PDA

View Full Version : FFS NTL sort your service out !

cabletj210
06-03-2006, 17:42
As many people have complained, heres another.

Have a 2mb connection and it is still disconencting, getting timeouts or simply pausing(correct term maybe packet loss)

Some days everything is fine others I get disconnected every 5mins fron online gaming.
Its not my equipment otherwise it would do it all of the time, everytime I contact NTL via BBmedic they run a simply test and say its working m8, call us when it happens! USELESS

Because when it happens it does so for a few seconds while the modem resets itself and comes back on, by the time i get through to them its working again.

One very angry Terajet owner :mad:

** goes away and starts looking for other BB suppliers that install lines as i don't have a BT line connected to house **

Neil
06-03-2006, 18:10
Have you actually rung ntl Tech Support to report your issues?

Gareth
06-03-2006, 18:13
If I was you, I'd politely point out when you next call NTL about this problem that you have previously called on numerous occaisions, and that the problem is still not resolved. Ask them to look at the calls logged against your account - they should be able to tally up the number of times you've had this problem. They should also be able to access logs for your modem to see exactly how many times the problem has been occuring (so probably not a good idea to exaggerate the problem, as they'll have access to the data).

If necessary, escalate this issue to the representative's manager, explaining all the problems you've had, and that although you're eager to get these issues resolved as quickly as possible with the help of NTL's 1st-line support staff, it seems that this may be beyond their capabilities, and that you'd like assurance from the manager that this will be escalated to any tier-2 or senior support staff.

Start logging the number of times you've had to call NTL about the same problem without it being resolved successfully. Also, take names of people that you speak to - this always helps ensure your call isn't ignored, as people don't like to know that they're personally responsible, so they're more likely to deal with your call.

When someone says to you that they need to go away and do something, or they need to escalate the issue to their superiors, make sure that you get a timescale of when they will get back to you and via what means, and explain to them that you will contact them personally if you don't hear from them - this also means people are less likely to put your issue at the end of their to-do list. Get their extension number, or some other means of contacting them personally... they'll most likely not want to give you this, but if you explain that you have already had to deal with numerous different people for the same issue, and that each time you speak to a new person you have to waste both your time and theirs going over the same details again and again and again, then you'll usually get something.

Finally, remain calm but be forceful with them. There's no point in shouting down the phone at them - firstly because the person you're shouting at is 1st line and maybe not in a position to resolve the issue personally, and secondly because you'll just p*ss them off so much that they'll give you some excuse to get you off the phone, and will then ignore your issue for as long as possible. You will get much better service if you remain calm and collected, but are also determined of what you want achieved and by when, then if you lost your temper. (ps - this technique is the same for restaurant waiters and air hostesses too! :erm: )

Finally - and I'd only use this as a last resort - if you're a long-term customer and you pay NTL a lot of money each month, then you might be able to get somewhere by speaking to their retentions department, and asking for details about cancellation procedures. Don't actually say that you want to cancel, just ask for details of the steps to follow... and then casually drop in to the conversation that you're having so many problems with your broadband that you're considering going with one of NTL's competitors. If you do this properly (and if you get lucky) you can get the person from retentions to put some pressure on the support team to prioritise your call.

If all the above fails, then there are some people here who might be able to lend a hand ;)

cabletj210
06-03-2006, 18:35
Have you actually rung ntl Tech Support to report your issues?

Not about this issue, I talk to them via BBmedic and there should be no difference, all agents should be competent via phone or BBmedic.

The reason why I haven't called them is because they are useless from previous experiences, they don't log calls, you don't get a reference, you phone back and the next person know nothing about your issue.

The last person i spoke to on bbmedic said that there are no modem logs and i'd have to call in when i get the issue, but if there are no logs then they wont see the issue because it would have reset itself by then.

And of course no doubt they will try and blame something on my pc or get me to look at things that i have already covered being a tech support agent myself.

And lastly, it always happens in the night when they are closed.

Graham M
06-03-2006, 19:52
Ring them.

Russ
06-03-2006, 20:32
I agree - the vast majority of ntl's people will do a good job. Give them a try and let us know what they say.

Nedkelly
06-03-2006, 21:30
Hello there what area are you in .In Lincoln there has been a lot of faults with this modem since the qam was changed :rolleyes: .The modems would work for 30 mins then start rebooting :td:

Chrysalis
06-03-2006, 21:35
nedkelly is lincoln rolling out qam256?

Nedkelly
06-03-2006, 21:38
;) It been done now for about 2 weeks only prob the techs have seen is the terajet modem rebooting :)

Chrysalis
07-03-2006, 01:12
ok thanks I just needed verification its been rolled out.

Ignition
07-03-2006, 04:33
ok thanks I just needed verification its been rolled out.

Doesn't have any bearing on when you'll be seeing it I'm afraid ;) it's been ongoing for some months now.

cnewton2k
07-03-2006, 20:12
i know this is a bit of topic but what is qam256 and what does it do??

bywater
07-03-2006, 20:53
I'm also getting a bit P'd off with the quality of broadband from NTL it as really gone in decline and down the pan now and as been for over the last few months and I am almost in the process of thinking about walking. The service as frankly been ****e. Over thirty seconds to download pages. Tons of pages not found even thou people with other isp's manage to get them perfectly well and quicker on lower asdl conections. I know I have tried other peoples connections and was amazed how bad NTL really is if you haven't tried the competition. Even dial up feels better than what I have at the moment. Been having loads of times outs. Modem disconecting you name it it's been hapening and the good service I have had for five years is now pants. Yes I have have problems in the past but no where near the time scale we are on now. My default proxie doesn't work so have to do the merry dance of finding another which is not the best solution and not much better. Tech support in india just full of bull and never solve anything just usual reboot modem pc etc. I think I should be getting a discount for the degraded service. :mad: :td: All these problems seemed to coincide with the 10meg upgrades. All I want is decent browsing !

Could anyone recommend any reliable ADSL ISP's for around £24.99 or less because I don't think I can put up with my service from NTL for much longer and I won't be recommending anyone else join at present either.

lordy
07-03-2006, 22:44
Could anyone recommend any reliable ADSL ISP's for around £24.99 or less because I don't think I can put up with my service from NTL for much longer and I won't be recommending anyone else join at present either.

Check adslguide.org.uk (If you can access it :) and do a comparison.

All below is just my opinion:

Consistent good performers are Eclipse, Nildram, Zen, Pipex. Probably others. My strategy is to stick to smallish companies. as they seem more eager to please and you tend to get hold of the right people quicker. Avoid anyone that says they only support Windows & MAC. It's usually a sign of inflexibility. After all this is supposed to be the "Inter-net"!

Lordy