PDA

View Full Version : USB Causing my PC to Crash?

Tarquin
11-03-2006, 03:18
Hi, i have had my new PC for two weeks today, my PC is connected to the internet via USB, but before last Friday it was connected via Ethernet and was changed to USB so that we could use the internet on the Laptop as well.

Anyway, last Saturday our PC crashed...3 times. Yesterday it crashed...3 times. Today it has crashed once. I have done a complete reinstall of the PC and it crashed again a few minutes ago. I managed to get the error written down, and got this

Page_fault_in_non_paged_area

Tech Info:

*** STOP: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xf77b2181, 0xf292857c, 0x0000000)

*** AEIB.SYS - Address - F77B2181 base at F77B1000 Datestamp 39b45d83

Now, i may have got a couple of things wrong as i had to copy it down quick before the PC restarted itself. But when i was connecting the PC to the internet again today, i notice that one of the drivers for the USB is called AEILAB.SYS. As im not really clued up on the technical side of PCs, i was wondering if this means it is to do with the USB for the internet?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks for your help

zing_deleted
11-03-2006, 03:26
:welcome: to the forum. Ok firstly you do not need drivers for usb if you use xp they come in the operating system.
secondly the error message will be either a driver problem faulty memory or in worst case senario (not likely cpu)
ok for the first instance enter safe mode and remove usb drivers.
Check your temperatures make sure there not high
Test machine and if it does not crash then it was a driver issue.
If no joy run memtest 86 http://www.memtest86.com/ you will need to burn a cd image and boot from this.If it fails the tests try 1 stick on its own to test each stick of ram.
If it passes this does not mean the ram is good however try with 1 stick at a time and test to see if theres a problem
What ram have you got a full componant list may help
If all ram is tested but still crashes test the cpu prime95 will do this and will tell you straight away if theres a cpu fault http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

bopdude
11-03-2006, 04:10
Don't forget Zing, the pc is new and under warrenty, opening up and fidling about may be like falling off a bike to some, but it will invallidate any comebacks / warrenties ..... :2cents:

Tarquin
11-03-2006, 11:15
What ive done is just deleted the AEILAB.SYS file from the computer. As you can see the internet is still working ok without it, so i will see if that was truly the problem.

zing_deleted
11-03-2006, 12:46
Don't forget Zing, the pc is new and under warrenty, opening up and fidling about may be like falling off a bike to some, but it will invallidate any comebacks / warrenties ..... :2cents:

Good point dude :)