PDA

View Full Version : Implications of swapping Network Card

me929292
06-03-2006, 18:18
I seem to remember there was some implication in doing this? As I recall it was in a really excellent and very informative FAQ but i've lost the link to it many PC crashes ago. Anyone know what I mean and where it now resides

I am about to update the Network Card in my PC, attached to a Cable Modem via Ethernet to a Gigabit card. Can anyone just advise me of any side-effects this might have? and what, if any procedure I need to follow once I boot everything back up?

TIA.

M.

MovedGoalPosts
06-03-2006, 18:25
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

On the assumption that your current network card is already a 10/100, a Gigabit card won't get you a faster internet connection.

Only implication from a cable point of view, since you use a modem, that I can think of is the need to power off the modem when you switch over the NIC.

Of course there may be software on your own PC that is expecting a specific NIC mac addy. I've seen this on a work server where I replaced a card and horrible things like DNS then didn't work properly.

me929292
06-03-2006, 18:46
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I thought I read somewhere, many moons ago, that it too some time for the cable-modem/NTL to synch with the Network Card. I could be talking total rubbish as I can't see why that would be but all the better if not.

I know I won't get bettter NTL speed, I already have 10/100 card, runnning at only 10 via a hub and I get close to 10Mb. I'm just upgrading the network for the additional of a new PC.

BTW, do you know where that FAQ is located these days?

M.

Halcyon
06-03-2006, 18:47
Yeah it should simply be a process of turning off modem and a router if you have one, and then changing the card, and rebooting.
So just remember to turn off the modem.

There were a few issues when people did this and used a set top box, but for a cable modem a simple power off should do it.

Graham M
06-03-2006, 18:48
Are you going to upgrade the Hub then too? Perhaps a Router instead would be a good bet