PDA

View Full Version : My NTL 'moving house' HELL

theBluePlanet
07-03-2006, 12:55
Hi All,

This is just a warning to all who are on NTL and are planning to move house/flat. Please don't ever take NTL as they are simply petty thieves.

I had subscribed to NTL's landline and 1Mb broadband at postcode CF24 4NF. When I rang them up to make the connection (from April 2005 onwards) - for months together they kept on telling me that they don't service that postcode and therefore cannot provide me the service. I almost took a BT connection until one fine day I was put through to somebody who said that they do service that area (wtf) and arranged for the engineers to come and install the above services in July 2005. All was well until I moved to post code CF24 4JU this March.

The same game has now started where they keep on telling me that they cannot transfer the services to my new address (post code CF24 4JU) any more and that I have to cancell my services and pay the remainder of my contract ! I have given up hope after more than 10 calls to their customer service.

What is agonising is that I can clearly see a fcuking NTL telephone and cable box in my flat - which the customer service people cannot comprehend for some reason. I have also told them that there is a CableTel point on the street in front of my house. But they are very adamant and simply want the remainder of the contract money. They simply keep on harping the same line like a bloody parrot.

The scam is that they keep telling me that their **** worth's online system shows that the post code CF24 4JU is not serviceable. However, if anybody goes to their moving home website http://www.ntl.com/home/moving_house/ and enters the above postcode, the same online system shows that they have a cable in that area !!!

I think they are big time cheats and this is unbelievable at the low level at which NTL stoops to make money. And I thought that these things happen in corrupt countries.

I wonder if any body can help me with advice / suggestions.

Thanks,
Anand Sengupta.

Neil
07-03-2006, 13:12
Thieves? I don't think so.

Cheats? Nah.

Completely inept & totally lacking in customer service skills? You betcha.

You have just experienced what I would suspect is the thing that is complained about most by ntl customers.

It's the classic left hand/right hand scenario, made worse by some incompetant CS advisor on the end of the phone who just keeps repeating "Computer says nooooooo"

I've moved this into the Billing & Installation forum for you. :)

If you'd like to drop one of the CF Team your details, I'm sure we can get this resolved for you.

:welcome: to the site too.

theBluePlanet
07-03-2006, 13:20
I've moved this into the Billing & Installation forum for you. :)

If you'd like to drop one of the CF Team your details, I'm sure we can get this resolved for you.

:welcome: to the site too.

Sincere thanks to you Neil for your comments. How can I provide these details to the CF team ? Is that another forum for NTL sufferers from Cardiff ? It would be nice if they came to know of this problem and perhaps suggest some course of action.

Cheers & thanks again,
Anand.

iain_herts
07-03-2006, 13:41
hi theBluePlanet under neils reply there will be a button that says sendPM if u click that u can then send neil all the details.

iain

Neil
07-03-2006, 13:54
Sincere thanks to you Neil for your comments. How can I provide these details to the CF team ? Is that another forum for NTL sufferers from Cardiff ? It would be nice if they came to know of this problem and perhaps suggest some course of action.

Cheers & thanks again,
Anand.

You can send the details to me or anyone else you see with the blue logo under their name that says "Cable Forum Team" as we either own or run Cable Forum & as such have direct links into ntl to resolve issues like yours.

theBluePlanet
07-03-2006, 16:09
You can send the details to me or anyone else you see with the blue logo under their name that says "Cable Forum Team" as we either own or run Cable Forum & as such have direct links into ntl to resolve issues like yours.

I have sent my details to Neil. Thanks a lot guys.

Anand.

PS1
07-03-2006, 21:42
As you ve stated already,the street you are or have already moved to is definately,100% ,no doubt...Ntl enabled.Ive worked there myself!:tu:

theBluePlanet
08-03-2006, 12:03
As you ve stated already,the street you are or have already moved to is definately,100% ,no doubt...Ntl enabled.Ive worked there myself!:tu:

Thanks PS1 for your comment.

I made some more visual inspection of my building and the cable wiring. What I noticed is that there is black cable coming out of a run down NTL cable box at the base of the building, up along the wall into my flat. I believe that the previous owners did not use NTL - in any case I think the problem is easily solved by connecting the wires in the cable box.

If NTL refuses to do even this much to restore my services, it is really very unfortunate. I hope Neil's contact gets in touch with us and we can resolve this issue soon.

- Anand.

Graham M
08-03-2006, 12:53
Do you have an NTL wallplate on the inside of your flat?

Neil
08-03-2006, 14:38
I have had a PM from TheBluePlanet to say that ntl have made contact & an engineer has been arranged for this Friday. :)

theBluePlanet
13-03-2006, 13:17
I have had a PM from TheBluePlanet to say that ntl have made contact & an engineer has been arranged for this Friday. :)

I am happy to inform the forum that the engineers have installed NTL services on Saturday. I would like to thank the forum for the effort towards the same. :tu: :)

janey2b
20-04-2006, 15:38
Can someone please help me??? I have a 12 month contract in a rented house, now soon moving to my own property on an old residential street which is cabled the whole way along. My house is a semi and a new build and that's where the problem lies. My soon to be next door neighbour is also an ntl customer and wants to transfer his services to. Ntl have been out to the property, marked up the pavement to come and do the work and now today have refused point blank to do it!! Apparently they have no budget to do the work, my other next door (not attached) neighbour has ntl but they say they can't supply us. So I am 6 months into my contract, when I move they want to bill me for the next 6 months after assuring us that we could connect to where we are moving to. We have both been ntl customers for over 6 years yet this means nothing. I don't understand how they came out, surveyed the property, marked up the pavement then, sorry, but no can do. I work from hone and having to find another ISP and change my email address is not a viable option.

Any advice gladly appreciated as talking to customer services is like talking to a brick wall, all I got was the complaint address in Manchester! Great.

Neil
20-04-2006, 15:42
Can someone please help me??? I have a 12 month contract in a rented house, now soon moving to my own property on an old residential street which is cabled the whole way along. My house is a semi and a new build and that's where the problem lies. My soon to be next door neighbour is also an ntl customer and wants to transfer his services to. Ntl have been out to the property, marked up the pavement to come and do the work and now today have refused point blank to do it!! Apparently they have no budget to do the work, my other next door (not attached) neighbour has ntl but they say they can't supply us. So I am 6 months into my contract, when I move they want to bill me for the next 6 months after assuring us that we could connect to where we are moving to. We have both been ntl customers for over 6 years yet this means nothing. I don't understand how they came out, surveyed the property, marked up the pavement then, sorry, but no can do. I work from hone and having to find another ISP and change my email address is not a viable option.

Any advice gladly appreciated as talking to customer services is like talking to a brick wall, all I got was the complaint address in Manchester! Great.

1) :welcome: to the site. :)

2) If ntl can't/don't/won't service your new address, then there is not much you can do except give then 30 days notice to terminate your contract.

They will not charge you the remaining 6 months if you are moving to a non cabled property/area.

Chris
20-04-2006, 15:44

2) If ntl can't/don't/won't service your new address then there is not much you can do excpet give then 30 days notice to terminate your contract. They will not charge you the remaining 6 months if you are moving to a non cabled property/area.

I thought I heard recently that they have started trying to charge people the remainder of their initial contract even if they are moving off-net?

janey2b
20-04-2006, 15:47

2) If ntl can't/don't/won't service your new address then there is not much you can do exceet give then 30 days notice to terminate your contract.

They will not charge you the remaining 6 months if you are moving to a non cabled property/area.

But I am moving to a cabled area, next door is, the whole street is, they just won't come and do my house even after initially coming out and OKying it.

Neil
20-04-2006, 17:05
But I am moving to a cabled area, next door is, the whole street is, they just won't come and do my house even after initially coming out and OKying it.

So you are moving to a house that has no ntl service in it yes?

Give them 30 days notice & get another ISP-simple really. :)

Chris
20-04-2006, 17:23
So you are moving to a house that has no ntl service in it yes?

Give them 30 days notice & get another ISP-simple really. :)

Neil, they are telling the OP that they are going to charge (her?) the remaining six months. Telling her to just give 30 days notice and then get another ISP isn't very reassuring. What proof do we have that NTL do not in fact attempt to collect on the money? What proof does the OP need that NTL won't cable her house even though it's in an on-net street? There are quite a few pitfalls here, I can see why she's looking for some reassurance.

Neil
20-04-2006, 17:36
Neil, they are telling the OP that they are going to charge (her?) the remaining six months. Telling her to just give 30 days notice and then get another ISP isn't very reassuring. What proof do we have that NTL do not in fact attempt to collect on the money? What proof does the OP need that NTL won't cable her house even though it's in an on-net street? There are quite a few pitfalls here, I can see why she's looking for some reassurance.

But it's ntl that have told the OP that there is no service at the new address.

Also-as I said originally, ntl do not charge for the remainder of the contract if you are moving to a non serviceable area/address.

So all the OP needs to do is write to ntl & give them 30 days notice explaining that there is no way (having already checked with ntl) to transfer the services to the new address, so therefore please cancel the remaining 6 months.

Chris
20-04-2006, 17:43
But it's ntl that have told the OP that there is no service at the new address.

Also-as I said originally, ntl do not charge for the remainder of the contract if you are moving to a non serviceable area/address.

So all the OP needs to do is write to ntl & give them 30 days notice explaining that there is no way (having already checked with ntl) to transfer the services to the new address, so therefore please cancel the remaining 6 months.

Indeed ... but I know I read on here somewhere, some time in the last few weeks, that NTL has begun trying to collect on cancelled contracts even when the subscriber is moving off-net. I've not been able to find the thread yet but I'm convinced it's there. And NTL do look like they are trying to do this here.

Personally I think any customer they tried to do this to would have a strong argument that it is an unfair penalty. But before we get to that - does anyone else remember hearing this or am I going mad?

Derek
20-04-2006, 18:21
They have tried to enforce it many times before.

Given the amount of money they are using to combat TalkTalk I'd think this is one easy way to help with the shortfall.

If they are finally getting their act in gear regarding sending out and getting back signed contracts it clearly states the contract terms on the T&C's.

PS1
20-04-2006, 18:27
Iam 100% certain i have read this too(ntl wanting full payment),not that its anygood mind you,i cant find it either?:Yikes:

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

They were saying something along the lines of,it was the customer that was breaking the T&C by moving to an unserviceable area and therefor they still wanted the full (as agreed)12months subscription?

janey2b
20-04-2006, 18:56
Iam 100% certain i have read this too(ntl wanting full payment),not that its anygood mind you,i cant find it either?:Yikes:

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

They were saying something along the lines of,it was the customer that was breaking the T&C by moving to an unserviceable area and therefor they still wanted the full (as agreed)12months subscription?

Thank you all for this. The customer services man said to me today that I would have to pay the remaining 6 months and if I didn't it would go to a debt collecting agency. My point also is that NTL came out and said they would do the work and marked up the pavement and everything. I could not get the customer services man to even look into why not he just point blank refused to say they would install and I would have to pay as it's not their fault I am moving to a non cabled house.

PS1
21-04-2006, 07:39
If the worst comes to the worst and there is no way out of paying up,then i can recomend a very good and efficient hit man.He may even do discounts for corporate killings.
lets see who has the last laugh then is it!:D

Neil
21-04-2006, 08:13
Indeed ... but I know I read on here somewhere, some time in the last few weeks, that NTL has begun trying to collect on cancelled contracts even when the subscriber is moving off-net. I've not been able to find the thread yet but I'm convinced it's there. And NTL do look like they are trying to do this here.

Personally I think any customer they tried to do this to would have a strong argument that it is an unfair penalty. But before we get to that - does anyone else remember hearing this or am I going mad?

I think it's Telewest that actively enforce it, I think they even have something in their Ts & Cs about it.

janey2b
21-04-2006, 08:47
You know the stupid thing is I don't want to get out of my contract, I want them to come and install it as I have never had any bother before. If it's installed up and down the street and next door, why don't they come and put in a box for me and my neighbour. We even offered to split the cost if NTL said they hadn't the budget, but no chance. This means severe disruption for me.

orangebird
21-04-2006, 09:29
I think it's Telewest that actively enforce it, I think they even have something in their Ts & Cs about it.

No, ntl started enforcing this from January 2005....

---------- Post added at 08:29 ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 ----------

You know the stupid thing is I don't want to get out of my contract, I want them to come and install it as I have never had any bother before. If it's installed up and down the street and next door, why don't they come and put in a box for me and my neighbour. We even offered to split the cost if NTL said they hadn't the budget, but no chance. This means severe disruption for me.

Janey, ring up and demand a survey. Someone spinning you a bit of a line I think....

Chris
21-04-2006, 11:12
Janey, ring up and demand a survey. Someone spinning you a bit of a line I think....

And if that doesn't work, phone Watchdog. NTL refusing to run a cable up your garden and then demanding your money anyway is downright insane. Watchdog loves stories like that, and they're no big fans of NTL either.

Neil
21-04-2006, 11:37
No, ntl started enforcing this from January 2005....

They did?

I can't see anything in the Ts & Cs: http://www.home.ntl.com/page/termsresidential

20. Cancellation Rights

You may cancel the Services without penalty in the following circumstances:-

if we increase our Charges you may cancel those Services in respect of which the Charges have increased by giving us one month's notice in writing within 30 days of the earlier of:

(a) such price increase being notified to you under Condition 6.2; or

(b) the date of your first bill following such price increase, irrespective of whether the minimum period in respect of those Services has expired. If you cancel Services under this Condition, the increased Charges relating to those Services will not apply to you;

if we significantly reduce the content of the Services or make any significant change to the terms and conditions of this Agreement under Condition 26, you may terminate this Agreement by giving us one month's notice in writing within 30 days of such change irrespective of whether the minimum period in respect of such Services has expired.

:shrug:

Really??

Someone in ntl BS-ing a customer-how unusual (not)....

janey2b
21-04-2006, 15:22
Well, have just phoned up NTL and acted stupid and just asked for a transfer of my service. Guess what? they service that street so no problem. Said it was a new house and no pavement grate thingy outside but next door had one, she said no problem, one of those services up to 3 houses. Think I will just wait and see as they are coming out on 12th May. When they came out to my attached next door they ended up phoning a supervisor who came out and phoned an engineering supervisor who said OK then they decided no as they had 'no budget'. Let's see what they will say to me, then I will be back to the realms of fighting over my remaining 6 months, but I will ask for a survey to be done if they point blank refuse. :dozey:

orangebird
21-04-2006, 15:28
They did?

I can't see anything in the Ts & Cs: http://www.home.ntl.com/page/termsresidential

:shrug:

I was never in the t&c's Neil. It was a discretionary tool ntl use to use.

Really??

Someone in ntl BS-ing a customer-how unusual (not)....

Yawn.

Neil
21-04-2006, 15:41
I was never in the t&c's Neil. It was a discretionary tool ntl use to use.

So how can ntl (or any company for that matter) try to enforce something that is neither a term nor a condition?? :confused:

Yawn.

I quite agree-nothing more borning than current/ex employees trying to defend an ntl policy that doesn't actually exist.? :zzz:

orangebird
21-04-2006, 15:47
So how can ntl (or any company for that matter) try to enforce something that is neither a term nor a condition?? :confused:

It's covered by the fact that you sign a 12 month contract - that's in the t&cs. The fact that ntl would release customers early from a contract was purely a discretionary action on their part. One they are entitled to withdraw at any time.

I quite agree-nothing more borning than current/ex employees trying to defend an ntl policy that doesn't actually exist.? :zzz:

It wasn't a policy. FACT. I'm bored of the constant sniping and childish, sarcastic, pointless, well worn remarks, thats all. Not defending anything or anyone.

janey2b
21-04-2006, 15:51
Hey, can everyone chill??!!! It is Friday and all I want to do is transfer my service. If next door has one why can't I??!!!:cry:

homealone
21-04-2006, 16:07
Hey, can everyone chill??!!! It is Friday and all I want to do is transfer my service. If next door has one why can't I??!!!:cry:

ah, no worries, janey2b, on a Friday afternoon this passes as entertainment - roll on 5 o'clock ;)

- it may be helpful for you to know that Neil & Orangebird were friends before this site ever started, and both have strong views they are not backward in expressing, so, while it may look like they are falling out, it is just sparring, really :)

I do hope you get your connection, btw :tu:

Chris
21-04-2006, 16:20
Yep, they love each other really. Don't worry Janey - and well done for going back to NTL for another go! Let us know what happens next.

janey2b
21-04-2006, 16:38
Will do thx, fingers crossed and all that, or dog with a bone! ;)

janey2b
29-04-2006, 19:11
Well just to update you all, NTL have decided to install if me and my neighbour pay to do so. The charge? £180 split between us. Seems you can get what you want if you are prepared to pay. And this on a fully cabled street apart from our two houses. I think I maybe paying for their aquisition of Virgin Mobile! What do you think?!!! :confused:

nffc
30-04-2006, 01:03
"Computer says nooooooo"

I do have to dispute this logic though. If the system used to book, say a field visit, or a service to a certain address at a certain date or time, is not available (because it's fully booked, or no infrastructure, or no option to book it) - then yes the computer will say No.

No moaning at the operator, or managers / supervisors will get that resolved if the facility does not exist to begin with!

Obviously there are ways to say "computer says no" without letting on but at the end of the day if a facility is not available then how can it be offered?

So often it is expected to, rightly, see things from a customer's point of view. But when the customers fail to see the logistics/business point of view that is when they don't realise what is involved behind getting what they want, when they want. For example on base units we offer next working day onsite if it's all booked in before 10am (I don't work for NTL so it's not directly relevant) provided we have parts in stock and engineers available. The 10am deadline is so parts can be picked, jobs issued to engineers etc etc. Obviously there's only so far an engineer can cover in a day, only so many hours that legally he/she can work and despite the ideal spares cannot be held to demand for any PC. So two issues why the next day service isn't always available :erm: sometimes it's just offset by one day - but I have had to explain a week's delay which is a situation I'd consider pretty poor - imagine having to justify it. The reality is we cannot repair if we don't have a replacement for the faulty part and/or someone to fit it. Either could be a "no" but there is a reason behind it.

Obviously the ideal is to focus on what can be done but it's not always possible to satisfy the customers or what they want - nor are they always right.

If NTL do not have cabling in a certain area how can they install? Obviously then, they should be honest and upfront about it from the word go. But isn't that a "Computer says no" it can't be offered in that area situation?

At the end of the day, call centre staff rarely win.

Mr Angry
01-05-2006, 02:27
It's covered by the fact that you sign a 12 month contract - that's in the t&cs. The fact that ntl would release customers early from a contract was purely a discretionary action on their part. One they are entitled to withdraw at any time.

It wasn't a policy. FACT. I'm bored of the constant sniping and childish, sarcastic, pointless, well worn remarks, thats all. Not defending anything or anyone.

I'm sorry Orangebird, but I think you'll find there's nothing "discretionary" about it. A contract, whether by distance selling or otherwise, requires two parties - both of which are legally bound by same and will have legal obligations to fulfill.

NTL are bound by the Consumer Credit Act of '74 & '06 and are in no position to "withdraw (anything) at any time" in relation to existing contracts - unless they are prepared to have their license revoked / reviewed or have their rationale for doing so challenged in a court of law.

If your "it wasn't a policy" statement was a reference in any shape or form to their cancellation charges then you'll, no doubt, be surprised to learn that not only is / was it not "a policy" but further that it was illegal.

From Schedule II of 5(5) of the Unfair Terms in consumer Contracts:

It is illegal for any seller / supplier to:-

(e) requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation;

(f) authorising the seller or supplier to dissolve the contract on a discretionary basis where the same facility is not granted to the consumer, or permitting the seller or supplier to retain the sums paid for services not yet supplied by him where it is the seller or supplier himself who
dissolves the contract;

Neil
01-05-2006, 11:48
Thank you Mr Angry, I knew I was right. :tu:

I also know that ntl like to make the rules up as they go along-it's the kind of 'fly by night' attitude they display regularly.

janey2b
15-05-2006, 15:58
Just as a follow up regarding NTL installing on Friday just gone after parting with £190 with my neighbour for them to cable our properties. I rang NTL last Monday morning to double check they were still coming. 'Oh yes', I was told, they are certainly coming to install. Friday morning came and went, did an engineer appear? Er, no. So, on the phone again to customer services who said that 12th May was a 'provisional' booking!! I wasn't told this at all. He then went on to say that moving of installations should be completed within 10 days. 'So when did I first call to arrange then' I asked. Oh on the 24 April. Well isn't that more than 10 days ago? Oh yes, I'll just speak to the moving dept. Well I went round in circles with no adequate response from this man in customer services who said he had done all he could. I challenged that by saying how could he when they hadn't informed me it was a 'provisional' booking or that I would be contacted by the 'moving' dept before the transfer took place. In the end he put me throught to the moving dept and I spoke to a lady who said she would look into this and ring back. She didn't.

So I rang customer services again and asked to be put through. After explaining it all again she sorted my tv and broadband, but there was an 'issue' with my phone line. Not enough space in the green cabinet at the end of the road! So it should all be happening Tuesday morning, phone or no phone, hopefully they can transfer it but I wait and see. I have now had 3 text messages and a lady ring to tell me they are definitely coming in the morning. So here I am at my mum's on her wireless connection, working from her house instead of mine cos they couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery!!!

:mad:

orangebird
15-05-2006, 16:17
Thank you Mr Angry, I knew I was right. :tu:

I also know that ntl like to make the rules up as they go along-it's the kind of 'fly by night' attitude they display regularly.

Which bit of 'it's not anything to do with the contract, therefore it does not apply to contract law' do you and the angry one not get? :dunce: :rolleyes: