PDA

View Full Version : 10mb

White
14-03-2006, 23:08
anyone know if ntl are still uping all speeds to 10meg, and if so when?

bopdude
14-03-2006, 23:32
I wasn't aware that they were upping all speed tier's to 10 meg :dozey: :shrug: you got a link anywhere ??

jtwn
14-03-2006, 23:41
I think these plans were canned a while back.

etccarmageddon
14-03-2006, 23:52
I wasn't aware that they were upping all speed tier's to 10 meg :dozey: :shrug: you got a link anywhere ??http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard

bopdude
14-03-2006, 23:59
I wasn't aware that they were upping all speed tier's to 10 meg :dozey: :shrug: you got a link anywhere ??http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard

Not sure I see it there either, it says the 'standard' will be 10 meg, nothing about doing away with lower speed ties ... or am I being thick :dozey:

Chrysalis
15-03-2006, 06:33
it wouldnt surprise me if they were canned when they decided to switch to unmetered instead as an alternative freebie.

Their has been clear problems since the top tier was upgraded and that was only a small % of customers. The amount of investment needed to make it work for all tiers I would guess is "unviable" in business talk.

etccarmageddon
15-03-2006, 07:33
Not sure I see it there either, it says the 'standard' will be 10 meg, nothing about doing away with lower speed ties ... or am I being thick :dozey:the lower tiers will remain but with the option to have 10meg and 2 allowance options depending on tier or you can stay on 1meg and 2meg with no usage limits.

---------- Post added at 07:33 ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 ----------

it wouldnt surprise me if they were canned when they decided to switch to unmetered instead as an alternative freebie.

Their has been clear problems since the top tier was upgraded and that was only a small % of customers. The amount of investment needed to make it work for all tiers I would guess is "unviable" in business talk.it's unviable not to compete with bulldog/bt and the rest who are offering upto 8meg with small usage allowances (which are usually hidden in the small print!).

bopdude
15-03-2006, 08:28

Not sure I see it there either, it says the 'standard' will be 10 meg, nothing about doing away with lower speed ties ... or am I being thick :dozey:the lower tiers will remain but with the option to have 10meg and 2 allowance options depending on tier or you can stay on 1meg and 2meg with no usage limits.

So the answer is, they're not upgrading all speeds to 10 meg ;)

Chrysalis
15-03-2006, 09:34
it's unviable not to compete with bulldog/bt and the rest who are offering upto 8meg with small usage allowances (which are usually hidden in the small print!).

I doubt sales are been hit too hard, look at the pitch.

"Unmetered" internet for 17.99 and 24.99 respectively, speeds upto 10meg.

That looks a lot better then 8meg internet for 24.99 xx gig inclusive.

Difference is bt are moving to a one size fits all upto 8meg service so even those stuck on lower speeds will have the respective caps, ntl are at least for now keeping the lower 2 speeds and providing consumer's with a choice. From a marketing perspective they are strong.

Bullfrog wont concern ntl at all the coverage is too low.

etccarmageddon
15-03-2006, 10:59
So the answer is, they're not upgrading all speeds to 10 meg ;)no the answer is 10meg will be the standard for ntl customers by end of this year.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

I doubt sales are been hit too hard, look at the pitch.

"Unmetered" internet for 17.99 and 24.99 respectively, speeds upto 10meg.

That looks a lot better then 8meg internet for 24.99 xx gig inclusive.

Difference is bt are moving to a one size fits all upto 8meg service so even those stuck on lower speeds will have the respective caps, ntl are at least for now keeping the lower 2 speeds and providing consumer's with a choice. From a marketing perspective they are strong.

Bullfrog wont concern ntl at all the coverage is too low.eh

""Unmetered" internet for 17.99 and 24.99 respectively, speeds upto 10meg."

dont you mean speeds of 1meg and 2meg?

bopdude
15-03-2006, 11:03
So the answer is, they're not upgrading all speeds to 10 meg ;)no the answer is 10meg will be the standard for ntl customers by end of this year.

So there will be no lower tiers, 10 meg will be the only speed available ??

etccarmageddon
15-03-2006, 11:48
So there will be no lower tiers, 10 meg will be the only speed available ??

there will be 3 tiers with usage allowances but all at 10meg
which explains the original question...

but it is believed there will be also be the option to have the old lower speeds but unlimited usage allowances. there's been plenty of threads on this subject so feel free to read all the posts!

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 ----------

more info here:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/207/ntl-10-meg-service-to-get-price-reduction

In 2006 ntl will launch additional 10Mb and unlimited broadband services at a range of different price points to match individual needs

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

and even clearer info here:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/203/10-mbps-rollout-to-commence-on-november-8th

According to ntl, once the rollout to existing 3 Mbps customers has been completed, the rollout to the 2 Mbps & 1 Mbps customers will commence in 2006. The price of these is also expected to remain the same (at £24.99 and £17.99) . They will however have lower monthly limits (the current 30GB and 3GB respectivly being the most likely values).

Cable Forum also believe that ntl have plans to offer a number of lower speed ‘uncapped’ services. ....

Maggy
15-03-2006, 12:32
Bum! I wish someone would get an uncatergorical absolute answer from NTL about what exactly they are going to offer us.I'm frankly perfectly happy with 1MB unlimited.

Chrysalis
15-03-2006, 13:18
the press release stated that 10meg will be universally rolled out by end of 2006 and unmetered speeds would be available on lower tiers.

If ntl were to scrap the universal 10 meg rollout they are best to keep quiet as long as possible so its entirely possible they are scrapped, nothing is fact until it happens.

etccarmageddon
15-03-2006, 15:00
the press release stated that 10meg will be universally rolled out by end of 2006 and unmetered speeds would be available on lower tiers...I dont think the unmetered speeds on lower tiers is a press release item but is something the cable forum team 'believe' is the intention.

I think the only thing to believe is that things will progress as the market dictates.

IanUK
15-03-2006, 15:43
It would be ludicrous for NTL to implement 10mb across the board until their network and peering arrangemenmts are vastly improved, but being as this is NTL we are talking about - they will probably announce 24 meg speed increases in April/May and this forum will be full of threads about how their 24 meg connection is worse than 1 meg.

Shall we take bets ?

etccarmageddon
15-03-2006, 15:49
It would be ludicrous for NTL to implement 10mb across the board until their network and peering arrangemenmts are vastly improved...we really dont know the extent of the problems - is it just a small number/percentage of users who are having problems or is it a significant level? my finger in the wind opinion is that in the current state, as only a small portion of users are on the top tier and increasing that to 10meg has appeared to cause grief, if the other tiers were upgraded soon, we'd all be on upto 10meg running at 1/2meg!

...but being as this is NTL we are talking about - they will probably announce 24 meg speed increases in April/May....I just cant see the point in that level of speed as most ADSL lines wont do it due to length or lack of a provider and most users have no need for 24meg.

IanUK
15-03-2006, 15:57
we really dont know the extent of the problems - is it just a small number/percentage of users who are having problems or is it a significant level? my finger in the wind opinion is that in the current state, as only a small portion of users are on the top tier and increasing that to 10meg has appeared to cause grief, if the other tiers were upgraded soon, we'd all be on upto 10meg running at 1/2meg!

I just cant see the point in that level of speed as most ADSL lines wont do it due to length or lack of a provider and most users have no need for 24meg.

I'd guess they will do it at some point just so they can advertise it to compete with DSL, we know that DSL is a hit & miss affair for speeds but to the layman it probably hurts NTL's sales that DSL 'seems' faster.

The peering is rubbish or the proxies are, or both - its easy to see when you can compare say a BE connection with an NTL one, speeds are way better on BE, my NTL connection is pretty good as it goes - I get pretty much full whack to UK sites so it isn't local congestion - but USA & Euro sites slow massively from about 3pm onwards, they don't with BE - NTL need to sort out the peering or proxies, but I'm pretty much given up banging my head - so I chill a bit more :)

Chrysalis
15-03-2006, 17:59
etccarmageddon I believe the problems are more widespread then people believe many users will not notice problems or just not bothered enough, eg. I get good performance early hours and I could be leniant and accept it after all 10meg 25% of the day is better then none of the day.

Their is also the modem swap issue, I think the STB boxes not been compatible came as a bit of a shock to ntl and the swapping needed clearly wasnt forseen as they did a late £50 fee announcement for hardware swaps, which if forseen would have applied from day one. Their will be a much bigger farce if this applied to the bulk of their customer base rather then the small % that are on the top tier.

NH001
15-03-2006, 19:13
Just picking up on this tread. Have 10mb and performance from about 5.30pm is poor and can be during the day. I upgraded because I work from home and is now starting to effect work. It kept timing out earlier downloading a 3mb email!

Results are below.
Broadband Speed Test Results

Results from broadband speed test recorded on Wednesday, 15 March 2006, 19:09.
Your Connection

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)
Downstream7 Kbps (0.9 KB/sec)7 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream251 Kbps (31.4 KB/sec)271 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Any ideas on how to resolve?

Rone
15-03-2006, 19:18
"Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)
Downstream7 Kbps (0.9 KB/sec)7 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream251 Kbps (31.4 KB/sec)271 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Any ideas on how to resolve?"

Get adsl. :(

Chrysalis
15-03-2006, 19:27
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=671574d8109ff5ff8674883a6e0

Downstream 1008 Kbps (126.0 KB/sec) 1088 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 505 Kbps (63.1 KB/sec) 545 Kbps (inc. overheads)

etccarmageddon 3 posts in a row and possibly 3 different area's.

NH001
15-03-2006, 19:47
Just had an interesting chat with NTL support.

Avg download was 60 - 70k/sec
After resetting still nothing.

However, when they gave me a new proxy I was getting approx. 1.1 MB/sec that is about right.

They are suggesting a problem with the server in my area (M33) and to use the proxy for a week and retry without.

Mystical
15-03-2006, 19:58
Ilford, Essex area here

Downstream 2165 Kbps (270.6 KB/sec) 2338 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 481 Kbps (60.1 KB/sec) 519 Kbps (inc. overheads)

IanUK
16-03-2006, 09:06
Just had an interesting chat with NTL support.

Avg download was 60 - 70k/sec
After resetting still nothing.

However, when they gave me a new proxy I was getting approx. 1.1 MB/sec that is about right.

They are suggesting a problem with the server in my area (M33) and to use the proxy for a week and retry without.

As usual though, they will do nothing about fixing the proxies and merely push those affected onto someone else's area which of course starts the whole thing over again.