PDA

View Full Version : Vodaphone Offer question?

ZrByte
22-11-2003, 04:29
Vodaphone seem to have a rather tasty offer....
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?channelPath=Vodafone+Portal%2FOnline+Sto re%2FSpecial+offers%2FFree+phones&promoOID=113426&BV_SessionID=@@@@1908380546.1069474701@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladcjmhjeddecflgcegjdgnfdffm.0

now ive been looking at it for a little while now and I cant see a catch, sureley there is one? Ive been looking for a contract phone for a while but I have been put off with some of the prices, sureley this cant be right?
The prices seem a little high p/m to me but not rediculusly, its the free handset im more interested in, im not a heavy phone user so I may be able to get away with the free minutes & free txts, however I refuse to pay £100+ for a new phone on Pay as You Go.
Up until recently I have been using an old Phillips C10 (Think thats the name, very old phone) that broke and I managed to acquire a Nokia 7110 (Nearly as old but much nicer looking) and I finally decided its time to move on and get a new phone.
I hope it is as good as it looks, but im not soft so I thought I would get some opinions from you guys before I sign anything ;) (I wont have any money until friday, allthough if it is free like it says I should be able to order it ASAP)

Oh and even though this looks like a plug for the offer I assure you its not ;) I have never used Voda before and genuinley would like some advice on this :D (Also I doubt Voda would let someone with such bad spelling and grammar as myself to advertise on thier behalf ;) )

Oh and if this turns out to be a good offer wich phone would you choose?? I am quite interested in the camera.

Steve H
22-11-2003, 09:39
Cant seem to get to your page.. Session expired.

I've been looking for a Phone as well, And dont like the high prices.. but im not sure its worth me going for a contract phone either, yet. Anyway, I've seen the new samsung E700, which has a camera, and a colour screen, etc.. for £79.95 from Phones4U.. Maybe worth a look.

ZrByte
22-11-2003, 12:29
Just goto www.vofaphone.co.uk and look at the free phones offer on the main page. If you cant find it there look in the online shoper under special offers.

Bifta
22-11-2003, 12:54
Just goto www.vofaphone.co.uk and look at the free phones offer on the main page. If you cant find it there look in the online shoper under special offers.

vofaphone? Heh .. I did spot an free n-gage with 15 quid a month line rental on 'vodafone.co.uk' ... which is pretty good.

Tricky
22-11-2003, 12:57
Try this address www.vodafone.co.uk/sun
Just ordered a 7250i (which will be going straight on EBAY - Any offers?) along with Anytime Online 100 (100 Minutes of chat (any network)) 50 Free Text for a total price of £0.00 - £15.00 per month for 12 months

Not bad as wifes current mobile cost me £72 for two months, cos she rings her mate on Orange and the current plan she's on doesn't include roaming between networks on the free minutes.

ZrByte
22-11-2003, 13:20
Yup thats the one, can you guys see any catch with this one? Im sure there must be some catch in there somewhere but I cant find it myself, gonna order it tonight I think if I dont spot any obvious catches soon.
Tricky - When does the first months line rental come out of your account? is it at the end of the first month or at the beggining?

Tricky
22-11-2003, 13:54
Yup thats the one, can you guys see any catch with this one? Im sure there must be some catch in there somewhere but I cant find it myself, gonna order it tonight I think if I dont spot any obvious catches soon.
Tricky - When does the first months line rental come out of your account? is it at the end of the first month or at the beggining?

I would guess it'll be a wierd combination - I already have vodafone billing at home and my invoice date was 19-11 and the line rental charge covered 01-11 to 30-11!!!

ZrByte
22-11-2003, 14:13
So did you pay anything when you ordered the new phone? Its just I dont get payed until friday so if any money has to come out of my account I wont be able to afford it until then ;)

Tricky
22-11-2003, 16:55
So did you pay anything when you ordered the new phone? Its just I dont get payed until friday so if any money has to come out of my account I wont be able to afford it until then ;)

A grand total of £0.00 (Including delivery etc)
You even get a spare pay as you go sim card...
Gets delivered on Tuesday apparently
:)

ZrByte
22-11-2003, 22:22
Sounds good then, nobody has found any obvious catches so im gonna go for it tonight.

Can anyone recomend one of the free handsets? I would prefer one of the ones with a camera, so eterte Nokia 7250i or the Sharp GX10i.

ZrByte
23-11-2003, 02:38
Dammit, lol, I get right upto the Checkout page only to discover that they dont take Solo (My only means of Payment) Oh well, was a great Idea while it lasted.
Tell me if its anygood when you get it tricky, I may yet try other means to get it :)

tomw
23-11-2003, 09:07
sorry i have not looked at this offer for very long but dont seem to get it do you only pay 15 quid a month for this but what is the pay as you go simm for and it does say min twelve month contract

Seb
23-11-2003, 10:02
sorry i have not looked at this offer for very long but dont seem to get it do you only pay 15 quid a month for this but what is the pay as you go simm for and it does say min twelve month contract

Yes you do have to sign up to a 12 month contract

Prices subject to connection to a Vodafone 12 month airtime contract and require a UK bank account.

ZrByte
23-11-2003, 13:37
they are giving away Pay as You go sims at the moment with this offer, probably trying to get more people onto thier Network.

blackthorn
23-11-2003, 14:01
Does anyone know if you can download or transfer the photos from the 7250i to your pc? I know you cant with the sharp gx models or the samsung ericson camera phone (my daughters got one)

Tricky
23-11-2003, 14:19
Does anyone know if you can download or transfer the photos from the 7250i to your pc? I know you cant with the sharp gx models or the samsung ericson camera phone (my daughters got one)

I know you can get USB cables so I would assume you can get the images one way or another.

ZrByte
23-11-2003, 14:58
They have Infra red dont they? You may need to buy an IR port for your PC but im sre that would do the trick.

Seb
23-11-2003, 17:27
I know you can get USB cables so I would assume you can get the images one way or another.

Yes these are available.. but last time i looked into getting one they were around £40!!.

They have Infra red dont they? You may need to buy an IR port for your PC but im sre that would do the trick.

I have this phone, and i use the infra red facility to transfer images across to my laptop. However if you download Nokia Phone Suite, you can do far more that this. For example you can edit you address book, send texts through your pc, and lots of other nice extras. You can download it from here http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,5184,5086,00.html

HTH, any more questions, dont hesitate, i've had the 7250 for over 7 months now, so i know it inside out (just about)! If you want to know the +ve and -ve points about the phone, just ask.

Seb

Buzzby
23-11-2003, 21:17
I know it's not a picture phone but I have 2 7110's with
appropriate software & lead.
I just plug it in, fire it up & download my phonebook for a backup.
I just use my phone as a phone. When I replace them I will go to a 6310 (i) or what, i'm not too sure of the diference. It will however accept my data cable, I can explore it & download the phonebook.
The batteries are compatible with the 7110 and my external charger. When a battery runs down I slap it in the charger meanwhile I just swap in a ready charged one.

Tricky
23-11-2003, 21:38
Yes these are available.. but last time i looked into getting one they were around £40!!.

Seb

Going for sub £10 on ebay - Quality won't be as good, but every phone data cable I have so far (6310, 8250, 8850) have all cost me less than £5 each with a free CD of software (Unlockers!!!) and they all work fine.

Stuart
23-11-2003, 21:43
Samsung Ericson, or Sony Ericsson? AFAIK Samsung make their own phones.

Don't know about Samsungs, but I am sure all Sony Ericssons can transfer images to the PC. You may need to buy software and a data cable for it though.

ZrByte
23-11-2003, 23:01
I know it's not a picture phone but I have 2 7110's with
appropriate software & lead.
I just plug it in, fire it up & download my phonebook for a backup.

Can you add ringtones to the phone with the data cable on the 7110? Ive got one you see and I hate the built in ringtones, someone told me I would be able to add tones in with a cable or IR, only problem is I dont have either and I dont want to buy one unless it will work. I already have a sim card reader for my phone book so it would be a waste of money if it doesnt do the ringtones.

Buzzby
23-11-2003, 23:47
It will, I have done so but the ring tone has to be in a particular format and use logomanager which I have now uninstalled. It conflicts with 7110 explorer which I have installed.
The phonebook is in the phone itself not the sim card. 7110 explorer will read either and I think upload as well.
It will not overwrite the ringtones but will load up to 5 extra ring tones to the phone.

ZrByte
24-11-2003, 03:43
It will, I have done so but the ring tone has to be in a particular format and use logomanager which I have now uninstalled. It conflicts with 7110 explorer which I have installed.
The phonebook is in the phone itself not the sim card. 7110 explorer will read either and I think upload as well.
It will not overwrite the ringtones but will load up to 5 extra ring tones to the phone.

Sweet, now I just got to get myself an IR port for my PC. Ebuyer have them for around £10, gonna order it when I get my DVD-RW :D

dobbin
24-11-2003, 13:53
You can buy a datacable to do it here:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2F&query=nokia+7250+cable&ebaytag1code=3&shortcut=2&currdisp=1&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

for about a tenner, or you could always use IR if you have a port on your desktop...

Seb
24-11-2003, 18:24
Going for sub £10 on ebay - Quality won't be as good, but every phone data cable I have so far (6310, 8250, 8850) have all cost me less than £5 each with a free CD of software (Unlockers!!!) and they all work fine.

I went for the even cheaper option though... jus used me infra red port. Had no need to go out and buy meself a data cable :D Not to handy though if you are resting the laptop on your lap and you want to connect up the phone... the IR sensors on the side, so the phone needs to hover in mid air transfer data to the laptop. :(

Tricky
26-11-2003, 19:19
OK Phone arrived today (not late - I'd got days wrong):

Haven't opened it as it's going on EBAY tonight
Got the free sim card (PAYG)

Main SIM card didn't arrive and I got an email saying that my nice number (after clicking next for 10 minutes to find one) was not available and they've given me another (no pattern at all) :afire: :afire: :grind:

Been holding on 191 (hopefully free from a vodafone) for 36 minutes now waiting to speak to customer services... :grind: :grind: :grind:

Will post an update if battery/me lasts out...

Tricky
26-11-2003, 19:29
:afire: :afire:

:rolleyes:

Doh! - Finally got through, told me that they put the sim card in the top of the NOKIA box without breaking the seal!!! - So much for me selling an unopened NOKIA 7250i

Still on a C*** number though!

Buzzby
26-11-2003, 23:57
Anyone heard of silver or golden numbers
Cellnet ( O2 ) haven't a while ago.
You want a mobile, take what U get, number wise.
A silver No is a more memorable No. A gold No is a VERY memorable number.
A while ago, vodaphone/carphone warehouse would give you this, O2 just said WHAT/que no such service. I know I tried it. Dumb bunnies.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mIKE.
Dumb or what!!!!!