PDA

View Full Version : Problem with gaming, big spikes

Parrot of Doom
08-03-2006, 22:28
Hi there

I've been playing numerous online games for years, never had any problems with my ping or lag of any description.

Today, while trying to play, I've been getting some fairly annoying lag spikes, which is making the game unplayable. I did a screencap, which you can see here:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/03/23.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/83618918@N00/109785035/)

Now, three things could have precipitated this problem in my opinion:

1) NTL UK are doing some fiddling, and their service is still broken. I had all kinds of problems yesterday with internet access, and I can see from a related thread that I wasn't the only one.

2) I have installed Firefox. Can't see that being a problem though.

3) I have updated Zonealarm pro 4.5 to Zonealarm pro 6.1. I can't see this being a problem either (since removed it and installed the free basic version, latest update)

The chief suspect is NTL - can you guys help me, perhaps suggest some way I can confirm this? Is there a site or programme that can test for these kinds of things? Download speeds appear to be ok, I've tried a few big files from various places and they all max out at 2MB.

Are any other gamers experiencing these problems? I live in SW Manchester. I'm connected through a settop box on the 2Meg service, its a Samsung silver box IIRC. Internet and email are fine at the time of posting.

hammered
09-03-2006, 10:00
Just do a search for on-line gaming...

You'll see that we're all having the same problems... :(

Chrysalis
09-03-2006, 16:11
because its only recently happened I would wait a week or so and see if it goes away, it could be a fault or some maintenance still ongoing. If not then you have to troubleshoot and downgrade zonealarm again just to rule it out, you will only look an idiot if it does turn out to be zonealarm, once you have ruled that out then join the queue of people waiting for a ubr upgrade :(.

sollp
09-03-2006, 17:46
Ok,

1:where exactly is the problem within the NTL network.

2: What are you using to prove this.

3: What server, where is the server situated.

4: Whats the Specs of your Pc.

Parrot of Doom
09-03-2006, 20:10
Postcode is M41

I have removed Zonealarm completely, and the problem has gone. Now just on windows firewall, although I intend to use something a bit better.

Version 4.5 worked perfectly well, it was only when I upgraded to 6.x that the problems started.

Thanks for the help :)

Chrysalis
10-03-2006, 21:33
good stuff :)

monkey2468
10-03-2006, 22:41
Postcode is M41

I have removed Zonealarm completely, and the problem has gone. Now just on windows firewall, although I intend to use something a bit better.

Version 4.5 worked perfectly well, it was only when I upgraded to 6.x that the problems started.

Thanks for the help :)

I would try reinstalling it again, just to see if it is definitely zone alarm upgrade causing the spikes.