PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My old 100 Modem's pants on 10Mb!

albertini
13-03-2006, 15:47
Hi folks,

Just moved house recently & took my broadband with me. Got an old NTLHome100 modem. Also took out Digital TV as well & got one of the new snazzy Samsung 2110 boxes (think thats the one - its the very very latest anyway!)

When I contacted tech support 'cos I couldn't connect they told my my account hadn't been switched over, sorted it & offered me a 10Mb broadband trial for 2 months. I was very happy with this & took it up. And thats when it all went wrong!

My modem keeps intermittently resetting itself when I start downloading at speed. I think the pool 'ol thing canni take nee more cap'n!

After several calls to tech support (in India!), 1 failed engineer visit today (silly sod went to the wrong flat & called my old telephone number only to be told by my Mam that I'm at work!:mad: ) I'm getting increasingly frustrated.

Tech support (in India!) are now telling me they can't see anything wrong with my modem & everything should be fine, therefore they cannot book another engineer visit:mad: . I think they have problem understanding the term "intermittent fault"

Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way of connecting via my new snazzy Samsung STB instead? and if so, what are the chances this will resolve my "intermittent fault"

Any suggestions fellas?

Regards,
Al

Graham M
13-03-2006, 16:13
Hi folks,

Just moved house recently & took my broadband with me. Got an old NTLHome100 modem. Also took out Digital TV as well & got one of the new snazzy Samsung 2110 boxes (think thats the one - its the very very latest anyway!)

When I contacted tech support 'cos I couldn't connect they told my my account hadn't been switched over, sorted it & offered me a 10Mb broadband trial for 2 months. I was very happy with this & took it up. And thats when it all went wrong!

My modem keeps intermittently resetting itself when I start downloading at speed. I think the pool 'ol thing canni take nee more cap'n!

After several calls to tech support (in India!), 1 failed engineer visit today (silly sod went to the wrong flat & called my old telephone number only to be told by my Mam that I'm at work!:mad: ) I'm getting increasingly frustrated.

Tech support (in India!) are now telling me they can't see anything wrong with my modem & everything should be fine, therefore they cannot book another engineer visit:mad: . I think they have problem understanding the term "intermittent fault"

Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way of connecting via my new snazzy Samsung STB instead? and if so, what are the chances this will resolve my "intermittent fault"

Any suggestions fellas?

Regards,
Al

The Samsung STB cannot reach full 10MBit speeds either

albertini
13-03-2006, 16:28
Damn, looks like its back to 2Mb to get a stable connection for me then:(

Graham M
13-03-2006, 16:31
Look at it this way, 2MBit is Unlimited, 10MBit is capped. So I think you get a far better Quality of Service anyway on 2.