PDA

View Full Version : Just making 100 pints of pilsner

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 16:14
As per title.
I am just letting the mixture (malt extract, sugar, hops extract) cool in my kitchen and then I will add the yeast to it! Bottle it in about a week and start drinking in about a month.
Just in time for Christmas!:D

Bex
23-11-2003, 16:25
As per title.
I am just letting the mixture (malt extract, sugar, hops extract) cool in my kitchen and then I will add the yeast to it! Bottle it in about a week and start drinking in about a month.

homebrew...great...when i was about 13/14 dad used to do homebrew....was fantastic could go and nick some and he never noticed :p (obviously when it was properly formented)

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 16:31
homebrew...great...when i was about 13/14 dad used to do homebrew....was fantastic could go and nick some and he never noticed :p (obviously when it was properly formented)(fermented)
My grandfather used to keep a barrel of homebrew on the go under the kitchen table:D
The bottles that I use to bottle the almost finished product are his. That makes them about 50 years old.

kronas
23-11-2003, 16:32
tut tut all that liver damage :rolleyes:

homealone
23-11-2003, 16:47
As per title.

does any bottom fermenting yeast work, Ramrod, or do you need a 'special' one, for pilsner?

Chimaera
23-11-2003, 16:50
So when's the party Ramrod??

Can PM us with the invites! ;)

Bex
23-11-2003, 16:53
(fermented).

:bigcry: thats what i meant, im poorly leave me alone :p

Can PM us with the invites
dont forget chimmy we own him anyway :naughty: aka bidding thread....

Maggy
23-11-2003, 16:54
Brings back memories from 40 years ago when myfather made his own home brew.Only he made beer without the wire topped lids to start with.Every single bottle of the first batch lost it's lid as the explosions took over.After that my mum made him get better bottles and keep them in the garage.:D

Incog.

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 17:04
does any bottom fermenting yeast work, Ramrod, or do you need a 'special' one, for pilsner?I just use a bottom fermenting lager yeast but saaz hops and a 'pale' malt. I have used baking yeast in the past.:disturbd:

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 17:05
tut tut all that liver damage :rolleyes:The liver is evil, it must be punished!:D

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 17:06

Can PM us with the invites! ;)It's mine, all mine, you hear me!:disturbd: :D

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 17:08
dont forget chimmy we own him anyway :naughty: aka bidding thread....Your wish is my command, oh mistresses!
:rofl:

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 17:09
Brings back memories from 40 years ago when myfather made his own home brew.Only he made beer without the wire topped lids to start with.Every single bottle of the first batch lost it's lid as the explosions took over.After that my mum made him get better bottles and keep them in the garage.:D

Incog.:rofl: that must have been one hell of a mess!
(He must have bottled the beer too early when it still had too much fermenting to do.)

Bex
23-11-2003, 17:10
Your wish is my command, oh mistresses!
:rofl:

oooerrrr anything??????? :naughty:

and btw either you are trying to increase ur post count or u havent worked out u can quote more than one person per reply :p

paulyoung666
23-11-2003, 17:48

and btw either you are trying to increase ur post count or u havent worked out u can quote more than one person per reply :p

i was wondering that myself , i have only tried making beer once and wasnt to fussed , now if you are talking wine then it was evil stuff i made , christ only knows how strong it was , but you only needed one bottle :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bex
23-11-2003, 17:54
i was wondering that myself , i have only tried making beer once and wasnt to fussed , now if you are talking wine then it was evil stuff i made , christ only knows how strong it was , but you only needed one bottle :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

my uncle started making homebrew wine when he had to give up his job at the met.......OML is that stuff strong, it almost blows your head off

Theodoric
23-11-2003, 18:40
Ah, I must bow my head in shame and admit that I, too, don't know how to quote more than one person per reply. How is it done?

Theodoric
23-11-2003, 18:45
As per title.

You won't be allowed to sell it in Germany. The German Reinheitsgebot only allows the use of barley malt, hops, yeast and water for the brewing of bottom-fermented beer

Chimaera
23-11-2003, 18:48
Well iI have a demijohn of rose wine that is ready for bottling - well it has been for some time actually!
I accidentally bottled some wine too early once - luckily the house I was living in at the time had a cellar - I lost 3 bottles - but sparkling elderflower wine is LOVELY!!!!
:drunk:

danielf
23-11-2003, 18:49
Ah, I must bow my head in shame and admit that I, too, don't know how to quote more than one person per reply. How is it done?

What I do is the following. Reply to post #1, click new window on the browser, go back to the original thread (in the new window), and find the second post to be quoted. Reply to this, and copy the text from the reply box, and paste this in the reply box where post #1 is quoted. Hope this makes sense.

Edit: and another option is to write then copy the text and finish with Obviously, you want to write quote rather than qoute, but if I would have done that, you wouldn't be able to read it, as the system would have formatted it as a quote

Bex
23-11-2003, 18:59
What I do is the following. Reply to post #1, click new window on the browser, go back to the original thread (in the new window), and find the second post to be quoted. Reply to this, and copy the text from the reply box, and paste this in the reply box where post #1 is quoted. Hope this makes sense.

Edit: and another option is to write then copy the text and finish with Obviously, you want to write quote rather than qoute, but if I would have done that, you wouldn't be able to read it, as the system would have formatted it as a quote

there is a much easier way to do it.......

i reply to the originally post i want to quote, and clicking the "reply" button automatically adds it....

and then use the scroll bar on the right side of the screen and go down to the list of the last replies, copy and paste it.....on the reply box which allows u to write your reply, you will see along the top the font, size etc...and there are some symbols...use the quote type button there....u need to click it twice...once at the front and once at the end.....

and hey presto multiple quotes HTH?

paulyoung666
23-11-2003, 19:09
Well iI have a demijohn of rose wine that is ready for bottling - well it has been for some time actually!
I accidentally bottled some wine too early once - luckily the house I was living in at the time had a cellar - I lost 3 bottles - but sparkling elderflower wine is LOVELY!!!!
:drunk:

can i help you taste it and get :drunk: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

danielf
23-11-2003, 19:12

i reply to the originally post i want to quote, and clicking the "reply" button automatically adds it....

and then use the scroll bar on the right side of the screen and go down to the list of the last replies, copy and paste it.....on the reply box which allows u to write your reply, you will see along the top the font, size etc...and there are some symbols...use the quote type button there....u need to click it twice...once at the front and once at the end.....

Ah, that one's new to me. But I presume you still have to add the =username inside the opening quote?

Bex
23-11-2003, 19:14
Ah, that one's new to me. But I presume you still have to add the =username inside the opening quote?
yaha u can do....im lazy and normally don't bother tho :erm:

hope it helps tho

Maggy
23-11-2003, 19:23

would you care to explain how to do that.does it involve a lot of copy and paste? :spin:

incog :waving:

Bex
23-11-2003, 19:33
would you care to explain how to do that.does it involve a lot of copy and paste? :spin:

incog :waving:

coggy i explained it in post 21

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 20:18
You won't be allowed to sell it in Germany. The German Reinheitsgebot only allows the use of barley malt, hops, yeast and water for the brewing of bottom-fermented beerI didn't know that!:)

aliferste
23-11-2003, 20:22
Anyone know if it is easy to make cider?

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 20:25
I prefer to reply to each person in a different post as it is less confusing (imo) for people reading the replys. It's also easier to reply to multiple posts as I can just go down the line of posts I want to reply to and reply to each one in turn in a seperate post of my own. (It's also less confusing for me when people reply to posts individually as well:scratch: :dunce: )

Ramrod
23-11-2003, 20:28
Anyone know if it is easy to make cider? Never made it but I would surmise that you need to press apples for their juice then add sugar and yeast and then wait a while. The partly finished (by now alcoholic mixture) is then probably filtered into bottles and allowed to undergo it's secondary fermentation. Anyone know any better than that?:confused:

fireman328
23-11-2003, 20:29

It must be, otherwise the West Country would be empty.

:cool:

Theodoric
24-11-2003, 19:32

What like this?

yaha u can do....im lazy and normally don't bother tho
hope it helps tho
We shall see what happens.

oooerrrr anything???????
and btw either you are trying to increase ur post count or u havent worked out u can quote more than one person per reply
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."

EDIT: Thank you ma'am. I can now reply to everyone in sight, if only I can solve the little problem of finding something useful to say to everyone. :)

Chris
25-11-2003, 13:30
Never made it but I would surmise that you need to press apples for their juice then add sugar and yeast and then wait a while. The partly finished (by now alcoholic mixture) is then probably filtered into bottles and allowed to undergo it's secondary fermentation. Anyone know any better than that?:confused:
Cider is more akin to winemaking - you have to use a sealed fermentation vessel with an airlock, unlike beer which you can brew in a loosely covered plastic bucket.

You can use a demijohn for cider, but you can also get large plastic fermentation barrels that can be used with or without an airlock, so they can make wine, cider or beer.

If you make your cider from pressed apple juice, you will need a hydrometer in order to check the amount of natural sugar in the liquid before you add any of the granulated kind - consult the chart that comes with the hydrometer to see how much alcohol the initial specific gravity will yield, then carefully add more sugar until you reach the desired level.

Loading sugar into your mix to make extra strong cider sounds like a laugh, but I know from experience that ending up with 20 pints of cider that's somewhat stronger than table wine is no joke - I couldn't just quaff a pint when I felt thirsty without ending up under the table in double-quick time. (Maybe some folks think this is a good thing tho'!)

If you're starting out, a can of concentrated juice with instructions on how much sugar to add is a good way to find your feet (or become increasingly unsteady on them, as the case may be :) )

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 13:40
Loading sugar into your mix to make extra strong cider sounds like a laugh, but I know from experience that ending up with 20 pints of cider that's somewhat stronger than table wine is no joke - I couldn't just quaff a pint when I felt thirsty without ending up under the table in double-quick time. (Maybe some folks think this is a good thing tho'!)

:rofl: I did that accidentaly with my beer once(All I did was add 2kg extra sugar:rolleyes: ). Each bottle holds about 2 pints and after one bottle I was slaughtered! Of course I had a bottle every evening:disturbd:

paulyoung666
25-11-2003, 14:07
:rofl: I did that accidentaly with my beer once(All I did was add 2kg extra sugar:rolleyes: ). Each bottle holds about 2 pints and after one bottle I was slaughtered! Of course I had a bottle every evening:disturbd:

cant beat a bit more yeast to ferment out the extra sugar you add by accident :p :p :p :p

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 14:11
cant beat a bit more yeast to ferment out the extra sugar you add by accident :p :p :p :pIt did all ferment!:drunk: :D

paulyoung666
25-11-2003, 14:45
It did all ferment!:drunk: :D

i wonder what the %age alcohol was , it sounds pretty high to me :p :p :p :p

Marge
25-11-2003, 14:49
I just can't help but think about the Macc Lads song "beer beer we want more beer" :drunk: :drunk: but due to this being a family forum can't quote the rest of the song however google can fill the rest in :erm:

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 15:07
i wonder what the %age alcohol was , it sounds pretty high to me :p :p :p :pWell it couldn't have been more than about 13%. (It felt like it was about 8 or 9%)

paulyoung666
25-11-2003, 15:15
Well it couldn't have been more than about 13%. (It felt like it was about 8 or 9%)

8 or 9 % is good enough i reckon , i dont think i have seen beer stronger than that anyway :D :D :D :D

Dave Stones
25-11-2003, 15:26
8 or 9 % is good enough i reckon , i dont think i have seen beer stronger than that anyway :D :D :D :D

there's that 20-odd percent stuff safeway have only just brought out isnt there?? the ones that the rednecks make in the back of their shed or something, i forget its name...

anyway, does anyone think i should delve into the world of home brewing, or do you think my flatmates wouldnt appreciate alchol fumes around the flat for all eternity? i am sure they would enjoy the free alchol (wahtever it may be) though... they already skank enough pizza off me as it is :grind:

Chris
25-11-2003, 15:43
Never made it but I would surmise that you need to press apples for their juice then add sugar and yeast and then wait a while. The partly finished (by now alcoholic mixture) is then probably filtered into bottles and allowed to undergo it's secondary fermentation. Anyone know any better than that?:confused:Before secondary fermentation, you need make sure the first stage is completely finished - specific gravity should drop to 1.003 or lower, demonstrating that the sugar is virtually exhausted.

You syphon into bottles, taking care to avoid the sediment in the fermentation vessel but not filtering the liquid, because you need some yeast in the mix for the secondary fermentation!

Once the bottles are full, you need 1tsp of sugar per pint in each bottle to allow secondary fermentation to progress. Be very careful at this stage - too little and the cider will be flat, too much and it may explode. There is no advantage in using too much sugar at this stage, the real alcohol production takes place at the first fermentation.

Keep the bottles warm for a couple of weeks, then put them somewhere nice and cold - as soon as they're chilled, they're ready. :beer:

Chris
25-11-2003, 15:50
there's that 20-odd percent stuff safeway have only just brought out isnt there?? the ones that the rednecks make in the back of their shed or something, i forget its name...

anyway, does anyone think i should delve into the world of home brewing, or do you think my flatmates wouldnt appreciate alchol fumes around the flat for all eternity? i am sure they would enjoy the free alchol (wahtever it may be) though... they already skank enough pizza off me as it is :grind:
Yeah, go for it ... it can't be any worse than our house. Mrs Towny used to host a weekly prayer meeting in our front room, with demijohn bubbling sound effects in the background. As some of our Christian friends are TT, you can imagine the shock on their faces, praying in the lounge and listening to the devil's brew bubbling away in the kitchen. :D

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 15:51
Before secondary fermentation, you need make sure the first stage is completely finished - specific gravity should drop to 1.003 or lower, demonstrating that the sugar is virtually exhausted.

You syphon into bottles, taking care to avoid the sediment in the fermentation vessel but not filtering the liquid, because you need some yeast in the mix for the secondary fermentation!

Once the bottles are full, you need 1tsp of sugar per pint in each bottle to allow secondary fermentation to progress. Be very careful at this stage - too little and the cider will be flat, too much and it may explode. There is no advantage in using too much sugar at this stage, the real alcohol production takes place at the first fermentation.

Keep the bottles warm for a couple of weeks, then put them somewhere nice and cold - as soon as they're chilled, they're ready. :beer:Have you done this yourself?

Chris
25-11-2003, 15:56
Have you done this yourself?
I've been making beer on and off since I was about 16 ... only done cider the once tho', and if I do it again I won't make it nearly as strong - I like a drink but I don't like getting drunk!

At the moment the kit is unused and relegated to the garage, thanks to the highly curious crawling creature inhabiting our house. I nearly sold it all a couple of months ago, but Mrs Towny persuaded me I'd regret it. I think she's right, I can't wait to fill up the ol' pressure barrel again. :)

Dave Stones
25-11-2003, 15:58
Yeah, go for it ... it can't be any worse than our house. Mrs Towny used to host a weekly prayer meeting in our front room, with demijohn bubbling sound effects in the background. As some of our Christian friends are TT, you can imagine the shock on their faces, praying in the lounge and listening to the devil's brew bubbling away in the kitchen. :D

hexes all round was it? :D

Ramrod
25-11-2003, 15:58
I've been making beer on and off since I was about 16 ... only done cider the once tho', and if I do it again I won't make it nearly as strong - I like a drink but I don't like getting drunk!

At the moment the kit is unused and relegated to the garage, thanks to the highly curious crawling creature inhabiting our house. I nearly sold it all a couple of months ago, but Mrs Towny persuaded me I'd regret it. I think she's right, I can't wait to fill up the ol' pressure barrel again. :)Go for it! You know you want to!:D

Chris
25-11-2003, 16:02
hexes all round was it? :D
Nope, just a lot of pained/sympathetic glances in the missus' direction and prayers for our 'wellbeing', 'sanctification', 'that we would see the light' and so on .... ;) :D

.... and not a few requests to try out the finished article. :rofl:

[/tongueincheek]

Dave Stones
25-11-2003, 16:04
.... and not a few requests to try out the finished article. :rofl:

[/tongueincheek]

well, even the most dedicated people stray from time to time ;)

anyways time for work, i cant believe they have got me on the midnight shift yet again.

is it illegal for me to work 30hrs per week on top of my 20hrs of uni education? :shrug:

Chris
25-11-2003, 16:09
well, even the most dedicated people stray from time to time ;)

anyways time for work, i cant believe they have got me on the midnight shift yet again.

is it illegal for me to work 30hrs per week on top of my 20hrs of uni education? :shrug:
No, but I think 20 hours of lectures a week should be illegal. You're a student forgoodnessake, shouldn't you be down the union bar? (or brewing your own)

paulyoung666
25-11-2003, 17:15

it might not be the alcohol fumes they will be worrying about if you see what i mean :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cjmillsnun
25-11-2003, 18:38

P1$$ easy.

Can use apples, but you need absoulutely feckloads (About 10 apples per pint IIRC). Easiest is to by a kit. Then it is the same as making beer (just bung in large plastic bucket... add sugar and yeast, and wait for it to ferment.

edit - make sure the bucket is covered. With a kit a loose fitting lid WILL do, but if you use apples, you need a proper pressure vessel with an airlock.

Just waiting for my beer to clear atm, then I shall be :beer: :drunk: :drunk: :beer:

Theodoric
26-11-2003, 19:43
Cider is more akin to winemaking - you have to use a sealed fermentation vessel with an airlock, unlike beer which you can brew in a loosely covered plastic bucket.

You can use a demijohn for cider, but you can also get large plastic fermentation barrels that can be used with or without an airlock, so they can make wine, cider or beer.

If you make your cider from pressed apple juice, you will need a hydrometer in order to check the amount of natural sugar in the liquid before you add any of the granulated kind - consult the chart that comes with the hydrometer to see how much alcohol the initial specific gravity will yield, then carefully add more sugar until you reach the desired level.

If you're starting out, a can of concentrated juice with instructions on how much sugar to add is a good way to find your feet (or become increasingly unsteady on them, as the case may be :) )
I always understood that real cider should have a few twigs, a worm or two and, ideally, a dead rat in it whilst it was fermenting.

Ramrod
26-11-2003, 20:04
No, but I think 20 hours of lectures a week should be illegal. Ha! My course was 39 hours a week with coursework and revision on top. ...and I had a part time job.
(can you hear the violins yet?:D )

Still....a big consolation was that we were near the Ringwood brewery and usually had some of their finest in the uni:D

Ramrod
03-12-2003, 12:15
*update*
just bottled the beer this morning! :drool:

Chris
03-12-2003, 12:47
*update*
just bottled the beer this morning! :drool:
OK, we'll all pile round to your house in a couple of weeks when it's ready for drinking then :D

Ramrod
03-12-2003, 12:55
OK, we'll all pile round to your house in a couple of weeks when it's ready for drinking then :DI'll be sure to post a photo of the finished product! :angel: