PDA

View Full Version : NTL Cable modem 250 question

saycheese
13-03-2006, 11:42
Hello,is it possible to run 2 Pc's simultaneously off 1 cable modem 250 by connecting 1 to a usb and the other to an ethernet plug (has anyone tried this?) or as i suspect will i need a router to do this. Cheers.

Aragorn
13-03-2006, 11:44
:welcome: to CF

Short answer is no. You will need a router. Linksys are probably the best (no probs with the two I've had).

saycheese
13-03-2006, 11:51
:welcome: to CF

Short answer is no. You will need a router. Linksys are probably the best (no probs with the two I've had).
Thanks for the quick reply Aragorn, i wanted to do it this way as the other pc hasn't got an ethernet connection but i'll have to get one now and a router.

Graham M
13-03-2006, 11:54
You can pick up Network Cards very cheaply, sometimes for less than £5

saycheese
13-03-2006, 12:07
You can pick up Network Cards very cheaply, sometimes for less than £5 Im a bit wary of fitting things myself as I tried fitting a network card to my old pc last year but it fried the power pack and the speakers plugged into and it so i had to buy a new set of speakers and a power pack.

nemesis01
13-03-2006, 12:39
Im a bit wary of fitting things myself as I tried fitting a network card to my old pc last year but it fried the power pack and the speakers plugged into and it so i had to buy a new set of speakers and a power pack.

damn, did you even unplug the pc before fitting it? :D

g7pkf
13-03-2006, 12:43
quite easy to fix.

even fixed prices from some suppliers.

i use this person.

http://www.packetradio.co.uk/pcrepair/upgrades.htm

only does local stuff though

saycheese
13-03-2006, 13:34
I bought the network card second hand from Amazon and it must have been a faulty one as i done everything you should have like switching the pc off first;) and grounding myself.I contacted the seller but he refused to accept responsability and Amazon wouldn't help

Graham M
13-03-2006, 14:09
So long as you put the PCI Card in a PCI Slot and make sure there's no Metal touching any of the motherboard components and that the card is well seated in the slot, you should have no problem what so ever. There is virtually no point in buying a second hand network card as they are so cheap to buy new.

saycheese
13-03-2006, 14:27
So long as you put the PCI Card in a PCI Slot and make sure there's no Metal touching any of the motherboard components and that the card is well seated in the slot, you should have no problem what so ever. There is virtually no point in buying a second hand network card as they are so cheap to buy new. I've taken out a modem and put in a Tv card before so i know what i'm doing it's just i wanted to find an alternative way to connect the two pc's to ntl without installing new hardware first, but i'll have to get the brand new network card and router now