PDA

View Full Version : ntl 10mb dunstable/houghton regis

g7pkf
13-03-2006, 12:03
Hi all newbie to this message board after much deliberation i am thinking of going on the ntl 10mb service in houghton regis (dunstable).

do ntl port block? as i want to run my own web/email server.

additionally does anyone run vpn over it? hows that okay?

what happens if you go over 75Gb? (not really an issue i average at 6)

how reliable is the connection is it true 24/7 or do you suffer dropouts.

is the 10Mb 10MB down 512 up? what is the true spec that you get?

anyone run V.O.I.P over it? how do you find it?

is it 34.99 or 37.99 they list 2 prices on there web site.

cheer's dean aka G7PKF.

please if you are in my area post your replies with a note of being in dunstable.

corestores are cool you could repair them with a bit of wire.

surfing along with metronet-sorry now minusnet

jtwn
13-03-2006, 13:41
Port Blocking : http://bbplus.ntlworld.com/tunnel.php?task=portBlocking

AbyssUnderground
13-03-2006, 15:13
I run a Web Server on my connection and I can verify that it is OK to do so as long as its not a profit making website and it doesnt attract too much attention (I get about 1000 page hits a day and NTL have never made a fuss).

NTL do not block any ports as far as I know. EDIT: Just read the post above. They do block some ports but none to do with web hosting.

VPN is fine.

If you go over 75GB you get dropped to the 512Kbps service for the remainder of the month.

My connection has got a 99% uptime so far since I started running my Web Server 6 months ago.

The speeds are 10Mbps down (about 1200KB/s) and 512Kbps up (about 60KB/s). If NTL get their act together you should get these speeds.

Ive run VOIP before and Ive found it fine with up to 4 people at a time on Skype.

Its 34.99 now. 37.99 was the old price.

If you need any help setting up a server at home, let me know and Ill be happy to help. If you have MSN, add msn (at) abyssunderground.co.uk and I can help on there. My website is dedicated to helping set up servers at home as well so take a look if you get stuck.

Hope this helps.

PS: My Call is 2E0EZW :p:

g7pkf
13-03-2006, 15:25
Thanks for the offer i do not need any help setting up a server.

i currently run 2 compag dl380's as servers 1 for web etc
1 just for email and other sware. both use clarkconnect.

and 1 ml370 running 2003 server for ui-view etc

these have now been running for 2 years, in full height rack with aircon and 1400 apc ups..

yes it looks quite impressive

AbyssUnderground
13-03-2006, 15:37
It sounds like a small datacentre your running there!

g7pkf
18-03-2006, 09:49
anyone in dunstable / houghton regis area care to comment on the reliability/speed in this area?

hope not in a way coz that would mean not many users;)