PDA

View Full Version : NTL Community sees sense

Russ
21-11-2003, 23:59
Anyone else notice what happens when you go to NTL's Community website at http://community.ntl.com (http://community.ntl.com/) and click on any of the links?

Have they finally seen the light??

Frank
22-11-2003, 00:06
That's great news :)

Maggy
22-11-2003, 00:07
:shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

so who's been playing? ;)

Incog. :scratch:

Russ
22-11-2003, 00:08
Whoever it was, I'd shake him by the hand :)

Or her :)

Bill Payer
22-11-2003, 00:09
Andre is really Ash G. ;)

Paul
22-11-2003, 00:15
Anyone else notice what happens when you go to NTL's Community website at http://community.ntl.com (http://community.ntl.com/) and click on any of the links?

Have they finally seen the light??:LOL: I wonder how long that will last ......

Not sure what the relevance of the ASH G comment is - are you in the right topic ?

Frank
22-11-2003, 00:17
:LOL: I wonder how long that will last ......
Surely they can't take two sites down in two days. :monkey:

Russ
22-11-2003, 00:18
Never underestimate the incompedence of NTL :)

Sociable
22-11-2003, 00:22
Can't help but think the joke would have been even better if the link was to the BT new accounts registration page or maybe even the Oftel complaints page.

Russ
22-11-2003, 00:24
Never underestimate the incompedence of NTL :)

...or of my spelling at almost half-past midnight :dunce:

Florence
22-11-2003, 00:37
Can see the headlines tomorrow the person in charge of NTLs project has been suspended pending NTL inquiry into the biggest internet blunder of the year first the .com forums are removed then their infamous community links to another more customer friendly community. :angel: :naughty:

Maggy
22-11-2003, 00:42
Well fascinating as this is I must go get some sleep.

Incog. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Flubflow
22-11-2003, 00:52
Is this some harmless clever trick or has some stupid fool really hacked into an NTL website and altered these links?

kronas
22-11-2003, 00:57
well whoever has done it has done a good job :p

Emperor Ming
22-11-2003, 01:03
:Yikes: twice in a day , I can't cope with all this humour :spin:

handyman
22-11-2003, 01:05
lol, brilliant piece of work. I suspect ..... is behind this and I alplude him. :D

Florence
22-11-2003, 01:06
wonder if someonewill have to go in and pull the plug on their community now... :rofl:

Linda
22-11-2003, 01:15
Part of me thinks its funny, the other serious, I'm confused with this one. :spin:

bigboab5
22-11-2003, 01:16
I have a feeling we ain't heard the end of this!!!!

Bigboab5

willie
22-11-2003, 01:27
Speechless

Frank
22-11-2003, 01:31
Can't help but think the joke would have been even better if the link was to the BT new accounts registration page or maybe even the Oftel complaints page.Someone must have read your post Sociable because the Contact Us link on ntl community now points to Oftel.

Linda
22-11-2003, 01:37
I can't help feeling worried that someone is going to get into trouble. Sorry for being serious, when its probably meant to be a joke. I know the Community site is not that popular as an idea, but I can't see anything kicked when it is down.

Flubflow
22-11-2003, 01:53
Funny or not, on the face of it, it seems that a criminal offence(s) is being committed.
Plain wrong if you ask me.

th'engineer
22-11-2003, 08:49
As usual there is going to be the conspriacy theory, so here is my starter on this development, that dr plummer is in fact Aizad.( no malcious intended dr plummer only joking ):D

Also its all a plot, that who ever closed it did not have the permission to do this within NTL.

NTL never go back on anything they do because it would make them look incompetent again :rofl:

So they have put the links into .co.uk to placate the customers and the grown ups within NTL.

NTL have all the details of the people who complain, within the forum so they can approach them individually.

Fraz's objective was to find out who they are and create a list

:smokin:

Jon T
22-11-2003, 09:31
I think the main danger of this move(if it was authorised by NTL in the first place), is that it now looks as if the forums on this site are part of the community.ntl.com website, there is no reference to it being an external link, so people clicking on it will incorrectly assume that it is an NTL controlled and owned forum.

Sociable
22-11-2003, 09:34
Ponders if this is just a badly handled climbdown by NTL?

Someone just forgot the site closed down was .com and the links should have been back to that in preparation for our glorious return.

(Well ya never know they seemed to be taking note of my advice about Oftel and they know I also think .com should be back live. LOL)

Anyway back to the Rugby

La la la SWing Looooooooooo.........

Oh my God!!!!

Forget .com Johnny is down.......

Oh wait a sec he is up again could this be a prophetic sign.

basa
22-11-2003, 09:40
I think the main danger of this move(if it was authorised by NTL in the first place), is that it now looks as if the forums on this site are part of the community.ntl.com website, there is no reference to it being an external link, so people clicking on it will incorrectly assume that it is an NTL controlled and owned forum.

C'mon guys, catch up !! This has got to be a hack !!!!

Even they aren't daft enough to trash a site they owned and controlled in favour of one they don't and can't !!!

I just think there is no one left at ntl now who will admit to knowing enough about 'hacking' to remove the links !!!!!

Must admit I think it is one of the best 'hacks' I've seen in a long, long time !! Respect to who ever did it (and thought of it etc / Sociable).

Sociable
22-11-2003, 10:07
Must admit I think it is one of the best 'hacks' I've seen in a long, long time !! Respect to who ever did it (and thought of it etc / Sociable).

Onest Occifer twasn't me twas my evil twin Anti-Social. :rofl:

Seriously though as some have suggested it's a dangerous game someone is playing they could decide to try to retaliate but to be honest it's so laughable I can't see them taking it that far they would lose even more face.

Bill Payer
22-11-2003, 10:08
Not sure what the relevance of the ASH G comment is - are you in the right topic ?
:rolleyes:

Jon T
22-11-2003, 10:09
I see your point and agree that it is most likely to be a hack, however my point is that if so, it still makes nthellworld.co.uk look like a part of community.ntl.com which it is not.

NTL will also no doubt remember that the last hack performed on an NTL related site(not owned by) was performed by one of their own staff that was a member of their own forum(.com), the raises the possibility that they(NTL) may start pointing fingers towards here(and the membership) as a possible source of the hack.

I normally steer clear of these types of discussions because i'm not really into this sort of speculative debate.

Shaun
22-11-2003, 10:38
Someone must have read your post Sociable because the Contact Us link on ntl community now points to Oftel.

:LOL: At least something works over there now then!!

Russ
22-11-2003, 10:38
OK having discussed the situation this morning with a few others, the light-heartedness from last night wasn't really appropriate - I apologise for not taking the matter seriously last night. If indeed Community has been hacked (and it would appear that way) then I certainly would not condone such action.

TheMole
22-11-2003, 10:39
Ummm, the links don't point to .co.uk for me, I get the one about Oftel on "Contact Us" but I get the normal ntl ones on Forum, Knowledgebase etc.

Apart from abuse that 404s

Shaun
22-11-2003, 10:41
OK having discussed the situation this morning with a few others, the light-heartedness from last night wasn't really appropriate - I apologise for not taking the matter seriously last night. If indeed Community has been hacked (and it would appear that way) then I certainly would not condone such action.

Oh Russ, it wasn't likely to be any of us, if some silly person has hacked their pathetic site then its them that needs to be expecting an enforcer at the door in the early hours.

I still think its highly hilarious, but it does make you wonder if this can be done so easily, then what about their billing/personnel systems?

ntl customer
22-11-2003, 10:49
Seems that someone has "unhacked" community as all the links at the top go to their respective pages with the exception of the contact us one which goes to the OFTEL site :rofl:

Still, none of the links (like the ones to the CM driver files) appear to work at all.

handyman
22-11-2003, 10:58
but it does make you wonder if this can be done so easily, then what about their billing/personnel systems?

The billing systems cannot be accessed externally dell.

They only just work internally :erm:

bigitup_j
22-11-2003, 12:37
well ntl have totally craped it up! no nthw.com and community.ntl.com isn't working now.

oh dear...ntl have really put their foot in it.
they close nthw.com and someone hacks into the community website. LOL. hope it causes ntl alot of trouble, idiotic company... :Yes:

Russ
22-11-2003, 12:40
Apparently community is offline while they make it 'more secure'....

basa
22-11-2003, 12:48
well ntl have totally craped it up! no nthw.com and community.ntl.com isn't working now.

oh dear...ntl have really put their foot in it.
they close nthw.com and someone hacks into the community website. LOL. hope it causes ntl alot of trouble, idiotic company... :Yes:

Lets hope in the light of all the criticism they dont decide to take it out on us ............... users generally and .co.uk specifically ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:disturbd:

Hope I,m not giving them ideas !!! :disturbd: :disturbd:

Bob
22-11-2003, 13:08
He He He :D

Andy E
22-11-2003, 13:14

<snigger> I agree <rofl>
Soz Russ but i think it's the funniest thing that's happened in ages
10 outta 10 for style.......Respect to whoever did it

Andy E
NTL pirate

Linda
22-11-2003, 13:37
The Community site may have been pulled at the moment because the hacks seem to effect more than the links. Unless the TOS have been lifted from the NTHellworld.com site, to the Community site and are in the process of being adapted?:

TERMS OF SERVICE

(Under: 4. Forum Use )

NTHellworld.com:

†˜(p) Someone has to interpret the above guidelines and how they apply to nthellworld.com. That person is Frank Whitestone, the Editor of nthellworld.com. There will always be exceptions which are grey areas, but We think most people will recognise the line when crossed. The Editorââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s decision is final when applying the TOS.ââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢

Community.ntl.com:

†˜(p) Someone has to interpret the above guidelines and how they apply to community.ntl.com. That person is Frank Whitestone, the Community Editor. There will always be exceptions which are grey areas, but We think most people will recognise the line when crossed. The Editorââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s decision is final when applying the TOS.ââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢

http://community.ntl.com/terms.php

Alan Waddington
22-11-2003, 15:04
Sorry to be a sourpuss over this, but expressing admiration for deeds that will get someone (else) into legal trouble is irresponsible. We collectively should discourage such actions.

Alan

Russ
22-11-2003, 15:06
That's quite correct. I (and others) have been quite irresponsible in what has been said over this. No matter how much some people dislike NTL, if someone has commited an illegal act against them, that is no reason for celebration.

{FU}Fubar
22-11-2003, 15:11
well what you all expect from ntl regarding customer based sources and such, they couldnt give a monkeys and the rediculose lack of security on one of their sites show it in plain black and white lol

Jon T
22-11-2003, 16:48
I may be jumping to conclusions here but http://community.ntl.com does not seem to exist at the moment.

Russ
22-11-2003, 16:54
Read posts 37 onwards :D

Jon T
22-11-2003, 16:57
Read posts 37 onwards :D
:blush::dunce:
i went through the thread twice and looked for a mention of it but couldn't find one, damn skim reading, must slow down!!

Florence
22-11-2003, 17:25
Apparently community is offline while they make it 'more secure'....
If its to their normal standards then I feel its safer to not join them..

fraz
22-11-2003, 17:57
That's quite correct. I (and others) have been quite irresponsible in what has been said over this. No matter how much some people dislike NTL, if someone has commited an illegal act against them, that is no reason for celebration.

You stillhave contacts within NTL don't you Russ ? In which case surely the most sensible thing you could have donne rather than spam the matter across the forums was to alert somone inside NTL. Just my opinion :)

Maggy
22-11-2003, 18:05
You stillhave contacts within NTL don't you Russ ? In which case surely the most sensible thing you could have donne rather than spam the matter across the forums was to alert somone inside NTL. Just my opinion :)

well you know now.perhaps you can tell them?

incog. :kiss:

Russ
22-11-2003, 18:08
You stillhave contacts within NTL don't you Russ ?

Yes, as anyone within the AUP will know.

In which case surely the most sensible thing you could have donne rather than spam the matter across the forums was to alert somone inside NTL. Just my opinion :)

The last time something like that happened I took a load of heat from NTL over it so this time I wasn't going to bother. I wouldn't condone this sort of thing but I'm certainly not going to do them any favours.

ntl customer
22-11-2003, 21:17
Interesting to see an announcement of the downtime of community on ntl's service status page...

Does any ntl customer actually know about community?

Paul
22-11-2003, 23:24
This was, it seems, done just to embarass NTL, it was obviously done for a laugh and that's all that happened.

It brightened up our evening for a while and no real damage was done.

Believe me, having seen what "hackers" can really do to a site, NTL should be thankful that this little joke was all that happened.

Florence
23-11-2003, 00:14
Interesting to see an announcement of the downtime of community on ntl's service status page...

Does any ntl customer actually know about community?

Or was it NTL's way to let customers know about comunity. members here visited coz of it and now its down its on the status page so other customers who perhaps didn't know but watch the staus page will now know. I will not be using it as everytime I have visited the community it is not what I like in help.

After all they closed NTHELLWORLD.com down without a word to members :cry:

downquark1
23-11-2003, 12:43
Can someone tell me what happened :(

I'm away for one day and this happens.

Sociable
23-11-2003, 12:51
Can someone tell me what happened :(

I'm away for one day and this happens.

For a brief period all the links from "Community" pointed back to this site.

After a short while one link was changed to point to "Oftel" , which to me indicates this was not some clever revenge code but an active entry into the site. EDIT: (As I had jokingly suggested this would be funnier in a post here just a short while before that change was made.)

I do accept though that if it was indeed a poison pill code and the code pointed first to another location to gain the revised links that would have been possible too.

Since then the "Community" site has been taken down which again indicates that they at least fear it is still vulnerable.

Hope that get you up-to-date.

Paul
23-11-2003, 13:39
There are allegations in other places that this was not the result of "hackers" but had been coded into the operating program.
The links were not "hard coded" but pointed to another redirecting piece of code.
Well I can certainly confirm one bit of that, I did notice they were not direct links but passed an "id=x" type parameter to another piece of php code (I can't remember the exact format).

Nemesis
24-11-2003, 14:47
Community seems to be completely offline today ... :eek: