PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem Upgrade (change of MAC address)

slimboyfat
07-03-2006, 23:23
Hi All!

Hoping somebody will be able to provide some reasonable answer before I go bash my head against the wall again whilst trying to get a straight answer from NTL customer service...

I currently have a Terayon TJ210 modem and I'm on the 10Mb service. My download speed never gets above about 560k/s :(

A friend of mine has the new 250 modem and he's regularly getting over 1100k/s download speeds.

Having spoken to NTL support they said that I would need to upgrade my modem and it would cost £50 which I think is a bit much to ask, but hey ho.

However, my friend has now moved and given me his 250 cable modem (NTL told him to do what he wanted with the modem since they didn't want it back) - so (hopefully) saving me the £50.

Now, I understand that I cannot connect this thing straight in as a replacement for mine due to the MAC address being different. Somehow I need to register the new MAC address with NTL. Unfortunately, having tried customer services (and gone through the usual turn it off, power lights on etc) I got nowhere :(

Does anybody have any ideas on how/who to approach on this? Do I just keep bashing cust services in the hope I get someone who understands?

Thanks in advance!

Mick Fisher
08-03-2006, 00:14
The Terajet is good for 8meg so I don't think your problem is modem related unless it is broken, although that usually means zero connectivity at worst or frequent disconnects at best.

At the moment it seems the only way to get a new modem is to pay Ntl £50.00 for it or get on to Retentions and threaten to cancel because you haven't got the latest 250 in the hope that Ntl will value you as a customer highly enough to waive the rediculous charge.

Good luck.

Stuart
08-03-2006, 00:52
slimboyfat, :welcome: to the forum.

I doubt that NTL will register this modem to you, as they do insist that all new modems are installed by engineers. They do this for various reason, including the fact that if you connect the modem incorrectly, you may cause interference (and thus, performance loss) on your connection, or those of your neighbours.

slimboyfat
08-03-2006, 08:37
Well, was worth a try I guess. Looks like I'll have to fork out the 50 quid and get them to come and save the day - I hope!

Thanks guys!

Phil Capron
08-03-2006, 17:53
About 3 months ago I phoned tech. support and told them that I had a 250 that I'd like use to replace an sb4100.The different mac address was registered and literally within 5 mins. the 250 was up and running.Maybe I was lucky but no problems for me in this particular case.HTH.

PS1
08-03-2006, 22:16
Well, was worth a try I guess. Looks like I'll have to fork out the 50 quid and get them to come and save the day - I hope!

Thanks guys!

You could cancel your account ,then sign back up as a new customer the next day and have a new modem(free of charge) installed?:p: