels to make fun of you, you are in effect saying that it's OK for people to use those abusive labels. It would be like black people ignoring it when someone calls them 'nigger' - and I'm not referring to banter among themselves here.

The use of labels as terms of abuse is an issue of ignorance. Whether they be racist, demeaning of someone's religion or insensitive to someone's mental or physical health - why should it be tolerated?

You make think it's the old 'sticks and stone...' - but in reality these things can really hurt someone.

Russ
16-03-2006, 09:44
If something offends me, I'll speak up about it. If it doesn't offend me, I'm happy to leave people to their own ignorance. Failing to assert? I think that's an extreme way of describing it.

ScaredWebWarrior
16-03-2006, 09:46
Failing to assert? I think that's an extreme way of describing it.Try telling that to vulnerable people who are bullied by ignorant people hurling abuse at them.

Russ
16-03-2006, 09:51
Try telling that to vulnerable people who are bullied by ignorant people hurling abuse at them.

But you weren't talking about them - your comment was aimed at me.

ScaredWebWarrior
16-03-2006, 09:59
But you weren't talking about them - your comment was aimed at me.Does it matter which black man a racist calls 'nigger'?

Do you not think that the strong and thick-skinned should stand up for those who are not?

Russ
16-03-2006, 11:20
Does it matter which black man a racist calls 'nigger'?

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Do you not think that the strong and thick-skinned should stand up for those who are not?

Yes I do - but your original statement was not put across in that context.

I said I couldn't care if someone called me a Bible basher, and you then claimed I was "failing to assert my rights in the face of ignorant people". My response was that's avery extreme way of looking at it - I couldn't care if someone called me a Jesus-freak.

However if I saw the same people hassling someone else in the same way then yes I'd deal with it as appropriate.

ScaredWebWarrior
16-03-2006, 11:38
What's that got to do with the price of fish?Very pertinent to the point I am trying to make, but you're just not getting it.

Russ
16-03-2006, 11:45
Very pertinent to the point I am trying to make, but you're just not getting it.

But nothing to do with what I'm trying to say!

I'm not suggesting I'd just walk on by if another person was getting hassled - indeed I'm aware that not everyone would take "Bible basher" as a compliment, so as I said I'd step in as appropriate.