PDA

View Full Version : Can I get NTL?

orighepcat
10-03-2006, 16:40
Sounds like a simple question, but it's driving me crazy.

My postcode does not work on the internet checker, problem is, it doesn't work on ANY online forms off any site. Something I need to sort with the post office I guess.

The road I live on has an NTL line running down it, there is a green box a few meters away. I have a small office block on one side and a cafe uno on the other. The cafe uno have and use an NTL connection, no idea about the office (I'd guess they use a buisness ISP).

I have spoken to sales people on the telephone 5 times over the last week now, most recently a few minutes ago. I get a different answer each time. I have been transferred to a manchester call center after being told it is available, I have been told its available, I have been told it is not available. My house does not show up on their system (I'm assuming this is the problem). I am worried that I am getting the answer NO because of this, not because the wire can't be run.

As everyone knows it is impossible to speak to someone that would actually look into this without spending months of ringing back with your fingers crossed. I thought I would post here and see if anyone has any ideas as to what I should or can do.

Rather frustrated as I was gearing myself up for cable broadband and tv after the first phonecall that confirmed I could get it (I told them I would phone back later after choosing a package) - hope the post makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Sam

SLM
10-03-2006, 17:14
:welcome: to the site btw

I would start by contacting the royal mail as they are the ones that send your post code to all who require them.

Also if you decide on the package then ring up sales and request a site visit to confirm if you can get cable (sounds like you can)

Graham M
10-03-2006, 17:40
What is your postcode out of interest, just so I can have a go?

MovedGoalPosts
10-03-2006, 17:43
What is your postcode out of interest, just so I can have a go?

No offence, but it might not be sensible for the OP to respond to that, internet security and stuff being what it is.

Graham M
10-03-2006, 17:44
He could PM it if he wants to, I'm just curious as to what makes his Postcode different from anyone elses. A Postcode only Narrows a person down to a general area anyways.

MovedGoalPosts
10-03-2006, 17:47
You need to call sales. If they say it isn't servicable, you need to ask them if they will get construction to send someone to confirm since you can see the green boxes and know your neighbours are serviceable.

Meanwhile contact Royal Mail and get them to interrogate and update their databases to confirm you exist. Ask them how your post gets to you if you aren't actually listed?

orighepcat
11-03-2006, 11:20
Thank you very much for your quick replies.

I am going to contact royal mail to get the postcode sorted in a moment.

I forgot to mention a very important (possibly) fact in my original post. I live in a converted house, with a few flats in it. I had phoned sales a few times, I was told by one of the CS staff that ntl doesn't serve blocks of flats. I think I ignored this answer assuming he was wrong.

Sounds very interesting being able to ask for a site visit, I'll sort this mess out with the post office first, then try to convince someone in CS/sales to ignore what his system is saying and to send someone round.

Thanks again

Sam

Pinkypants
11-03-2006, 19:13
I live in a flat above some shops and there are 4 internal flats. NTL rewired all the flats up and installed DPs in our flat so I don't think thats true though I can't confirm it. I deal with accounts for people in flats and if what they say is true, half of NTL's customer base in London would be wiped out :P

orighepcat
12-03-2006, 23:55
Thanks for you info again, I'll mention that if they question me being in a flat. I will be pushing for a site visit though (the least they could do after years of multiple telephones,broadband,tv and our buisness account that I set up).

Just waiting on the royal mail to issue me a postcode (hopefully tomorrow). Seems like the flats have had a postman with common sense, as theyve all been riding on the back of the local restaurants postcode for christ knows how long.

Thanks

Sam

MovedGoalPosts
13-03-2006, 00:25
Ah flats can present a problem. It's all about easements or wayeaves (legal rights) that enable ntl to run their cables over land or parts of property (inculding common parts and exteriors of buildings) that you as a leaseholder don't directly control or own yourself. Simply put if you are not directly responsible for maintaining something, then you are not able to grant ntl the rights to run their cables through that part of a property :(

orighepcat
17-05-2006, 21:14
That can't be true can it?

There must be millions of houses that this applies to, which is exactly why way leave consent exists. All you have to do is ask the owner/leaseholder/whatever for permission to do these things. It's the same for anything on the building; putting a tv aerial up, changing the windows, painting a door etc. There is no difference, that's an incredibly massive potential userbase they're missing out on for such a silly excuse heh :)

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Thought I better let everyone know how I got round it too...

NTL buisness don't mind installing to a flat (or buiness address I claimed - not mentioning that word), got the engineers booked - already better than residential NTL, they claimed I was not in a cabled area, my house didn't exist, all sorts of excuses, it's as if they didn't want my custom.

I eventually got the consent off the leaseholder and faxed it over. Engineers came round and finished the job.

Just typed out what I did, but thought it was a bit too cheeky to post. Basically I got the 99 quid install refunded, switched to 10mbit residential and a few months free thrown in.

Would have been nice to have avoided the hassle, but any savvy consumers know what it's like dealing with certain (most) companies. NTL still owe me for 2 years worth of CS phonecalls (they paid the bills mind) from a previous account, so guilt is out of the question. Having another account that the retentions department are desperate to keep also helped (I think).

edit: sorry about the nonsensical babble