PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade rollout

scottsgameroom
06-03-2006, 19:50
I know this question has probably been asked a million times before, but i was wondering when NTL are expected to roll out the upgrades to 10Mbps to 2Mb customers?

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-03-2006, 19:54
AFAIK They arent. If you want 10Mb you need to upgrade

scottsgameroom
06-03-2006, 19:55
Oh i see, i thought i read on here a while ago that they were going to be upgrading 2meg in April and 1 meg in September?

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-03-2006, 20:01
Oh i see, i thought i read on here a while ago that they were going to be upgrading 2meg in April and 1 meg in September?

i think people were speculating as opposed to knowing

bonzoe
06-03-2006, 20:08
I believe that BT are upgrading (don't know details) so if that is the case NTL will follow BTs lead, leading from behind:D

SLM
06-03-2006, 20:15
i think people were speculating as opposed to knowing :tu: :tu: :tu:

I believe that BT are upgrading (don't know details) so if that is the case NTL will follow BTs lead, leading from behind:D Since when.....when bt can not offer more than 1meg from a lot of its switches you are lucky to get 512k at some.

Derek
06-03-2006, 20:21
I believe that BT are upgrading (don't know details) so if that is the case NTL will follow BTs lead, leading from behind:D

Bt are starting to offer up to 8 meg on their lines. And thats pretty much if you live inside an exchange.

About 3/4 can get 4Mbps with less than half getting 6Mbps or above.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4773880.stm

Paul
06-03-2006, 20:24
i think people were speculating as opposed to knowingNope, ntl announced that it would be done by the end of 2006, as yet they have not said anything about a change of this plan.

SLM
06-03-2006, 21:12
Bt are starting to offer up to 8 meg on their lines. And that's pretty much if you live inside an exchange.

About 3/4 can get 4Mbps with less than half getting 6Mbps or above.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4773880.stm

Well I am going of BT customers that I know, that several of them can not get speeds of over 1meg, they are in different areas also.

etccarmageddon
06-03-2006, 23:25
I know this question has probably been asked a million times before, but i was wondering when NTL are expected to roll out the upgrades to 10Mbps to 2Mb customers?as Paul says, all we know for sure is that it's some time during 2006 and there has been no official announcement of specific time during 2006 or any change of plan.

uno
07-03-2006, 00:05
I see there is lots of work going on this week even more than usual anybody know what the work is for possibly to try inporove download speed ? Nearly all regions this week last time saw so many places undergoing work was just before 10mb rollout

Chrysalis
07-03-2006, 00:31
I find it amusing people asking for further 10meg rollout when they know what would happen if it happened tommorow with the existing problems.

grubbymitts
07-03-2006, 08:44
and I bet they won't give an unlimited 10mb service by the end of 2006. Nope, I'll stick with my 2mb service until they sort it out. I am also not paying £50 for a new modem just so I can get superduper speeds that I'm capped on.

etccarmageddon
07-03-2006, 11:01
I find it amusing people asking for further 10meg rollout when they know what would happen if it happened tommorow with the existing problems.if you're on 10meg and having these 'existing problems' ie. speeds nowhere near 10meg or irratic - if you downgrade to 1meg or 2meg does that fix it?

SLM
07-03-2006, 16:04
I see there is lots of work going on this week even more than usual anybody know what the work is for possibly to try inporove download speed ? Nearly all regions this week last time saw so many places undergoing work was just before 10mb rollout

Around here (NW) I think its for VOD

Zee
07-03-2006, 17:08
so this is for 1MB customers aswell? We will get 10MB very soon? I thought since telewest and ntl are the same company NTL 1MB should be updated to 2MB free and 2MB to 4MB free? what is going on with all these confusing information

jtwn
07-03-2006, 17:12
I thought the plans had been shelved.

Think about it, theoretically, everybody on 10mb and maintaining quality service just cannot happen, caps or not. At a guess, I would have thought ntl would be focusing on newer technologies rather that upgrading speeds on the current system.

Chrysalis
07-03-2006, 17:22
if you're on 10meg and having these 'existing problems' ie. speeds nowhere near 10meg or irratic - if you downgrade to 1meg or 2meg does that fix it?

It makes the problem a smaller one since if I am getting 1.5mbit or 1mbit on 2meg service its not such a big drop in speed. Some nights it can handle 2meg and of course it that case it would be seen as fixed.

My problem appears worse then the norm so if you had 10meg tommorow I would expect you wouldnt be seeing speeds anywhere near mine and be better, but then again it would be on top of the current 10meg bunch of customers and I also expect their is a lot more people on the 24.99 tier then the 37.99 tier so its upgrading a greater amount of customers which will of course have a bigger impact then the current bunch.

etccarmageddon
07-03-2006, 18:48
I thought the plans had been shelved.no news to suggest this and as ADSL and LLU is offering very high 'headline' rates to new subscribers it would be commercially insane to stick with the current speeds.

Think about it, theoretically, everybody on 10mb and maintaining quality service just cannot happen, caps or not. At a guess, I would have thought ntl would be focusing on newer technologies rather that upgrading speeds on the current system.not if the £18 a month product is limited to a very low gig allowance. the main issue would be the £25 product which people will expect to have 20-30gig allowance - I suspect the network at the moment couldnt sustain moving all the 2meg users to 10meg. which brings us to the other issue - you can't move that amount of users to 10meg unless you have the systems in place to detect the amount of gigs people are sucking up per day/month.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

It makes the problem a smaller one since if I am getting 1.5mbit or 1mbit on 2meg service its not such a big drop in speed. Some nights it can handle 2meg and of course it that case it would be seen as fixed.

My problem appears worse then the norm so if you had 10meg tommorow I would expect you wouldnt be seeing speeds anywhere near mine and be better, but then again it would be on top of the current 10meg bunch of customers and I also expect their is a lot more people on the 24.99 tier then the 37.99 tier so its upgrading a greater amount of customers which will of course have a bigger impact then the current bunch.why are you sticking with 10meg then? as it's so poor why not save £10-£17 a month and downgrade. ps. the 37.99 tier is now 34.99.

Sandydog
07-03-2006, 20:39
I'm a 'new' customer to broadband, and have been told my 2mb will go to 10mb in a couple of months, at the same price.

Ratspom
07-03-2006, 22:41
Had a visit from a door to door NTL rep this evening (7th March), trying to sell the full package of TV, Phone and Internet. Told him that I had the lot, he then asked what speed internet package I had so I said 2MB Broadband to which he replied "you do know that NTL are upgrading 2MB customers free of charge to 4MB in April" I told him I was happy with the 2MB that I already had, to which he said ...take the upgrade when it happens and then downgrade to 2MB and save yourself £7 on the monthly rental. Apparently I should have had some advertising info through the door but haven't had it yet so I'll wait and see what happens in April.

Chrysalis
08-03-2006, 18:09
no news to suggest this and as ADSL and LLU is offering very high 'headline' rates to new subscribers it would be commercially insane to stick with the current speeds.

not if the £18 a month product is limited to a very low gig allowance. the main issue would be the £25 product which people will expect to have 20-30gig allowance - I suspect the network at the moment couldnt sustain moving all the 2meg users to 10meg. which brings us to the other issue - you can't move that amount of users to 10meg unless you have the systems in place to detect the amount of gigs people are sucking up per day/month.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

why are you sticking with 10meg then? as it's so poor why not save £10-£17 a month and downgrade. ps. the 37.99 tier is now 34.99.

because I want 10meg?

but since you asked it is probable that if it isnt resolved this week or if I dont hear a ubr upgrade is scheduled then I will be downgrading again or asking for a discounted 10meg service.

You think a unmetered service for £17.99 isnt competitive? I disagree thats very competitive like wise 2meg unmetered for 24.99 adsl products based on ipstream cant match that. Although people are getting excited about a "up to" 8 meg service from adsl the reality is if you are too far from the exchange you can end up with something not much faster then 2 meg or even below 2meg and that will be your "max" speed and put up with the caps to protect the 8 meg service, so using zen as an example previously they sold 2meg unmetered, now it is replaced with upto 8meg with 20 or 50 gig cap but if you synch at say 2400kbps then you still have the 20 or 50 gig cap so you have a downgraded product. Of course contention then comes on top of this, I dont know how bad contention on max dsl will be but I suspect it will be heavy.

Worryingly this country appears to be moving a same speed fits all approach and sticking different cap levels on rather then lower price = lower speed and having some unmetered in the mix, countries who are mature then us in the broadband market are not doing this (yet).

jtwn
08-03-2006, 19:19
Worryingly this country appears to be moving a same speed fits all approach and sticking different cap levels on rather then lower price = lower speed and having some unmetered in the mix, countries who are mature then us in the broadband market are not doing this (yet).

No thats because, basically all the ISPs (minus cable, wireless and LLU) have to pay BT for using 'their' network, hence BT sets its charges on bandwidth.

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-03-2006, 20:10
Nope, ntl announced that it would be done by the end of 2006, as yet they have not said anything about a change of this plan.

according to the release on this site it (Augusts i think) it said "Up to 10Mb" didnt mention that all tiers would be 10Mb or that there would only be one tier IIRC

KenK
08-03-2006, 22:47
.. it would be commercially insane to stick with the current speeds.Since when did that influence ntl? :rolleyes:
according to the release on this site it (Augusts i think) it said "Up to 10Mb" didnt mention that all tiers would be 10Mb or that there would only be one tier IIRCAll broadband speeds from all providers are quoted as "Up To". IIRC that release did say that all users would be on a "up to 10Mb" tier, with the download cap being the difference between the price points.
If the upgrade plan has been shelved, maybe they could announce that and let us all make a choice about our supplier.;)

etccarmageddon
08-03-2006, 23:47
according to the release on this site it (Augusts i think) it said "Up to 10Mb" didnt mention that all tiers would be 10Mb or that there would only be one tier IIRC

re-read it...
...aim is to make 10Mb its standard broadband access speed.

Chrysalis
09-03-2006, 01:49
No thats because, basically all the ISPs (minus cable, wireless and LLU) have to pay BT for using 'their' network, hence BT sets its charges on bandwidth.

ntl are planning to do it with the 10 meg tho and they dont have bt wholesale costs.

the bt wholesale costs also happen to be a joke and has wrecked adsl on ipstream.