PDA

View Full Version : Stomach problems

Cawker
09-03-2006, 12:21
My stomach is hurting and it is rumbling alot. The pain is sorta dull and I have felt sick a few times.

Any advice on what to do?

I have work this evening in a Bar later working with food and customers.

bopdude
09-03-2006, 12:25
My stomach is hurting and it is rumbling alot. The pain is sorta dull and I have felt sick a few times.

Any advice on what to do?

I have work this evening in a Bar later working with food and customers.

By the looks of that sentence I would say you know yourself...... ring in sick, chances are whatever you've got might be spread to J.Public, go see the Dr.

Cawker
09-03-2006, 12:27
By the looks of that sentence I would say you know yourself...... ring in sick, chances are whatever you've got might be spread to J.Public, go see the Dr.

I am worried about losing my job. I have only been there 3 weeks and rang in sick the other week due to a migraine. Plus my shift stars in 5 hours

Russ
09-03-2006, 12:28
Get some Rennie or similar down you? You might a quick dose of the brads but it might clear up the stomach trouble.

Nugget
09-03-2006, 12:29
I am worried about losing my job. I have only been there 3 weeks and rang in sick the other week due to a migraine. Plus my shift stars in 5 hours

Yeah, but if it's food poisoning (not saying that it is, but you never know), you could always explain to your boss that it's better for you to be off for a couple of days while you get it out of your system, than to have his business shut down by Environmental Health because it's the source of an E. coli outbreak (or whatever)...

bopdude
09-03-2006, 12:30

Well the choice is yours, 2 days on the sick in 3 weeks isn't going to look good but what are the alternatives, ??? see if you can get in now to see the Doc, failing that ring in work now and let them know whats going on and how your feeling, surely they can arrange cover ??

Cawker
09-03-2006, 12:31
Now this is where i need a favour. My Telewest line is down. I have no credit or money till payday.

Can anyone help please?

bopdude
09-03-2006, 12:32
Now this is where i need a favour. My Telewest line is down. I have no credit or money till payday.

Can anyone help please?

:wtf: what are you after, for one of us to ring work for you.....your kidding, right ???

Russ
09-03-2006, 12:32
Why stop there? Perhaps one of us could do your shift for you....

Cawker
09-03-2006, 12:34
Well I have no other way of letting them know.

Sorry for asking :(

bopdude
09-03-2006, 12:34

Now now Russ, first rule and all that, never volunteer......even for a cf member, lol

Nugget
09-03-2006, 12:35

I wouldn't mind, but I do change a consultants fee - 100 quid an hour 'cos I know you ;)

bopdude
09-03-2006, 12:35
Well I have no other way of letting them know.

Sorry for asking :(

So how would you have got to work tonight, car ????

Cawker
09-03-2006, 12:36
So how would you have got to work tonight, car ????

I normally walk

Orior
09-03-2006, 12:36
Could be a stress induced ulcer.

Take two rennie, and a big blonde lady to bed for a week.

Halcyon
09-03-2006, 12:37
lol

Take a paracetamol. (As long as you are not allergic to them). I had something similar and it was a 24 hour bug over in about a day or so.

homealone
09-03-2006, 12:38
what I would do is turn up at work, explain the situation & let the manager decide whether you should do your shift or send you home. That way you will have 'showed willing', but also demonstrates you are aware of the possible implications. ;)

bopdude
09-03-2006, 12:42
lol

Take a paracetamol. (As long as you are not allergic to them). I had something similar and it was a 24 hour bug over in about a day or so.

Really, you don't say :dozey: :rolleyes: :D

Ramrod
09-03-2006, 12:43
what I would do is turn up at work, explain the situation & let the manager decide whether you should do your shift or send you home. That way you will have 'showed willing', but also demonstrates you are aware of the possible implications. ;)Thats what I would do. The only possible problem with that plan is that if your boss sends youi home he/she has no time to arrange cover........

danielf
09-03-2006, 12:46
Thats what I would do. The only possible problem with that plan is that if your boss sends youi home he/she has no time to arrange cover........

So he would have to go down now (assuming the place is open), explain the situation, and return for his shift if the boss wants him to work.

bopdude
09-03-2006, 12:48
Thats what I would do. The only possible problem with that plan is that if your boss sends youi home he/she has no time to arrange cover........
So he would have to go down now (assuming the place is open), explain the situation, and return for his shift if the boss wants him to work.
Well the walk in both directions..possibley twice might cure him, or knock him flat, either way :tu: ;)

danielf
09-03-2006, 12:51
Well the walk in both directions..possibley twice might cure him, or knock him flat, either way :tu: ;)

True, but it would show determination and willingness to work if he will run the risk of having to walk twice and work.

Cawker
09-03-2006, 12:51
No appointments at doctors available.

Is it possible to go hospital instead without a appointment?

bopdude
09-03-2006, 12:52

Is it possible to go hospital instead without a appointment?

How do you know ???

as for the hospital, i wouldn't, your not really an emergency case, are you ???

Scrubbs
09-03-2006, 12:53
most doctors will see you if you are prepared to wait

Ramrod
09-03-2006, 12:55

Is it possible to go hospital instead without a appointment?It is but for what you appear to be suffering from it's probably not worth it.

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:01

But my works will not.

I need to see someone asap

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

It is but for what you appear to be suffering from it's probably not worth it.

It is trust me. Just nearly been sick again. And feel dizzy

bopdude
09-03-2006, 13:02
But my works will not.

I need to see someone asap

You'll still have to wait even if you go to the hospital, how are you getting to all these places, finding out your Dr's have no appointments ? are they next door ? coz that was a bloody quick walk otherwise.

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:03
You'll still have to wait even if you go to the hospital, how are you getting to all these places, finding out your Dr's have no appointments ? are they next door ? coz that was a bloody quick walk otherwise.

I used a neighbours phone

Tuftus
09-03-2006, 13:03
Does your doctor not have an open access clinic?

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:04

Hospital is about a 15 minute walk away

Ramrod
09-03-2006, 13:05
It is trust me. Just nearly been sick again. And feel dizzyIn that case emphasise your condition to the Dr's receptionist a little more elequently perhaps?

ScaredWebWarrior
09-03-2006, 13:06
I used a neighbours phoneSo get the neighbour to call work for you - problem solved. Why did you even ask on here?

bopdude
I used a neighbours phone
So you can use a neighbours phone to phone the quacks but not to ring work, I'll tell you what I think, i think your a waster who can't face making a phone call to their employer to scive coz their sooooo sick, and on that note, I'll stop adding to this nonsence thread.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ramrod
Have you eaten something horrible?
...and how old are you?

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:08
<removed>

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

Have you eaten something horrible?
...and how old are you?
Just food and 25

Nugget
09-03-2006, 13:10
Just food and 25

What food specifically, as some are more likely to make you ill than others (again, if that's the problem).

jtwn
09-03-2006, 13:11
Sounds like you've got bird flu.

Go to a phone box and reverse charge work, that is unless work is closer than one.

I don't think cable forum substitutes for professional advice. Whilst they are just reading from what you can read, they can see you in person.

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:12
What food specifically, as some are more likely to make you ill than others (again, if that's the problem).

In the past 24 hours i have had

Pepper lamb steaks and chips
Pizza
Ready brek

Nugget
09-03-2006, 13:13
In the past 24 hours i have had

Pepper lamb steaks and chips
Pizza
Ready brek

Stupid question, but are you sure that everything was cooked correctly?

Tuftus
09-03-2006, 13:13
My money is on the pizza...

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:15
Stupid question, but are you sure that everything was cooked correctly?

As far as I know it was.

But I never cooked it.

danielf
09-03-2006, 13:15
My money is on the pizza...

I'm with Bop on this...

Tuftus
09-03-2006, 13:16
I anyone else that also ate the same food suffering in any way?

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:17
Well no because my pizza was different to everyone elses and no one esle likes Peppered steaks. So I had different

Nugget
09-03-2006, 13:17
Oh, and if it is food poisoning, it wouldn't necessarily be something from the last 24 hours :shrug:

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:21
Oh, and if it is food poisoning, it wouldn't necessarily be something from the last 24 hours :shrug:

Well I cant recal what i had in the past week but basically its this

Pork scratchings
Pizza
Peppered pork steaks
Sausages
Potatos
Chips
Crisps
Grean beans
Cauliflour
Brocoli

Tuftus
09-03-2006, 13:22
Did you have the sausages in the last 36 hours?

Nugget
09-03-2006, 13:22
Well I cant recal what i had in the past week but basically its this

Pork scratchings
Pizza
Peppered pork steaks
Sausages
Potatos
Chips
Crisps
Grean beans
Cauliflour
Brocoli

Ah well, in my humble experience, it's probably the pig lumps that did it - enough to make anybody sick :sick:

Cawker
09-03-2006, 13:23
Did you have the sausages in the last 36 hours?

Tuesday about 12pm i had them

Nugget
09-03-2006, 13:34
Tuesday about 12pm i had them

Put it this way - the onset time for listeria can be up to 90 days (although I doubt you have listeria :) ).

Most food poisoning has an onset time of 12 - 36 hours, which means that it could be something that you ate on Tuesday. Having said that, I'm no doctor so I would suggest getting yourself to the quacks as he'll be able to perform tests if required.

Stuart
09-03-2006, 13:37
Have you tried Pepto bismol? http://www.pepto-bismol.com/

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Having said that, if symptoms persist. go to your gp.

LSainsbury
09-03-2006, 14:35
What pizza was it? Wasn't a Dominos was it??

Cawker
09-03-2006, 15:27
No it was from Iceland

Been quacks they said i need to rest for a few days and to ring work when the sickness passes

Nugget
09-03-2006, 15:39
No it was from Iceland

Been quacks they said i need to rest for a few days and to ring work when the sickness passes

Obviously I don't know who you work for, but I wouldn't be surprised that, if your employer suspects food poisoning, you'll have to provide a stool sample for analysis before you're allowed back to work. If you're a food handler, I'd suggest that it would be very risky for them to allow you back without any checks.

Has your doctor signed you off, or are you going to self-cert, bearing in mind you don't actually know how long this is going to last.

Cawker
09-03-2006, 15:41
I got told self cert for now and it should not last longer then a week

Salu
09-03-2006, 16:45
Cawker

How quickly did the symptoms come on? Have you had any diarrhoea yet or bowel gripes?

Incidentally most tummy bugs come not from food poisoning but from just ingesting stray bacteria/virii. Not cleaning your kitchen enough is the usual suspect.

If you feel rotten with it then take paracetamol not aspirin or ibuprofen as they can irritate your stomach which is already irritated. The "rotten" effect is due to being too hot. The paracetamol reduces your core temperature which makes you feel better.

If you are not feeling like eating (anorexia; different to anorexia nervosa btw) then follow your body's lead. Sip water often and just ride it out.

It could be other things but it's most likely to be a gastroenteritis type of thing. Look out for specific areas of tenderness/pain in your abdomen if you must be paranoid....;)

Let us know if things change....

TheBlueRaja
09-03-2006, 17:07
I had this on Monday night, spent the evening, sorry night, hugging the toilet and i wont go into the details but not knowing which end its coming out of next is not a nice feeling. I was away from home in a hotel all by myself in a place where i didnt know how to get medical help either (yeah - it was that bad i would have got a doc if i could have)

It started as you described and then got really bad for about 6 or 7 hours before quietning down enough that i got a few hours sleep. After that its a few days to recover and im only now tonight really feeling like eating again, everything over the last day has been forced down. I've had a sandwitch and a roll in the last two days.

Salu - one thing here, one minute i was roasting the next freezing or my body would be cooking but my feet would be freezing - WTF is that about? Paracetamol - would it have helped?

LSainsbury
09-03-2006, 17:13
No it was from Iceland

....thats a long way for the moped rider......

....sorry! :rolleyes:

Hope you're feeling better mate!! :tu:

Tuftus
09-03-2006, 20:41
Lets hope it is not Champylobachter (sp) my father has just had that, 2 weeks off work so far and he still is not strong enough to leave the house...

That was from Tesco Turkey butties.... (Allegedly).

Salu
09-03-2006, 21:08
Salu - one thing here, one minute i was roasting the next freezing or my body would be cooking but my feet would be freezing - WTF is that about? Paracetamol - would it have helped?

That's your body trying to regulate its temperature to fight off the infection; fever basically. Paracetamol would normally help during this, yes.

Chris W
09-03-2006, 21:18
It could be stress related...

got anything stressful going on in your personal life at the moment? eg seperation/ child custody battles/ court appearances etc etc?

LSainsbury
09-03-2006, 21:20
Lets hope it is not Champylobachter (sp) my father has just had that, 2 weeks off work so far and he still is not strong enough to leave the house...

That was from Tesco Turkey butties.... (Allegedly).

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/03/22.jpg

Nasty little bugger.....looks like he's enjoying a piece or lettuce. :Yikes:

Tuftus
09-03-2006, 22:49
http://www.microscopyconsulting.com/Gallery/images/Campylobacter%20coli.jpg

Nasty little bugger.....looks like he's enjoying a piece or lettuce. :Yikes:

Yes, that looks way more pleasant that what my mum described... use your imagination... :D

homealone
09-03-2006, 22:51
Like nugget said earlier, the cause/effect cycle for food 'poisoning' can vary a lot, timewise.

There are two basic ways to get food poisoning

1. Eating food contaminated with nasty bacteria/viruses which multiply in your body & cause the symptoms, sometimes this can take ages to happen.

2.Or, eating food that the bacteria have been growing in & making toxins, this type is more likely to produce a quick reaction, within 24 hours, or sooner.

Type 1 can usually be avoided by cooking food properly & eating it still hot.

Type 2 can usually be avoided by storing food at the correct temperature, so the bacteria tend not to grow.

Note that cooking will not always get rid of toxins produced in already contaminated food, staphylococcus toxins are particularly heat stable, for example.

Campylobacter is an infective (type 1) organism that may take up to 5 days to show symptoms after eating contaminated food. It is probably the most common cause of food poisoning, more than salmonella, or e.coli :)

http://www.amm.co.uk/newamm/files/factsabout/fa_campy.htm

:)

Salu
10-03-2006, 16:12
How are you feeling Cawker?

Chris W
11-03-2006, 18:32
How are you feeling Cawker?

Like he has been caught i would imagine...

reregistering after being banned... tut tut!

Xaccers
11-03-2006, 19:09
Like he has been caught i would imagine...

reregistering after being banned... tut tut!

Oh dear, so who was he?

JohnHorb
11-03-2006, 19:22
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=703567&postcount=11

Xaccers
11-03-2006, 19:48
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=703567&postcount=11

Ahhh, Emo kid!

Shaun
11-03-2006, 20:04
You'd think they'd get the hint they aren't wanted. :rolleyes:

Like Bob said, he's a waster!

bopdude
12-03-2006, 05:15
You'd think they'd get the hint they aren't wanted. :rolleyes:

Like Bob said, he's a waster!

You would, wouldn't you Shane :rolleyes: :D

Shaun
12-03-2006, 22:43
You would, wouldn't you Shane :rolleyes: :D

Sorry Rob ;) - It's that scary avatar, well that's my excuse.