PDA

View Full Version : can I use a coax cable installed for a satellite dish for cable instead?...

seanl
14-03-2006, 20:23
I have just signed up for telewest broadband and one thing that may put us off is if the cable can't be neatly installed into the house. We have a satellite dish which we don't use but which has a coax cable at about the point where telewest may want to enter the house. Question is, are coax cables which are suitable for satellite, also suitable for cable broadband/tv.?

Any help appreciated.

handyman
14-03-2006, 20:48
Nope not as good quality. Cable tv and broadband runs over very tightly controlled frequencies.

seanl
15-03-2006, 22:49
so are you saying that it simply wouldn't work or that I would risk a loss of service. If it would work but would be sub optimal, would telewest connect it if I asked them to?

Maybe the coax, though for the satellite dish, is good enough quality anyway. It is from the inside out ...

copper core
5 section polythene sheath
copper foil
braided copper wire
rubber outer

I ams sure there is a more technical way to describe it ;)

philquinney
15-03-2006, 23:36
If you go ahead and use sub-standard cable you risk introducing interference back into the Telewest network. This could have a negative impact on your neighbours' service and Telewest will track it down to you. Then you'll get a rather nasty letter....

Seriously, it might be possible if you get the right kind of cabling but you shouldn't be touching any of the coaxial stuff. That's the property of Telewest and shouldn't be touched by anyone other than them.

Phil.

handyman
15-03-2006, 23:51
If you ask nice the telewest tech might leave a surplus of cable that you can run yourself.

Jon T
16-03-2006, 08:24
Handyman,

It may be different depending where you are in the country, but my NTL co-ax is CT100, exactly the same stuff as in installed on my SKY system.

The only problem that I can see is the compression fit "F" connectors that NTL use, they do have an effect on the ingress/egress of RF comapres to a screwfit "F".

handyman
16-03-2006, 09:30
Hmm the cable used in Teesside was high quality white with a kind of braided exterior finish, It was thicker and more bend resistent than sky cable plus as you state its got crimped connections which are way better that the twist on sky jobs.